Notices

My First NA Meeting!

Old 07-06-2006, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Addict

My First NA Meeting!

Hello everyone,

I've been annoying everyone with my fear and struggle of making my first NA meeting... and last night I actually did it. (Earlier this week I "did it," but no one showed up except one other newcomer. See post "Two Feet Finally...")

It was a large group, maybe 50 or so people, who split into 2 groups for the majority of the meeting (newcomers/non-newcomers). Although I was entirely lost, not knowing exactly what was going on (when the group spoke together, handing out keytags, etc.) , it was a great experience. It was amazing to hear the stories from other people. I was the only one there who was a first-timer, but they acted like I was a part of them already. It was truly an eye-opening experience for me, one that I will never forget. Since they meet every day, sometimes a couple of times, I will definitely be going back. Plus, I got my "welcome package" with all the info I need to actively join their group ("Still Working On It" in Longwood, FL).

I can honestly say that this experience has changed my outlook on becoming sober. Being online has been great for me, but seeing and going to a meeting in person had a huge effect on me. I'm still figuring out my personal way of staying sober (meetings, no meetings, online, etc.). I believe that each person has their own special way that works best for them. Not all of us are the same. BUT... Going to a NA meeting (physically walking into a room with other addicts helping each other stay sober) has been essential for me, especially to help with step one. I saw with my own two eyes that I was indeed an addict, and that there were so many people just like me. Different, but the same. I look at everything in a different light now. I am not completely convinced and ready to "admit powerlessness," so when you are as stubborn and as skeptical as I am, you need to slapped in the face a few times before you are 100% convinced. Last night I could feel something in me change, something I didn't even realize was still doubting this whole thing. I have a lot of work to do, but I can see better now. I think the in-person way of staying sober is definitely "sobering" for me... and I think I will need that for quite some time, just to keep my head on straight.

Thanks for listening. I love to be able to release my feelings here. And thanks for all the support! Without this site and all of you, I would still be in my own "wonderland." THANK YOU.

Sending best wishes, positive thoughts, and peace to all of you,
Jennifer
Old 07-06-2006, 07:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jennifer That is GREAT news and I am so glad you got to one...

This has made my day !!!!

GOOOOOOO Jennifer !!!!!

~B
Old 07-06-2006, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hurray Jennifer! I'm so glad that you checked out a meeting and that it went well! I think people forget how intimidating it is to walk into your first meeting. It is so important for first-timers to be welcomed into and made to feel a part of the group. You will find that you can become as much or little involved as you want. I am still in the process of building new friendships and relationships with sober people in my AA group. In fact, I am going to start attending a new group because my "home" meeting doesn't have many women volunteer to be sponsor and I really need a sponsor right now.

It sounds like you like the group you attended. But remember, each group is different and it is common to shop around or attend several different meetings. I'm so excited that you have found something that you didn't even realize you were missing!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No more hostages

Wonderful news! NA saves my life on a daily basis- I am sure it will do the same for you if you let it...
Keep coming back!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Did you like it pepole can be so nice.!

As been said NA save lives.!

Whishing you ALL the best in your new choice...

Old 07-06-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

CONGRATS!!!!

YOU DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting us know, this is GREAT news!!!!! Keep us updated!!!!!!

Liss
Old 07-06-2006, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is truly fantastic! I am so happy for you!!
Old 07-06-2006, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Keep going back Jen!

it works if you work it - so work it you're worth it!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 10:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
REZ

Going to meetings is a powerful experience: much more powerful than sitting down at a computer. Glad you made it and hope you keep going...
Old 07-06-2006, 02:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Way to go that is awesome it really is a huge step and it is also in the right direction Make a commitment like the Basic Text says and just do the deal. Just For Today, we never have to use again.

Love Vic