Notices

"Reality" Nightmares

Old 07-04-2006, 03:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

"Reality" Nightmares

Its early morning day 4. The sun isn't up yet. I came online to write this because I just had a pretty bad scare and I'm hoping to calm down some.

I've always been a pretty vivid dreamer when I'm well-rested (or sometimes overly tired), ever since I was a child. These dreams range anywhere from very enjoyable to curious to outright nightmares, (yeah, there's times I've woken up screaming -- when I realize it wasn't real I start thanking God that it was only a dream). The first half of the Tom Cruise version of War Of The Worlds is straight out of a recurring childhood one of mine, for example.

Usually they're not an issue -- just a pleasant memory in the morning even if there were dark overtones. The graphics are usually amazing and you get to actually experience them rather than just look at them -- kind of like being inside a wild poster -- some of them would make great movies, I think.

Anyway, this one started with me in bed and the cell phone ringing. I answered it, still laying in bed with my eyes mostly closed, (it should have been a clue -- I don't keep my cell phone by my bed). It was a girl from the USO asking about a contribution I promised to make. I figured I just hadn't seen the stuff in the mail yet, but she was telling me that they had no record of my birth father ever having me as his son.

I went over our names with her, explaining that I'm well documented due to my military service, realizing that the pleasant dream I had just been experiencing was a dream induced by the TV still being on, (another clue -- I don't have a TV in my bedroom).

In the middle of the call I "woke" up, still in bed and looking towards the door. The TV seemed to be on in the other room and I could hear noises from someone unwrapping some food.

I tried to clear my head and fully wake up, laying there with my eyes open. I knew something was wrong and that I was in danger. I live alone and the cat doesn't mess with the remote or unwrap her own food.

You know how you have that sense, if you check it, of whether you're in a dream or if its real? I checked it and it came back real.

While I stayed frozen, listening for a few seconds, a guy walked past the bedroom door and I knew that my home had been invaded. A second or two later he walked past again this time coming through the door and started messing with something on the dresser, (I think it was the clothes I was wearing the night of the second arrest). At that point I knew I was in serious danger and I had to act quickly if I was going to save my life.

I could see him plain as anyone, wearing a red muscle shirt although I couldn't make out what it said on the shirt. A big guy with a bald or shaven head -- come to think about it, he reminded me a little of one of the people at a few of the AA meetings. I couldn't tell if there was anyone else in the living room.

Anyway, I started thinking about what weapons I had around the house, and that I should keep some closer to my bed. With no other option, I started jumping up out of bed, shouting, to rush the guy. Maybe I could throw him off balance for a second or two and pummel him or get to my shotgun, (the katana might have been a better choice -- it wasn't closer but it takes less time to "load" and would have put more distance between us -- but then again, I didn't know if there was anyone else in the living room).

That's when I actually woke up, eyes still open, still in bed but half out of it, (I don't know if I actually shouted or not), heart racing and realizing that I was alone in the apartment.

I fell back down to the pillow thanking God that it wasn't real. A few minutes later I came here to ask about it.

. . .

Thinking about the symbology involved, I think the "invasion" was me joining AA and being so open and willing to make a change in my life. Perhaps the USO part was a hint about where I should seek to do community service before the court dates.

So far I don't feel any sense of it being a trigger, so I don't think I can attribute it to hints of craving (physical aspects). I guess I'll throw it into the psychology category.

Anyway... Anyone else ever have these types of "reality" nightmares? The ones where you think you aren't dreaming and are in danger? ... What do you do about them? ... How often do you have them?

Thanks for letting me share. This helps.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the information -- I think I have heard about that. A couple of times recently, I have been in a dream where it was very difficult for me to talk -- my mouth just wouldn't move right.

Isn't there a hormone or something that's released when you fall asleep that prevents your muscles from responding to the nerve impulses generated by your brain? Didn't they do some experiments with cats at one point? The cats were up and walking around playing even though they were completely asleep?

I think I was concerned with the meaning behind the dreams with respect to recovering from this disease, and the inability to distinguish it from reality when I "checked".

Thanks for the googles -- I'll check into them. I have woken up a few times in the past unable to move, but I didn't really think much of it. I just figured my body was still waking up.

Its the "terrors" aspect that I'm more worried about. Is this a DT's thing? Should I expect more of this as the alcohol works its way out and my cells repair? The "reality" aspect of it scared me silly.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

After I posted here this morning I went back to bed. I had another nightmare. This one wasn't a "reality" nightmare, it was more of a full length feature film that I was participating in.

I'm not going to get into a whole lot of detail, but there was definitely a component of evilness to it. The whole thing was like something straight out of Heavy Metal.

I remember... well, for want of a better phrase... the Ancient Space Monks, each of them thousands of years old. I remember one in particular, his dark robe, his face, the markings on his face, the feel of his presence, the veiled power, and his eyes... Especially his eyes... Ancient, tortured, accepting of his place, saddened at seeing the same patterns repeat themselves in the world, eager for time to move on, very much in the present but very much in the past. Tortured.

Its not so much that they are on our side as it is that they're required to allow us to be on a part of their side. Don't stumble across one of their homeworlds though, because then they'll use you as a food source.

In one part I was standing almost knee deep in a muddy kind of liquid muck, using a shovel to scrape and dig up another layer from the bottom. There were thousands of people there and many Monks (which was considered unusual) all working at the same task. Something was going on. Aside from the task of clearing the bottom, there was something else we were all looking for. Something bad and all but forgotten that was buried long ago and we needed to find it before the enemy did.

I asked and the Monk told me to look down. I saw bones in the muck. He told me that all this land was once a burial ground for humans. I felt the bones and shards under my feet under the muck and started feeling sick. I moved away to a dry patch of ground, looking for a clear place without bones in the dirt.

That was part of it. Another part, most of it, took place in a "Little House On The Prairie" kind of small town. By that time I knew what we had been looking for. Someone had inadvertently dug it up and something evil was trying to get out. We were all working to put it back, and to bury it again and to keep it sealed.

Again, for want of a better phrase, call it the Crucifiction Machine. I can practically draw it for you. The entity lays face down and is pressed between two hydraulic plates as multiple spikes tear through each wrist. I can see the blood pouring down. It keeps you alive enough to continually endure the pain and the whole thing is sealed into a self-contained chamber that is silent so that no one can hear the screams.

Someone had dug it up. The entity inside was pure evil and someone was trying to let it out on the world. We got it back inside. One of the Monks jumped in just as the outer seals were being closed and the whole thing was being buried knowing full well that he'd get caught up in the mechanicals and be sealed inside the middle chamber forever. He said he was going to make sure the entity didn't get out again even if someone else dug it up once more.

I'm sorry if I'm being too graphic here -- I went into more detail than I intended. Imagine how it felt dreaming it.

. . .

What do I take from this? ... Consider the symbols.

The evil entity might be my addiction, or the results / effects / consequences of my addition, or the self-willed nature that has to be chained in order to submit to God's plan for you.

The "Little House On The Prairie" town might be the goodness in the world, or the things we can achieve together if we do it God's way instead of always fooling ourselves and trying to do it our way.

The Monks... Well, I think all I can say about that is that we are not alone in this world and never have been. The angels came before us and they're always watching.

Thanks for letting me share, people. I was pretty shaken up. I guess I have more of this ahead of me as I get better. I'm going to put this one into the sprititual category.

Any thoughts? Comments? ... Should I keep sharing these as they happen or am I only detracting from things here?
Old 07-23-2006, 10:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

[Bumped for Popov] ...
Old 07-24-2006, 01:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Many Thanks, learning more about myself and my brain on alcohol
Old 07-24-2006, 01:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Hi Green Tea, i have nightmares aswell, the sleep pralasis is true its happened to me.

I have nightmares of extreme Violence..? {sp}? happenening to me.
Sleep with my eyes open at one stage, then i even started scratching my eyes in my sleep.Horriable.Scarry.

I use the radio n put on soft music when im going through periods, of nightmares, its something to do with the back ground noise that settels me.

Give it a try, the bed time routine can be really helpful too.!

Tired out, during the day
Bath
warm drink
No caffiene after 6pm
Good Book
Good night
Hope your sleeping and your house is geating cleaned by those fariys.

Hugs...x
Old 08-16-2006, 11:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bumped for GymRat
Old 08-16-2006, 11:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks For Helping me out the other night GT...X

Hope things are going well for ya Honi....X
Old 08-17-2006, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yep I can relate also.

I've also suffered with nightmares...and they felt so REAL, couldn't wake up as hard as I've tried, tried to scream repeatedly but only a moan would come out of me till I was able to wake myself up, which felt forever, by then pretty shook up from how awful and scarey and evil they've been. Haven't had any for over a year, the last one was the worse...I swear it was really happening, I could see people I don't even know, and feel everything so clearly, ugh it gives me shivers today to even think about that again.

Is good to know we're not alone with this. Does make you wonder though.

Here's to good dreams from now on gang.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Relax = Relapse

When i was still detoxing I had a horrific nightmare that I was eating a giant marshmellow and when I woke up my pillow was gone.......
Old 08-17-2006, 06:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
On a tear

When my mom was detoxing from alcohol, the docs told her that Vivid dreams were normal because her body was catching up on missing REM sleep.... supposedly the part of sleep where we dream - and a part of sleep that is disrupted by alcohol abuse.

She had plenty, as well as DTs and some "everyday" hallucinations.

Don't know if this helps.... how have the dreams been lately?
Old 08-17-2006, 07:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well its late again, ... 3am... and i carnt sleep again...!

This is starting to become a problem for me...!

I need more focus.

Another restless, sleepless night...!