Notices

Hello, I'm new to the board

Old 06-29-2006, 10:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm new to the board

Hi there, I'm new here to the board. I'm a 36 female and just realized that I'm an alcoholic. I started drinking a few months ago after experiencing an unpleasant family situation (big financial problems). Anyway... I have been drinking straight vodka for months and decided yesterday that I wanted to stop. I did however polish off the leftover vodka this morning. Well, I want to stop because it is ruining my life. All I ever want to do anymore is drink. I've become depressed, tried to cut myself a few times, and ended up in the psych ward on a 5150 a week ago. Also, today I made myself throw up because I don't want to get fat. I can't live like this anyway, and don't want to. This is what drinking alcohol has done to my life. I don't even leave the house anymore. I have 2 beautiful girls and I need to do this for them as well of course. I have a very supportive fiance too. Just wanted to introduce myself. I think I can really do this, BUT... what if I can't? What if I go buy a bottle tomorrow. Thanks in advance for the support!
Old 06-29-2006, 11:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome to SR

Thing is... You can do it.

With meetings, rehabs, or straight out tuff it out... it can be done.
Why work hard when you can work smart?
By seeking out meetings for support and info, you will find that things go a lot easier then trying to do it alone.

A place you may want to start... read the posts that say sticky beside them at the top of each board. You will find them to be a great source of infomation.
Again...Welcome and Yes, you can do it.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Best for the welcome! Thank you for the support. I think I can do this. I am going to try my damndest! I am seeing a therapist so she is there for me, as well as my oldest daughter and fiance for support. I know I can do this because my oldest daughter has come a LONG way herself. She was in a bad way... addicted to alcohol, pills, cutting, bulimia, suicidal, and she has psychosis. She suffered for years and she finally got on a good anti-depressant and anti-psychotic. She is now in college and doing great in her life and she is SO inspired and trying her best to be her best with the help of her wonderful therapist! If SHE can do it I know that anybody can. She is my inspiration So thank you again.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I also wanted to ask if it would be ok to talk about other things. I am not only addicted to alcohol but also addicted to food, I'm co-dependent and I suffer depression and anxiety.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Each person that comes to SR has experiences and knowledges of the things they have learned from in their own lives. As you look at the names of each board, you will see that each area is covered. Those who have experiences in each area will reply (most times) on each board/forum. By doing so, the people with the most imput and support for each area are found.

I am sure we will gain from what you have to share and hope that you find many answers here as well.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! There's a lot of great folks here - whatever rough spots you have in your recovery effort, pop in here and read some posts (the search function is great if you have a specific question topic) or ask for advice. I've been so impressed by how much the folks here are willing to help you along the path - the answers are here and the support is invaluable! Best wishes to you, and a cheering banana chorus line, too!

Old 06-30-2006, 06:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can relate to where you are at... my father committed suicide last year on July 1. It hit me very hard. I had been drinking hard for about a year before that and that really threw me over the edge. I was emotionally, spiritually, physically and financially bankrupt.

On the flipside, a year later, I am sober, happy, healthy and financially doing great.

What ever you do don't give up. We are all here for you.

Peace Levi
Old 06-30-2006, 06:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Welcome Dollparts and fellow Californian bay areatype person.

You came to the right place for some great support and advice. Feel free to PM me with any questions or anything you might wanna gab about. I'm a recovering alcoholic too.

Suga
Old 06-30-2006, 07:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, Dollparts--

I'm so glad you're here! This is the best place on the internet, and the people here are priceless. I couldn't have made the progress I have against alcohol without them.

As Best said, there are boards here for all sorts of things we struggle with: eating disorders, mental health, alcoholism, etc.

Please stick around and keep us posted on how you're doing.

Take care,
Jane
Old 06-30-2006, 09:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Dollparts! Don't worry about tomorrow or the next day. Just take care of today. As long as you don't drink today, tomorrow doesn't matter. I hope you can find other ways to deal with the problems.
Stick around -- you'll find great support here!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Dollparts. Welcome to SR. I am also a recovering alcoholic, and had awful anxiety problems until I quit drinking...now I see how related the two were for me. You'll get wonderful support here. It's touching to hear that your daughter is your inspiration! Good for you, and good for her. We're all here to help...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, today is a new day. I feel like I am beginning to walk for the first time. I opened my eyes, somehow managed to make it out of bed and then make my morning cup of coffee. I am determined to take this thing one minute at a time and I will not buy any alcohol for right now. I think that I can make it all day with no alcohol. I will just pray. I started to pray for the first time and I think it may be a good thing for me. I am by no means religious but I do have a spiritual side to me and it is comforting to know that I can turn to God with my problems. I want this to be a happy weekend for me, because I get my youngest daughter for the weekend. She is excited to come here and I don't want to be a mess in front of her.

I'M SO GLAD TO HAVE FOUND YOU GUYS! WOW...WHAT SUPPORT!!! Thank you so much for caring. I am going to try and get thru the day. I'm not saying depression won't hit me later...but I'm gonna try and hold on here. Thank you again SO MUCH.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Dollparts!

Glad you are here!

When I was sick and tired of being sick and tired, I went to an AA meeting.

Saved my life.

That was May of 2001.

Never had another drink. It works if ya' work it!

Stick around!
Old 06-30-2006, 05:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi there,

I'm new too, and I can relate to your fears! It has been four days for me now, and it feels so good to wake feeling energetic and guilt free. That feeling will carry us a long way, I think.

Hang in there! You can do it.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well, the days half over and I'm fine. I don't want to drink at all. I did earlier when I had some unpleasant feelings. I was tempted, but didn't buy any, and I won't buy any tonite. My daughter will be here soon. I feel fine and I feel good. Wow! I didn't think I would be able to go thru the day without alcohol! If I make it thru the night then it will be DAY 1 for me sober!
Old 06-30-2006, 05:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm so happy for you, Dollparts! You can do this
Old 06-30-2006, 06:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Dollparts!!!
And Congrats on taking that huge first step. I am an addict, alcoholic, I have dealt with depression and anxiety all of my life, I also suffer from agorphobia. I am disabled due to gran mal seizures since I was a child.
When my daughter was in Jr. High and then all through high school, her best friend (who was like my second daughter) was a cutter. We got her help and she is now a JR in college and hasnt cut since before highschool graduation.
If you EVER need to vent, rant, cry, or just talk, please come here, the support is awesome. PM me anytime you need to, I usually check the boards frequently through out the day so I will respond pretty quick.

I have been drug free for 2 years now, and off the bottle (well, beer can) since june 11th. I still have so far to go but I take it a day at a time and it really helps. Best of luck to you, and again, Welcome!!!!!
Liss
Old 07-01-2006, 05:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR Dollparts ....huge congrats going out to you in chosing sobriety and facing up to the fact there's a problem.

Wishing you all the best in your journey to sobriety....you've been so blessed finding SR, the knowledge here is unlimited.

Hugs.......
Old 07-01-2006, 07:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

welcome to SR dollparts. Make yourself comfy, step over all the choccie wrappers and take a seat
Old 07-01-2006, 03:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello dollparts! I wanted to add my welcome. Glad you found us. SR is a wonderful place for support and encouragement, and don't worry, almost all of us have issues with more than one thing. You are not alone!

Congratulations on making this big first step. We're here for you. Hang in there!