Notices

Mom helping son--where to post first?

Old 06-29-2006, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mom helping son--where to post first?

Hi everyone....I'm not sure where the best place to start would be (on this forum). Our family has been dealing with a loved one (my son) and substance abuse for about 2 years now and yesterday he finally asked to be taken to a hospital so that he could have some help withdrawing (alcohol), but they weren't helping him "fast enough" so he refused to stay...long story, but he came home with me and is still sleeping.... I have a lot of questions and just want to post in the most appropriate section of this board. I know I'm going to need the support as we TRY to get to the next step so I don't want to waste anyone's time. Please guide me to the right section. and thanks for being here!
Old 06-29-2006, 06:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Durango,
Welcome to SR.
I think you'll find there's rarely a "wrong" place to post, but it sounds like you may have much to gain by visiting one of the sections under Family and Friends.
I usually hang around Naranon, due to matters that concern my son....and as I found my own matters that needed addressed.
Regardless of where you choose to hang your hat, I think you'll find a true welcoming committee at hand
Again, welcome...we all walk together
((((hugs))))
Cece
Old 06-29-2006, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Hi and Welcome!!

If you have some questions about alcoholism there is a forum there. Also, you may want to check out the Al-anon forum. They will understand what you are going through.

Glad you're here!! There is hope!!
Old 06-29-2006, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Hi Durango and welcome!

This is a great place to start posting. Al-Anon and the Friends & Family forums as the others have said is a great place to talk to other people who have many of the same issues.

This one is kind of a catch all forum. So just post away and you will be answered.

I hope your son is really ready to receive help for his alcoholism. Please, also, remember it is not your fault that he is on this path. Speaking as an alcoholic myself I know guilt can wrack not only the alcoholic but friends and family members as well cuz they feel they somehow caused it or contributed to it or could have prevented it. Not so.

Hang in there and again... Welcome!

Suga
Old 06-29-2006, 07:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the responses....I'm heading over to the family and friends section and then some others. I'll be around here for awhile and maybe even my son will take a look too...I have hope!
Old 06-29-2006, 07:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Since the hospital wasn't that helpful, try a regular doctor. There are medications that can be prescribed to help him with the W/D's and such and they can refer him to a good counselor or something along those lines. Take care and there are also forums down the page for alcohol abuse as well just above the substance abuse forums.

GP
Old 06-29-2006, 07:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugasnaps
Hi Durango and welcome!

This is a great place to start posting. Al-Anon and the Friends & Family forums as the others have said is a great place to talk to other people who have many of the same issues.

This one is kind of a catch all forum. So just post away and you will be answered.

I hope your son is really ready to receive help for his alcoholism. Please, also, remember it is not your fault that he is on this path. Speaking as an alcoholic myself I know guilt can wrack not only the alcoholic but friends and family members as well cuz they feel they somehow caused it or contributed to it or could have prevented it. Not so.

Hang in there and again... Welcome!

Suga
I'm hoping he is too, Suga! First step is that he's even here, so we'll see how the day goes! I will be talking to you further later on. Thanks again for the encouragement.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here you go...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/

Welcome to SR!