Notices

The hurdle I can't seem to get over

Old 06-26-2006, 01:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

hi Jennifer, I am Star and I am an alcoholic. Thank you for sharing your feelings with us. I know it can be hard to open up and actually be honest about your addiction.
I have known that I am an alco. for years, it has only been in the last 7 days that I have admitted it to ANYONE else.
You seem to be beginning your journey. To me, the first thing might be admitting you have a problem, but the next is you have to WANT to stop, you have to see beyond a shadow of a doubt if you keep it up your life will NOT be good. It may end in DWI, jail, or death. There are so many other possibilities, I believe death and complete lack of self worth to be the worst.

I may not be able to preach and I apologize if it sounds like that, I have 7 days, but they have been some of the GREATEST days in a LONG time.
I felt so good yesterday, I went to 2 meetings. I was afraid if I started to feel so good, that I just might start thinking about having that drink. I also have to remember to give credit where credit is due. God, AA and SR have given me these 7 days.

I MUST NOT!!!! UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES pick it up.
If you are not involved in AA or NA may I strongly suggest it. You dont have to go in there believing 100% of the spirituality of which they refer to, you just have to have the DESIRE to stop drinking or using. It is absolutely true, Take it ONE DAY AT A TIME.

I wish you nothing but the absolute BEST, be strong, come here, go to a meeting whatever it takes to keep from picking it up just for today.

Star
Old 06-26-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for sharing your struggles with us as it lets us know that we are not alone. I can seem myself in your words. I relate to you so much...I have certainly had my share of struggles along the way and it definitely hasn't been easy. I kept holding on to that self-will and trying to control things that were beyond my control. As long as I refused to surrender, I continued to relapse and get worse and worse. I kept relapsing and losing more each time. I went to any lengths to get to that point...drugs and alcohol kept me sick.

...Finally, I hit a point of surrender and had to not only have the desire to stop but the willingness to do what it took to STAY stopped. Half measures availed me nothing. I kept fighting against it and I kept getting swept away downstream.. absolutely a nightmare. Today, I am doing stuff that I don't feel like doing to stay sober but if I had waited around until I felt like doing it, my addiction probably would have destroyed me even more or worse, killed me.

Jennifer, you are not the only one who struggles. I know you can do this. There will be bad days but keep the faith that you can get through it.

Hang in there and stay strong!