Notices

Remember that freewheelin' drunk feelin'?

Old 06-25-2006, 03:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Remember that freewheelin' drunk feelin'?

That was what I missed the most when I started recovery here! I was never addicted to the point of physical withdrawal symptoms, but had heavy emotional investment in alcohol and felt that it was my main source of fun. I was working last night and found myself painting, singing along with the radio and just about giddy - felt just like a medium-strength alcohol buzz, but I was sober! (And it didn't have that undertow feeling of "you sorry drunk old bag!"). What a wonderful feeling - the magic comes back into life and is better than ever! Anybody else experience this? I wanted to share this with my friends here at SR - maybe it will give someone who's missing that feeling something to consider...

Love and gratitude to all here - I couldn't have got this far without SR!

Old 06-25-2006, 03:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ndgrace

How wonderful for you! I agree, I was reading today's daily reading before church today, and thinking, God, I am so greatful, I went on vacation to the beach for a week, and never thought about having a drink. I had a great time without it, and now know what I have been missing. I do not miss that obsession! Gratitude is really important, I think we need to share positive experiences. I truly feel, God is doing for me what I could not do for myself!
He is good all the time!
Old 06-25-2006, 04:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you for sharing that feeling you experienced. I've felt it now and then too. Looking forward to feeling it all the time.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

on down your recovery road!
Old 06-25-2006, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep- I stopped drinking six weeks ago today and I have also been pleasantly AMAZED at my capacity for fun while sober! Yesterday my oldest son (17), husband and I were out for lunch and we were laughing so hard my stomach ached! I used to have a great sense of humor, but I have been pretty brittle the last couple of years (unless I was wasted!). It feels good to make people laugh again..

I am also feeling a lot lighter all around- I'm really intrigued by the concept of alcohol causing depression. I always thought I drank too much because I couldn't have fun without it- now I see that I couldn't have fun BECAUSE of it. We went out with friends the other night and I didn't even mind sticking to plain lemonade and soda- especially when I watched my husband deal with a terrible headache the entire next day!
Old 06-25-2006, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OctoberKayte
Yep- I stopped drinking six weeks ago today and I have also been pleasantly AMAZED at my capacity for fun while sober! Yesterday my oldest son (17), husband and I were out for lunch and we were laughing so hard my stomach ached! I used to have a great sense of humor, but I have been pretty brittle the last couple of years (unless I was wasted!). It feels good to make people laugh again..

I am also feeling a lot lighter all around- I'm really intrigued by the concept of alcohol causing depression. I always thought I drank too much because I couldn't have fun without it- now I see that I couldn't have fun BECAUSE of it. We went out with friends the other night and I didn't even mind sticking to plain lemonade and soda- especially when I watched my husband deal with a terrible headache the entire next day!
Thank you for that. On a related note, I fell off the wagon about 2 1/2 months ago after 4 1/2 months sober. I had been a heavy drinker for over 16 years. I got stressed out (new job, new apartment, away from friends, etc...) and decided a bottle of vodka would chill me out. Well, two months after that, I've finally stopped drinking again (now on night 6), with the oh-what-a-no-brainer realization that the drinking almost invariably adds to my stress in life, rather than reducing it.

I think your son must be especially glad to see his mom lighter in spirit (no pun intended) as well.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

"...had heavy emotional investment in alcohol and felt that it was my main source of fun. I was working last night and found myself painting, singing along with the radio and just about giddy..."

"...I have also been pleasantly AMAZED at my capacity for fun while sober..."

I'm still waiting for that to happen -- which I know is the wrong attitude. I have to PARTICIPATE in life again in order to feel that joy IN life again. But then it is only day 19.