Notices

Perception That Eludes Us

Old 06-17-2006, 08:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Perception That Eludes Us

The perception that eludes us is amazing. One can see one thing one way, and another person see it the other way. Is one way right and the other wrong? Or is it that some might not be on the same road or path as the other? Is it because one person is wearing one pair of glasses and the other has taken contacts? Is it all based on fear. Fear of thinking or doing something different? Always making sure that our point is pointed out!

Through out the years in recovery, a total of 4 1/2 now, I have learned an amazing amount of knowledge. Knowledge that is golden to me, knowledge that I would have never obtained if I didn't go to meetings, working the steps, sponsorship, and of course the path that I choose now is to live the principals in all of my affairs, living the program leads to change. Change that happens only if we are open-minded and willing to look at things in a different way.

Here is an example. I wanted to make a comment on a thread, and yet I had to sit back and ask myself "How important is it really?" How important is it to try to get your perception across to someone, when YOU already remarked about something. That perception of mine doesn't have to be right, wrong, or indifferent., IT JUST IS! It kind of goes back to that part in the Big Book that says "How important is it compared to my emotional sobriety?" The emotional part of the sobriety is probably the biggest deal in my perception.

If we contain or maintain our emotional sobriety, then there will be no room left for a chance of going back to the situation when we first got into the program which is and was abstinence from drugs (alcohol is a drug). So that is my perception of that.....Does it mean that I am right, does it mean that I am wrong, or is it just is? There doesn't always have to be a wrong or a right. We don't have to make our point, we don't even have to elude the perception that we see. Wow what a revelation to be able to just say, "IT JUST IS!"

So when we come here and reply to a thread, do we really respond to what is at hand, or is our perception what is replying to what is read? So many questions that we have no answers, and yet more will be reveled. Some people say that all our old ideas have to be replaced with new ones. Most of us tend to agree on that, for the simple reason that our old ideas, didn't do us any good. So as I finish here, I just want to thank each of you for your perceptions, for it gives me room to grow and to look at things in a different aspect with different glasses

Love Vic
Old 06-17-2006, 08:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Thanks Vic, very insightful.

Kevin
Old 06-17-2006, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by nogard
Thanks Vic, very insightful.

Kevin
You are welcome Kevin just putting down things, couldn't sleep, thinking (Whoops I am not suppose to think) of the different aspects of the things that I used to think were so embedded in stone and now they are not all that important. Anyway.....LIFE IS GOOD CLEAN!
Old 06-17-2006, 08:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Knowledge is key but useless if we don't use it when we need it the most.

I know what you mean about perception. I often wonder if putting my 2 cents in is really worth it, does it matter, does anyone care? Then I realize that thinking about it helps me recover and you never know who may connect with what you are saying, that is the bonus.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by 2dayzmuse
Knowledge is key but useless if we don't use it when we need it the most.

I know what you mean about perception. I often wonder if putting my 2 cents in is really worth it, does it matter, does anyone care? Then I realize that thinking about it helps me recover and you never know who may connect with what you are saying, that is the bonus.
Perceptive and therefore an inspiration LeAnne. Yep knowledge is dead on its own, my best thinking got me here. Thanks.

Kevin
Old 06-17-2006, 09:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

2Dayzmuse Then I realize that thinking about it helps me recover
Very profound LeAnne very profound.......

Love Vic
Old 06-17-2006, 11:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is always something to be gained from the shared experiences.

Good post!
Old 06-18-2006, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that no one can see things exactly the way that we do. Maybe close sometimes, but not exactly the same. We are all here on earth to learn whatever it is that we need to learn and what I have to learn isn't exactly the same as what you have to learn. But, sharing our experiences helps all of us to grow.

Thanks Vic!
Old 06-18-2006, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

With addiction being undeniably a disease of perception, getting outside our own heads by being open to considering the perceptions of others is essential for recovery to even begin, before it can progress. As Nogard stated in another current thread, just as addiction is a progressive disease, so is recovery a progressive process. So long as we remain isolated and trapped in our own best thinking, we remain stuck. It's as important (perhaps MORE important) to consider and respond to the thinking of others, than it is to merely spell out what's ongoing in one's own mind. Because the former requires consideration of outside perspective, the latter is just talking TO others. You see? Exposure of the workings of one's own mind places that thinking at risk of being criticized, scrutinized, exposed for what it is. Being open to receive such outside perspective is necessary for recovery from this disease of perception. So important to think about. Thanks Vic.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Knowledge is key but useless, if we don't use it when we need it the most.
This statement, perception, ideal, has caught my eye this morning! This is so right on tune to what I have been going through here lately. The knowlege that I have acquired (which is a huge amount) and finally taking the knowlege and putting it into effect in my life today. Instead of just letting it be, but to activate it into the stream of life. All the years in recovery and just now finding out that life is to be enjoyed, lived!

Hope4life There is always something to be gained from the shared experiences.
The only way that we grow is through sharing our experiences, no matter how we perceive them to be. The more that we share, the more that we learn, the more that we learn, the more that we grow, if in fact that we practice the principals in all of our affairs. That is why it is so important for us to journal our journey somewhere, somehow, and not keep it all to ourselves, for our journey may be the journey that might save someone else's life.

51Anna what I have to learn isn't exactly the same as what you have to learn. But, sharing our experiences helps all of us to grow.
aloneagainor Being open to receive such outside perspective is necessary for recovery from this disease of perception.
luckyv2 So as I finish here, I just want to thank each of you for your perceptions, for it gives me room to grow and to look at things in a different aspect with different glasses
Wow the above quotes are almost identical and yes what someone might have to learn the other doesn't and yet it sheds light on all perceptions so each of us are able to see which perception is for us. We don't have to agree or we don't have to disagree, It JUST IS! That right there is intriguing and to say the least must be a God thing, for all the statements have opened up a channel that each perception is in fact a way of growth.

Isolation would then hence our growth if we kept it all to ourselves. And yet our perceptions that does elude us from time to time is so vital to the rest of the players that are here. Journal's help the perceptions that elude us, then we are always able to reflect on what has happened or what is going on. Just amazing

Love Vic
Old 06-18-2006, 09:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's an 'Ah Ha' moment Vic!
Old 06-18-2006, 10:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by 51anna
That's an 'Ah Ha' moment Vic!
'Ah Ha' moment, I like the sound of that rather than a God thing. Hum good to still be teachable.

Love Vic
Old 06-18-2006, 11:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

I guess that makes us a team. When perception eludes us, veering us off course, another can get us back on track. Teamwork, it's a good thing...
Old 06-19-2006, 09:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

I guess that makes us a team. When perception eludes us, veering us off course, another can get us back on track. Teamwork, it's a good thing...
YES YES YES that is why we are all here to help each other, and teamwork is very important I agree.....

Love vic