Notices

Is this normal?

Old 06-17-2006, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is this normal?

I woke up this morning and I felt like I had been drinking last night (even though I didn't.) I had a headache, and I was shakey, the way I usually am after a night of drinking. I have heard about "user dreams" but I only dreamt that I met my friend from high school, who told me that she had been sober for 15 months, and at the end of the dream, she started drinking again, and I was incredibly upset. I have felt great for the past three days, but today I swear I feel hung over. Is this normal?

Thanks,

Katie
AKA **** Ma (Goddess of Change)
Old 06-17-2006, 09:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I'm not sure if it's 'normal', but I'd bet that your body is still going through changes and adjusting to life without alcohol. So, hang in there and hopefully the symptoms will disappear soon.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Jai **** Ma!!!

I love your name. In fact, **** helped get me sober. Okay, enough chit chat.

Yes. That is very common. Think of the reality of what "detox" entails: Your being is getting rid of toxins. Your being is more than just the physical body; it is your mental state, your emotional state, as well as your spiritual being.

The hung over feeling is a sign that OLD toxic material (mental, spiritual, emotional, and physical) is on its way out of you. However, on its way "out", it has to begin circulating, and then it goes through the channels of elimination. Some of these are obvious to us, but others are more subtle. We eliminate excess through our dreams, through our exhalations, through our pores, etc.

You als may have an imbalance of intestinal flora and enzymes called candida/yeast. When yeast is deprived of its food source (sugar/alcohol/yeast foods) the organiosms begin to die off, which throws more toxins into the bloodstream. Yech. headache, shaky, mental fog....thats what it feels like.

What to do? Accept the process and stay in the boat during the rough ride. It WILL get better. Let this phase educate you as to how stressed your body was becoming and let that encourage you to treat it better from now on. I told my body, "The worst is over, in the past. Its time to heal." (Who knows if this has any effect? I think self talk, especially positive, does. Just my humble opinion)

Drink tons of water, with fresh lemon if possible. Avoid the temptation to be overzealous right now in making huge diet changes. Be gradual if you are weaning from offending foods, because its better than drinking alcohol. That said, limit sugars and caffeines.

Good luck! I see you live in CT/ Me too!
Old 06-17-2006, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As I recall, I didn't really feel "normal" physically until I had been sober about 10 days or so. The first week I was really shaky and jumpy (although after the first few days it wasn't too bad but the first 3 or 4 were really rough!). It takes time to get the stuff out of your system. It was a few months before the emotions started to smooth out. I would be really happy one minute and in tears the next. I thought I was going crazy but the people at my group told me it was normal and would pass....... and they were right!

Hang in there and keep up the good work!
Kellye
Old 06-17-2006, 09:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank You Miss C. You seem to have a wonderful outlook on all of this. Thank you so much for your support. It's helping tremendously.

Katie
Old 06-17-2006, 10:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Katie...
I felt very much off balance physically the first week of my sobriety. Not shaky so much as easily fatiqued. It's been a wee bit over two weeks now and I feel fine physically. I bet things will settle down for you soon. Hang in there,
drew