Notices

Summertime..is the living easy ????

Old 06-15-2006, 11:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Summertime..is the living easy ????

I thought we needed a little injection of something a little lighter so I am posting this hoping you can offer some suggestions.......

Summertime signifies all the pleasantries of life...fresh squeezed lemonade...flip flops....pool/lake/river/pond side living....camping...etc..

So I want to know "what does summer signify to you...???" how does summertime affect you as a person...what memories do you hold on to in regards to this time of year .....some of us have summer all year so it may be hard to narrow it done or post all of them ......Have fun and HAPPY SUMMER...

~ B
Old 06-15-2006, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I remember when I was a kid and I was out for the summer break, I would ride my bike all over town with my friends and take a dollar up to the store and come home with a bag full of candy. Then my family would usually go to Panama City Beach for a week before school started back. Those were the days, no cares, no worries, just fun!
Thanks Smyle, I needed that solice if even for a few minutes.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I remember riding all over town too..trying to ride with no hands or making your bike as cool as possible.... makes me smile ...
Old 06-15-2006, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What about turning on the sprinkler in the front yard and running through it on hot days. I always loved that!
Old 06-15-2006, 01:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Summer is all about having a stack of good books to read out on the back porch while the kids run through the sprinkler and eat Otter Pops. No school events to drive to or keep track of--pure bliss!
Old 06-15-2006, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Jinx!!
Old 06-15-2006, 01:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just came in from doing exactly that....kids were going CRAZY in the sprinkler as i read an old journal of mine... I try to read them every know and then makes me appreciate what is in front of me....and how far I have come !!!
And no school anything... no making lunches ...no making sure we get there on time.... summertime...finally
Old 06-15-2006, 01:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

1,2,3 slap blue jinkx on you. Is that how it use to go? I can't remember that far back.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I thought it was like someone buys someone a coke ??
Old 06-15-2006, 01:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We use to say the 1,2,3 thing and then slab something blue and then the other person couldn't talk until someone said their name 3 times.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What crazy southern game are you playing ...... LOL you are totally cracking me up... Okay so tell me how this works so my kids can enjoy it...the jinx then a 1,2,3 and then I slap something blue and my kiddo has to be quiet until someone says thier name 3 times....that is awesome...I wonder how long I can keep em quiet .... do i have it right miss georgia thang .....
Old 06-15-2006, 03:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Swimming
Slip n Slides
Ice Cream Trucks
Catching Fireflies (poor things)
Fishing
Bomb Pops
Firecrackers
Softball Games
Drive Ins
Barefeet
Picnics

You know, it just dawned on me, a lot of that stuff we miss doing as kids, we can still do as grown ups. Even if most of us don't get summers off anymore!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yep we can still be kids even as adults....going to the drive in this weekend ...for the first time in a LONG time....
Old 06-15-2006, 05:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think that's the new version
Old 06-15-2006, 06:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mr .HELP ME I HAVE KIDS

WE Are going to dorney parkthis weekend! and i think it used to be kinx you owe me a beer and well I dont want it so that doesnt work LMAO!!!!
Old 06-16-2006, 06:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Smyle
What crazy southern game are you playing ...... LOL you are totally cracking me up... Okay so tell me how this works so my kids can enjoy it...the jinx then a 1,2,3 and then I slap something blue and my kiddo has to be quiet until someone says thier name 3 times....that is awesome...I wonder how long I can keep em quiet .... do i have it right miss georgia thang .....
Yes mam' and you say it while you are doing it. If I can think of any more things like that I will share but that was a long time ago. Let me put my thinking cap on for a while.

Oh, NYCGirl, I am 36 so it can't be that new but I like thinking that the old things that I did could be a new version, makes me feel younger. Thanks!
Old 06-16-2006, 06:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My favorite summer pastime was getting up at 5 am. and going fishing with my Grandpa. If not, I was still up at 5 am, in the barn, saddleing my horse and taking off like thunder over the hills and through the streams. Just me and my horse! By 11 am. I would head back and Grandma always had a killer old fashion southern lunch waiting. The rest of the day was swimming and being a kid!
Old 06-16-2006, 07:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally posted by Lollipop:
My favorite summer pastime was getting up at 5 am. and going fishing with my Grandpa. If not, I was still up at 5 am, in the barn, saddleing my horse and taking off like thunder over the hills and through the streams. Just me and my horse! By 11 am. I would head back and Grandma always had a killer old fashion southern lunch waiting. The rest of the day was swimming and being a kid!
That sounds perfect! (And now you made me miss my grandparents--they were the best.) (sniff!)

This reminds me, in the summer my grandpa LIVED for gardening--I've got such fond memories of helping him in his garden when I was a kid, and doing so later after I had my first child and lived nearby. I still have the little notebook/journal he used to keep track of the seeds he planted, when water/fertilizer was applied, etc. and love reading through it. He grew up on a farm, so gardening was his way of bringing a bit of his childhood into the suburbs where he & my grandma retired.

So for me, summer also means growing a nice veggie garden--I feel like it connects me with my grandma & grandpa.

Thanks for starting this thread, Smyle!

Jane
Old 06-16-2006, 07:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My grandparents lived about 25 miles from us and we went up there every Sunday for lunch/dinner. During the summer, if I wanted to stay with them I had to stay from Sunday to Sunday (unless there was an emergency) so I remember every summer packing for a week at a time and staying with them and helping in the garden and canning vegetables and playing with my cousins next door. This is fun, thanks Smyle!
Old 06-16-2006, 08:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

We would wait til dusk and all the neighborhood kids would meet and we would play hide n seek. I wonder if I can still get everyone to do this!!! KJ