Notices

Sleep Problems

Old 06-08-2006, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sleep Problems

Wow, I have been so busy! I feel really exhausted lately but I just started taking vitamins a few days ago. I also ran yesterday. I ran for 30 minutes on a local track and I felt better. I've been having trouble sleeping lately. I will lay in the bed with my eyes shut, toss and turn, and just lay there for a long while before I fall asleep. It effects how I feel during the day and my energy levels are suffering but hopefully exercise and vitamins will boost that soon.

;-) Trying to keep up my energy for school. I have so much studying to do that my head is spinning, LOL. I think I can graduate in a year or somewhere around there so I'm kind of happy and kind of sad at the same time. Why in the world would I feel sad about graduating???? Ahhh....maybe because the unknown of what is after college is looming on the forefront of my mind. One day at a time, one class at a time, and one step at a time.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I also wanted to say that if I'm not around too much lately, it is because I am really busy with school, meetings, and substance abuse counseling which I start next week. Just wanted to let you all know so no one gets worried. I don't have too much time to be on the computer unless I'm working on school stuff. I am not going anywhere permanently though.

Love you all-

*Hugs*
Old 06-08-2006, 12:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Good to see you around Cheryl yes it is a busy life. I am in counseling, out-patient, working. Yes take care of ourselves is the most important thing. Yesterday in my out-patient my counselor said this is a selfish program and what the definition of that is Self CARE first. hum that is something new.

Love Vic
Old 06-08-2006, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

See if this helps..:scratchch
Sleep Link

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/
Old 06-09-2006, 11:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for that info. I tried a few of the tips on that list and even though it still took me a while to fall asleep, when I did fall asleep, I stayed asleep throughout the night. Before bed, I also warmed up a cup of milk and after I drank that, I worked on relaxation techniques.

Last night, I watched NBC's new show, "Windfall" before I went to sleep. I tried to get a little 'me' time to relax. I have been on the go all week long...but I am remembering to take care of myself.

Learning is somewhat difficult because my mind is still a bit foggy but I am determined to do well. Maybe the exercise will help me focus better.

Grateful to be sober today!
Old 06-09-2006, 11:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Some folks have their sleep patterns return to normal in a relatively short period of time. My husband says he can't relate to anyone having sleep problems...even through detox, he slept. He takes a nap most every afternoon when he gets home from the office. Three minutes after his head hits the pillow at night, he's out.

Me, well, that's another story. For the first year, I felt like a baby w/my days and nights screwed up. Others shared with me that it took up to eighteen months before they got on a regular sleep schedule and felt refreshed during the day. For the most part, I get between six and eight hours a night, and once in awhile, I even manage to get a nap in the afternoons. But...a couple-few times a week, I wake in the middle of the night. Sometimes, I manage to pee, get a drink, and go right back to bed, and other times, I'm up for hours. I'm also a student, and it can stir up anxiety if I let it. And trust me, my first couple of semesters, I let it a lot. Then, I surrendered. If I'm sleepless and concerned about classes, I take the time to read, study, work on a paper. I might be tired in class the next day, but if I push through, I usually sleep well the next night. If there's an opportunity for a nap, I might take it, but often, that just sets me up for another sleepless night.

The best suggestion I got when I was making my 4am calls early on (I had wonderful friends who meant it when they said, "Call anytime!") was to get up the same time every day regardless of how much sleep I was able to get the night before. That routine would beget more routine in my sleep patterns. She also told me, "No one ever died from lack of sleep."

Good luck in your upcoming classes. I don't go back till the end of August, and I'm actually missing it a bit, though not enough to do a summer semester! Keep it real, take it one day at a time, and it will be okay, Cheryl.

Glad things are going well for you!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 06-09-2006, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

hi ya HFL, i have major sleep problems too.insomnia is pretty
common.see your Dr, see what they say???
Its awful when your hanging around at 3/4/5 in the mornin listening to the birds. the steets waking up.its been with me now for along time.
ive tryed the lot, from medication to medatating,relaxation tapes,
chinenise breathing tecks.....?[thats a good one actually qi goung]
but still its wont go away.try a bed time routine,dinner,bath
mosturiser....?,relax,no coffee ect...i do find that things like that
can help.
Good Luck honi.............

let me know how your getting along..!
Old 06-09-2006, 04:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Hope...Glad your staying busy with school and I hope you will get your degree in a year or so...How exciting...I too am going back in the Fall, now that I have been clean a little while I can start to focus on my future.

I have had terrible insomnia past several days....It comes on sometimes and drives me crazy !!!! or should I say crazier LOL.
I really like my substance abuse counselor...she has literally saved my life !!!! Though I only realized that recently...been seeing her for a year now.

Good luck and I will look for your posts...stay strong ....