Notices

Hi, I need some advice.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Richard

Hi, I need some advice.

Here's my story so get ready if you're brave enough.

Lately I've had a few problems and have been drinking far too much for the last year. I'm a very outgoing person but I've hit the bottle very hard to deal with my problems. I realised I had a problem around 6 months ago but ignored it until I visited the doctors, told him how much I drank per day and was prescribedclomethiazole edisylate capsules as I was finding it hard to function in work due to the withdrawal symptoms (anxiety, depression you name it) and it got to a point where I was taking a half bottle of vodka into work just to get rid of the withdrawal symptoms.

This has gone on for a while and it has to stop now (my job is well paid but boring so I spend much of my time on the internet/message boards)

I was given these pills two weeks ago and need to know from anyone on here who has taken them as I don't want to go into work, take the pills and sit down and just dribble and get sacked.

If anyone can give me advice on prescribedclomethiazole edisylate please let me know.

I've had a bad six months and if I carry on like this I'll probably be dead in 30 30 years and for a top bloke like me that is not a way for me to go out.

Btw Yes I have had a drink tonight. Half bottle of wine and four beers.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Richie English
Btw Yes I have had a drink tonight. Half bottle of wine and four beers.

First of all,....answer this question.......Why, given all you just told us,....would you have that wine and four beers???????
Old 06-02-2006, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you have the cure for those withdrawal symptoms right there,......and you would rather drink wine and beer??
Old 06-02-2006, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Clomethiazole
acts on receptors in the brain known as GABA receptors, which cause the release of a chemical called GABA (gamma amino butyric acid). GABA is a major inhibitory chemical in the brain involved in causing sleepiness and controlling anxiety and fits. Clomethiazole acts by increasing the activity of GABA, thereby reducing the functioning of certain areas of the brain. This results in sleepiness, a decrease in anxiety and relaxation of muscles. Clomethiazole is used for the management of aggitation, restlessness and short term insonmia in the elderly. Clomethiazole also inhibits a chemical called alcohol dehydrogenase that is responsible for breaking down alcohol in the body. This slows the rate of elimination of alcohol from the body, which helps to relieve the sudden effects of alcohol withdrawal in alcoholics. It should only be used in the treatment of alcohol withdrawal under a doctor's supervision.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello Richie--Welcome to SR. Glad you found us!

The only way to quit drinking is to stop picking up the drinks! It sounds simple, and actually is simple, but it is NOT easy. Have you thought about trying to find some outside support? I go to AA and have found it to be an absolute necessity in maintaining my sobriety. There are many other options as well.

As far as the medication goes, it looks like earlybird found you some good info. Perhaps the weekend is the time to try out the meds..... ONLY if you are going to stop drinking. Then you can see how it affects you when you don't have to be at work.

Hope you will stick around! SR is a really great place.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Richie,

I'm glad you found us! You can stop drinking and there's lots of support and information here at SR.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Richard

Originally Posted by earlybird
First of all,....answer this question.......Why, given all you just told us,....would you have that wine and four beers???????
That is a question that is very hard for me to answer I'm afraid earlybird. Yes I love alcohol and the feeling of being 'intoxicated' but this has to stop now. All the things I've enjoyed in my life have revoled around drinking and I cannot imagine enjoying life or feeling confortable without it.

I used to but that was a long time ago I'm afraid.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Richard

Originally Posted by 51anna
Hi Richie,

I'm glad you found us! You can stop drinking and there's lots of support and information here at SR.
Thanks Anna. I just need to do this before I go into self destuct mode. The funny thing is the drink makes you feel depressed and tearfull sometimes.

I'm a bit of a lad but enough is enough.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Richard

Thankyou for all of your advice people and I will try to keep you updated.
I'm only 31 and for the first time in my life I feel very low (and yes alcohol is the main problem)

Maybe what they say is true that you have to hit rock bottom to come back up.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Good Luck richi.. let your light shine...
Old 06-02-2006, 04:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Richard

Originally Posted by earlybird

Clomethiazole
acts on receptors in the brain known as GABA receptors, which cause the release of a chemical called GABA (gamma amino butyric acid). GABA is a major inhibitory chemical in the brain involved in causing sleepiness and controlling anxiety and fits. Clomethiazole acts by increasing the activity of GABA, thereby reducing the functioning of certain areas of the brain. This results in sleepiness, a decrease in anxiety and relaxation of muscles. Clomethiazole is used for the management of aggitation, restlessness and short term insonmia in the elderly. Clomethiazole also inhibits a chemical called alcohol dehydrogenase that is responsible for breaking down alcohol in the body. This slows the rate of elimination of alcohol from the body, which helps to relieve the sudden effects of alcohol withdrawal in alcoholics. It should only be used in the treatment of alcohol withdrawal under a doctor's supervision.
I know this early bird and thanks for pulling up the link. maybe it's my boring job, my social life that are the symptoms. I just want to stop drinking like a maniac, get though the withdrawal symtoms and try to find someting else to take my mind off having a drink but that seems impossible to me.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Richie, drinking is the symptom.

The other things - job, social life or whatever it might be - those are the problems. That's why, when you stop drinking, you need to start working on yourself. Many of us use alcohol to numb our feelings and when we stop drinking we become aware of emotions that we didn't even know were there. We realize there are changes we need to make in our lives - some big, some small.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Richard

Originally Posted by 51anna
Richie, drinking is the symptom.

The other things - job, social life or whatever it might be - those are the problems. That's why, when you stop drinking, you need to start working on yourself. Many of us use alcohol to numb our feelings and when we stop drinking we become aware of emotions that we didn't even know were there. We realize there are changes we need to make in our lives - some big, some small.
I know Anna but it's ever so hard mate. Uphill stuggle but I'm going to go for it.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So true!!! Too often addicts think that by simply quitting the booze or drugs is going to mean problem solved. What they dont seem to 'get' is that the REASON they drank or drugged is BECAUSE of their lives. Their LIFESTYLE. SOMETHING was amiss. Something was out of whack. Stress. Fear. Inadequacy. Depression (HUGE REASON), ....whatever the reason,...alcohol abuse or drugging is the OUTCOME of that. Once we get that in remission, we MUST work on what caused it or we are doomed to repeat it. If you dont believe me,...just ask ANY of the people you have relapsed.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome! It's great to see you looking for answers.

My long term depression lifted by the time I was sober for a few months. No meds needed and it has not returned.
That is why I joined AA and that is why I stay connected.

I do hope this will be true for you too..
Sobriety is so worth it!