Notices

12 step question

Old 06-01-2006, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
fire dancer

12 step question

i'm interested in others' thoughts about working the 12 steps in order.......is it best, can it work as well if you pick where you feel you are at, i mean you still have to WORK the step you're on, & certainly you have to do step one to even really start, but...........has anyone out there succesfully worked the steps not in order?........any thoughts are welcome,
Old 06-01-2006, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

It is my experience that hte steps are in the order they are in for a very important reason......

In the first we get honest and build some humility, in the 2nd we get open minded and get some hope, in the third we become willing and develop some trust and some faith....steps 4 and 5 are where we put the first 3 into action....it's impossible to work a thorough 4th step with out a firm foundation in the first 3.......just like working a 9th step before you are spiritually read, could cause alot more harm than good....

short answer....start at 1 work through 12...in order...it's proven to work that way.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My question is...Why NOT work them as suggested?
Old 06-01-2006, 04:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup - the steps are in order for a reason. If we fall, we obviously missed something along the way, so it's best to start from Step One again. I will also add that the steps are meant to be worked with another person (sponsor) who can guide us on the journey. That's what I have learned from sticking with the winners anyway.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2006, 05:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They wouldnt give them numerical order if it werent important...they'd just call'em "A Bunch of Steps".... Cant do step 9 without doing step 8 first. Cannot do steps two or three without one first. Cant do 12 if you havent done 1 thru 11. Cannot do 5 before step 4. Cant do 7 before you do 6. Does this answer your question? What step do you feel you are ready to do thats not in order??
Old 06-02-2006, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Thanks for the question, wolflet. This sort of thing keeps our minds working, and if the program can't stand up to close scrutiny, there's not much to it, is there?

I found I had to work the steps in order, even though I'd been in Al-Anon and ACOA for about 2 1/2 years when I came to AA. Alcoholism was unexplored country. Just because I've driven all over North America (and I have) doesn't mean I can drive across Europe.

I found some of the steps to be quick and fairly easy, step 2 for example. My God could and can do anything. But I still had to do it in order, and fully "come to beleive." It didn't take long, but without that foundation Step 3 wouldn't have been as meaningful.

The Steps were put in order and in full so they could be of the most use to the most people. If you can skip around, more power to you. It's said that there are as many different ways to work the program as there are people in it. But, my friend, if you hit a snag, go back to Step One and do them in order and in full. Don't be smarter than the program. People die from that.

I've been sober over 17 years. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.