Notices

What Are You Doing To Stay Sober This Memorial Weekend?

Old 05-26-2006, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up What Are You Doing To Stay Sober This Memorial Weekend?

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

We have many here in SR that are "newcomers" as well as "old-timers" that are facing this Memorial Holiday Weekend with thoughts of either drinking or using or just trying to stay sober the best way they know how.

What are you doing this weekend to stay on the path of recovery clean and sober?

Many just need suggestions or ideas of how to still have fun either BBQing, running, going to the beach or hanging out with family or friends without drinking or using.

For me, I recall all the holidays gave me a good reason to drink. It was PARTY TIME BIG TIME...... Load up on chips, good food and most of all my favorite kinds of Alcohol. Load up so i wont run out.

So i would start out with the anticipation. Anxiety setting in. Adrineline flowing. Even tho i drank everyday, i still looked forward to having a ball on those special holidays. Let the good times roll. Yeeha..!

Well that was then and here i am now 15 yrs later sober by the Grace of my Higher Power and u people in these rooms or sites. For that and u I am truely grateful.

I came into AA yrs ago beat down from alcohol. My friend. My friend wasnt my friend anymore. It turned on me very rapid. Esp. towards the latter part of my drinking career.

A horrible accident about a mile away from my family at 2 in the morning. I still dont know what happened to cause me to run off the road and hit a concrete culvert sitting on top the ground. Did I black out? I do know by the police and hospital reports, i did have a blood alcohol count that was well over the legel limit.

I spent 10 day in the hospital with them removing my spleen or else i would have bled to death. Then after 3 months of healing nicely, i was right back out there on the road drinking. Because of the short amount of time i didnt drink till then, the monster in me came out roaring. Big time too. That was when i hit bottom and tried to end my life.

Family intervention saved my life and the Grace of my HP.

Today, i have the tools that were so graciously and freely given to me from day one. I had the desire to stay sober more than anything. I wanted what u people had and would try to go to any lengths to get it.

Going to meetings, getting a temporary sponsor, doing service work by baking for my meetings, suiting up and showing up when i really didnt want to.

The suggestions share with me guided me to stay sober one day at a time.
Just like many of u here in SR.

This weekend im HOME ALONE. Hmmmm sounds like a good movie to watch. : ) My family is heading up to Dallas for a family wedding. Me, i chose to stay home and hold the fort down and care for my wonderful pets.

I know, im home safe and sound away from things i know would irritate me or make me anxious. If i were to allow myself to get too uncomfortable, then i know exactly where i need to go. An AA MEETING. Better safe than sorry. RIGHT?

Anyway.....Thanks for letting me share. Help others to stay clean and sober by sharing ur own ESH with them in order to stay clean and sober urselves.

And thats the way it works.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We have an AA picnic on Saturday here in St. Louis. I might go to that. They are going to have a kickball game for adults, of all things. I'll probably hit 2-4 meetings over the next few days too.

Otherwise, it's just a three-day weekend for me. I never needed the excuse of a holiday to drink so I don't really feel any extra pressure just because it's a holiday. I wasn't much of a daytime drinker anyway.

For me, I'd put my sobriety much more at risk by going to Hooters for wings and the scenery rather than a Memorial Day picnic.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aasharon90
What are you doing this weekend to stay on the path of recovery clean and sober?
At the moment I'm squishing ticks, scratching poison ivy, and nursing the stinging nettle incurred in today's weeding venture. The weekend looks to be 3 days more of the same. Supposed to be sunny and HOT. In on gardening breaks I'll be here reading and writing as the primary grand distraction; I welcome PM's and will respond in kind. Trying to stay on the positive side of thinking...
Old 05-26-2006, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am avoiding the "traditional" drinking situations and am trying new activities.

Kayte
Old 05-26-2006, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My weekend will be as usual...serene and sober.

The exception is that 4 of us will attend
Memorial Day services.
My son and his oldest son are disabled Army vets.
The younger son will leave next week for the Army

Please take a moment this weekend to remember

“Some Gave All...All Gave Some”
Old 05-26-2006, 07:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Yep, I'm going to spend it like any other weekend. I'm not going to drink.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am going to spend the weekend with my younger brother and sister. They just got out of school and it has been a while since we've had quality time together. It will be nice.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In Canada, the last weekend was our May long weekend, but this weekend I am playing softball, working out and helping move our office to a new building... Sunday I am cooking up a turkey dinner for me and my roommates.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up A Sober Weekend

Hi, Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Good to be here sober on this Memorial Weekend.

It's very relaxing here at home with the family gone. I know this wont last for very much longer as they are due back either tomorrow or Monday. But for now and today Im selfishly enjoying my quality time alone with my pets.

Since im not drinking today, i have a much clearer mind and a sense of purpose of what im suppose to be doing during this time in my life. Before when drinking all i could think about was when and where i was going to get my next drink. Having those crazy roller coaster rides of emotions. Expectation, anticipations, rationalizations, driving myself insane till i took a drink to numb the thoughts and emotional pain.

Anyway....im just rambling. I hope everyone is enjoying this weekend whether it be running, spending time with family, working out, gardening, cooking, nursing aches and pains like me, in my legs due to trying to keep up with my daughter 19 running at the park. I should have know im not 20 yrs old anymore and even tho i physically work hard at my grocery store job....i still need to take it easy. : )

So, im relaxing a bit, staying out of the Houston heat and staying off my leg while reading and posting here in SR.

Have a good sober one.

...and thanks for letting me share here.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Not sure what I'm going to be doing as it would appear that I've either caught the stomach flu that has been going around or got hold of something funky last night at our birthday dinner. I know what I WON"T be doing and that is drinking!

Early in sobriety I was terrified of the 3 day weekends as I used them as excuses to drink even more than usual and usually didn't remember a whole lot about them other than the 3-5 days of detoxing afterwards. I found that for me getting active helped tremendously, staying in contact with other sober alcoholics through functions or through the phone helped a lot as well as going to meetings and sharing what was going on.

This is the first 3 day weekend that I haven't had any anxiety about which is a true blessing. I just hope I can get my tummy back to normal so I can cook and spend time with friends and family. Otherwise it's going to be a quiet weekend with my puter, a good book, coke and a bottle of pepto!

Anyone struggling with their first sober holidays, please know that you are not alone and please come out and share your thoughts and feelings so we can reach out to you and help! It helps us too! Remember, together WE stay sober!

Hugs,
Kellye