Notices

After 1 day relapse does one need to detox again?

Old 05-26-2006, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

After 1 day relapse does one need to detox again?

I am concerned.

I had been drinking for almost 5 years. Beer for a few, then whiskey the last.

Eventually getting up to around a 5th of whiskey a night, every night.

I decided to stop drinking and had withdrawal problems. Severe
anxiety, insomnia and twitching was the start of it, so I seen a
doctor. I had heard that it can get fatal and wasn't sure if I was that far gone chemically/neurologically at that point.

He put me on an "ativan taper" just to be safe. In his words "so the brain can cope with the absence of the alcohol and prevent seizure or worse".

This worked wonders for the anxiety and twitches and insomnia. I then
tapered off after 9 days total.

Anyway this is 2 months ago.

I relapsed and got full blown drunk yesterday however. No whiskey, too much beer to count, but far less than a 5th of whiskey worth.

Today I am hungover and all, no desire to drink.

I am concerned that the major withdrawal symptoms requiring drugs will
return though.

Would I need to drink for days or weeks for my body/neurology to
get used to the alcohol so much so that I would have risk of a seizure
or stroke from not drinking again?

I will get withdrawal medication instead of drinking again if I need it, but I
don't feel withdrawals.

To disclaim: I am not asking for medical advice here in any way.

Any experiences with relapses that brought on DTs or withdrawals after
only one days episode?

Other than the hangover of course. I mean seizures etc.

The only thing I could find is a guy who was sober for around 3 months, relapsed for a full week every day, then had problems again.

Am I in the clear to not develop DTs or dangerous withdrawals again from this single binge?
Old 05-26-2006, 06:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm no dr, I dunno whether you're in the danger zone for bad withdrawal or not but if things get too freaky there's always the ER...
Old 05-26-2006, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Rocketman,

As bspgirl says, monitor yourself and if anything alarming develops, go see a doctor as soon as possible. I detoxed on my own after drinking about 10 to 14 beers a day for a couple of years, but I wouldn't recommend doing what I did.

Jup.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi RM, I slipped and fell and landed hard recently and I didnt get anything but a real bad hangover... my thoughts were rather negative for a short while, but things are fine now.

If you do experience any crazy symptoms see your doc asap. Levi
Old 05-26-2006, 08:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have also found that a 1-2 day lapse does not lead to the full blown withdrawl that I have felt after drinking every day for a stretch. I think you will be just fine.

And, congrats on your sober time, focus on your good times, dont worry about the slip up, who cares, anyway, after 5 years of every night, going two months the first attempt to quit is great, keep up the good work, you are already winning!

S
Old 05-26-2006, 01:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
alcohol-kicked-my butt

as long as you dont continue drinking--my opinion, is youll be fine--and believe me, i know alcohol withdrals--lol--take care
Laura
Old 05-26-2006, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Get back on the wagon and you will be fine IMHO...that wonderful period of abstinence (well done!) will stand you in good stead.

I hope you stay sober, it is so worth it - as you know!

DCathy31
x
Old 05-26-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am nearly 8 months sober and haven't yet fully detoxed, I believe it takes nearly a year to get the stuff completely out of your system. It was about 4 months before I could get into the gym and I am still lethargic at times.

You will be fine, but do get back on the wagon, don't throw it all away due to one slip.

Love, Rose
Old 05-27-2006, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think the biggest concern would be setting up that craving and compulsion again and being on guard against that. Slips do happen unfortunately but what is important is what did you learn from it, what led up to it and what can you do to prevent it from happening again?

I also agree, I doubt that you'll have any major withdrawals after one day as long as you keep it at ONE DAY but by all means if things go bad get medical attention pronto!

Keep trying, never give up, it is SO worth it!
Kellye
Old 05-27-2006, 12:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hope this isnt what is going on here,...but, I encountered someone on a sober website once that posted a very similar post. He said that he had relapsed for three days, and wanted to know if he would go thru any of the withdrawal and wanted to know what was in store for him. We all told him that he should be ok. That the body wasnt physically addicted to booze anymore and it needed to be subjected to it longer. The mental part is always there. Anyway,...he came back on the site a month and a half later and admitted that he really HADNT relapsed, ....he was just "doing is homework". He was coming up on a long weekend camping trip and wanted to drink. He convinced himself that he could drink the three days and then stop. So he was sort of looking for the "ok" so to speak by getting the "you should be fine" answers we gave him. Trouble was, that he COULDNT stop after that three days. It put him in the hospital for a week, AND he got another DUI during which he hit two kids on their bikes. Im sure this isnt the same,...but it was just eery to read.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I would say even if this were the case that lying and saying someone shouldn't drink for withdrawal symptoms returning as a scare tactic would be wrong.

Treatment and programs get a bad reputation because of people who rather than a desire to inform people of the dangers of drinking, try to use fear mongering and impose their will and influence by doing so.

It is after all a personal choice, as a question of my own personal moral ethics my opinion is to not give people false informatio ever, even if it is for their own benefit/possible benefit, because you are then trying to control them and their behaviour.

Wether one believes in a higher power who controls their will or not, surely no one would ever think that other people should be controlling it or influencing it.

This is the first place I have ever come that people didn't try to do so, and I am greatful for it.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Originally Posted by Rocketman22777
This is the first place I have ever come that people didn't try to do so, and I am greatful for it.
Hello Rocket--Welcome to SR. This IS a wonderful place for support and encouragement. I don't think anyone here would ever lie to someone who asked an honest question. However, there are sick people everywhere!!

Congratulations on your 2 months. That is awesome. It sounds like alcholism really had you by the *****. I would agree with the other posters that you shouldn't have to detox again. I doubt if you will have any withdrawal symptoms other than the hangover you already feel.

Don't let this one day slip set you back any more. Being sober is so much better than being a drunk. I hope you will stick around!
Old 05-28-2006, 04:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

LULU, Thanks for the encouraging words that you gave RM. I needed some myself. I am struggling like you would not believe to get off the booz and stay off. I am having trouble with withdraw..I always relapse b/c I hate the symptoms. Any suggestions.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Camellion, I know you were addressing LuLu but I had to respond because I can identify with where your at. Fear of the withdrawals was what kept me from getting sober for a long, long time. I mean I experienced some of it on a daily basis, the shaking, the puking etc and it scared me to death. I got to where I was doing maintenance drinking throughout the day just to stave off those feelings. They TERRIFIED ME!!!!

When I finally decided to do this thing I basically white knucked it and kept telling myself that if I could just get through it THIS TIME I didn't ever have to go through it again. I slept and lived in a vibrating recliner so that I couldn't feel myself shake as much. I couldn't sleep so I laid in that recliner, watched tv, read and prayed. My mom did give me a couple of Xanax to take the edge off and they helped.

I never, ever want to forget that experience. When my disease tries to tell me that a drink would be ok, I call that withdrawal into my memory and remember that I don't ever want to do that again.

My suggestion is once you reach the point where you are really ready to do this and give it a try go see your doctor. Be brutally honest with him/her and see if they can offer you something to get you through the first 3 days or so which are the worst. Better yet, if you can do a medically supervised detox where they are used to dealing with the symptoms do that. But if not, make sure you have people with you at all times who know what you're doing and who can step in and get medical intervention if the need arises.

Sweetie, it is not fun and it is not easy but it is so worth it. Once I got through that and my head started clearing I felt so much better and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Big big hugs,
Kellye
Old 05-28-2006, 06:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kellye D
Camellion, I know you were addressing LuLu but I had to respond because I can identify with where your at. Fear of the withdrawals was what kept me from getting sober for a long, long time. I mean I experienced some of it on a daily basis, the shaking, the puking etc and it scared me to death. I got to where I was doing maintenance drinking throughout the day just to stave off those feelings. They TERRIFIED ME!!!!

When I finally decided to do this thing I basically white knucked it and kept telling myself that if I could just get through it THIS TIME I didn't ever have to go through it again. I slept and lived in a vibrating recliner so that I couldn't feel myself shake as much. I couldn't sleep so I laid in that recliner, watched tv, read and prayed. My mom did give me a couple of Xanax to take the edge off and they helped.

I never, ever want to forget that experience. When my disease tries to tell me that a drink would be ok, I call that withdrawal into my memory and remember that I don't ever want to do that again.

My suggestion is once you reach the point where you are really ready to do this and give it a try go see your doctor. Be brutally honest with him/her and see if they can offer you something to get you through the first 3 days or so which are the worst. Better yet, if you can do a medically supervised detox where they are used to dealing with the symptoms do that. But if not, make sure you have people with you at all times who know what you're doing and who can step in and get medical intervention if the need arises.

Sweetie, it is not fun and it is not easy but it is so worth it. Once I got through that and my head started clearing I felt so much better and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Big big hugs,
Kellye

I didnt mean we should lie to keep people from drinking. I was saying that,...like the guy from my story, we couldnt limit our drinking while we were in active addiction, so what would make us think that now we would be able to only drink that 'three days' and then be done with it? My point was that more than likely, it will always end up being continous, like it always was. Im an alcoholic. I could NEVER just drink for two or three days, then quit,...or two or three drinks, then quit. It was crystal clear that I couldnt guarantee my actions or my drinking when I picked up.