Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Glad Im sober,....but wish I had someone to share it with .....

Notices

Glad Im sober,....but wish I had someone to share it with .....

Old 05-24-2006, 01:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well,......I dont use a basket at the grocery store,....usually my hands are too full to carry anything else, so Ive been carrying the pack of hotdogs in my teeth,......maybe thats where it went ugly.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:33 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by earlybird
Well,......I dont use a basket at the grocery store,....usually my hands are too full to carry anything else, so Ive been carrying the pack of hotdogs in my teeth,......maybe thats where it went ugly.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I’m in nearly the same boat. I’m at the tail end of a 22 year marriage that’s falling apart. It doesn’t look good for saving it and frankly, I’m lonely even while still being married. My wife won’t do anything with me and hasn’t really for a number of years, but I guess I didn’t mind as much while I was drinking. Now I’m sober and I am very lonely.

I’m also a bit apprehensive about meeting women. I haven’t dated in over 20 years. I don’t even want to date, really. I just want someone to watch DVDs with, go to meetings with, take walks with, etc. Yeah, I’d like to meet a woman in the program. That would be my ideal, an alcoholic, ha ha. Sounds so crazy, but I think that would work out better.

I wish there was an online dating service for recovering addicts. That’s what I need.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Google and you can find on line dating for those in recovery.
I used it several years ago
It was a very large free site with various sections
one was for Recovery Members

Dang...I can't remember the site tho!

***** also had a singles section then.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by markofevil
That would be my ideal, an alcoholic, ha ha. Sounds so crazy, but I think that would work out better.

I wish there was an online dating service for recovering addicts. That’s what I need.

www.sobersoulmates.com <---that IS a dating service site for recovering addicts!!

I know exactly what you mean!! It sounds kinda nutty, but, when you really think about it, it makes perfect sense. I would like to be with a recovering alcoholic woman. (a real hot one...hee hee) Mostly because I wouldnt have to explain my whole past to someone. I wouldnt be worried that they are constantly wondering if I could relapse at any second. They would understand because they went thru similar things.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Reading through this quite interesting (and personally quite timely) thread I'm seeing a recurring theme in myself and others, that maybe we don't know what it is we're looking for, and those distorted illusions get in the way of clear-sightedness. I wonder if perhaps what we're REALLY looking for isn't a hot date or an attractive mate or a committed spouse, but rather, a genuine friend. Someone who listens, cares, understands, and accepts us unconditionally, as we are. Not some illusion of who they want us to be, but who we really are. That is the sort of relationship that is beautiful, wonderful, satisfying, fulfilling. THAT is love. And that is enduring.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:08 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aloneagainor
Reading through this quite interesting (and personally quite timely) thread I'm seeing a recurring theme in myself and others, that maybe we don't know what it is we're looking for, and those distorted illusions get in the way of clear-sightedness. I wonder if perhaps what we're REALLY looking for isn't a hot date or an attractive mate or a committed spouse, but rather, a genuine friend. Someone who listens, cares, understands, and accepts us unconditionally, as we are. Not some illusion of who they want us to be, but who we really are. That is the sort of relationship that is beautiful, wonderful, satisfying, fulfilling. THAT is love. And that is enduring.
I think that you are onto something here man.

Levi
Old 05-25-2006, 09:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ditto...
Divorced female, sober for a few 24 hours now, ready to get to know someone...who's sober, who wants to be friends first.
Had one "recovery relationship" with a guy with a couple of years in the program who was on the rebound, which didn't work out...
Maybe I'll check out that link...
Thanks
Old 05-26-2006, 02:21 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

I think the key is that one boraodens one's horizons, say through online or whatever....the thing is you might end up with one of *their* friends or circle...friend of friend is always best!

Wost case scenario (ok not TOTALLY worst, lol! ) is that you make a new friend!

Good luck and let us know!

Cathy31]x
Old 05-26-2006, 07:15 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leviathon
I think that you are onto something here man.
Levi
Yes, having experienced both beautiful and awful relationships, and having invested both the strongest and the weakest aspects of myself in relationships, I've learned what works and what does not. HONESTY and OPENNESS are at the core of what works. Very much in line with addiction and recovery. Neither a relationship nor sobriety can or will work without those fundamentals in place, I am CONVINCED.
(I am woman, but the point remains.)