Notices

here is my story

Old 05-18-2006, 08:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

here is my story

it is actually harder than I thought to sit down and tell my story. here is the quick and dirty version.

my dad was a weekend drinker. why? because he saw his father drink away the working man blues of laying concrete and bricks all day. he learned real quick that alcohol was a way to avoid your problems and forget about the boredom of daily life.

fast forward to me. i too became a weekend drinker and of course it got worse and turned into a weekend plus a couple of days a week to cope. unfortunately, alcohol is an acceptable way to bond with other men and in some aspects a rite of passage. i started drinking at the age of 15 or so, then spent four years in the military and my drinking continued and got worse. i ignored it, because it was everywhere and i didn't want to be the only one not doing it. i didn't have the courage or confidence in myself to say no.

well here i am 20 years later and trying very hard to stay off of alcohol. in the last few years my doctor told me my liver enzymes were getting high so i stopped for a while, but started again. i decided on the 23rd of april, that i would take my life back. i have been sober for 26 days and feel great and happy. i have read under the influence and many other books that are helping me. this forum has been an awesome source of inspiration and information. thank god for all of you and i will pray for all of us in this quest to regain our lives.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you... Welcome!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Glad you're seeking to learn a better way to live. You have lots of support here!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rho
JstBcuz

Welcome and hey keep coming back! It is great here in SR it truly is:-)
Old 05-19-2006, 12:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your decision to take care of yourself and stop drinking.

You'll find lots of support and information here at SR.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Hey Clashman! Congrats on your 27 days now!! Welcome to SR - stick around and keep posting!!
Old 05-20-2006, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hey well done clash man...thats inspiring...im gonna guve up soon..i hope..im new here too so see you around
Old 05-20-2006, 05:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

hey clashman welcome to SR these forums helped me the day I decided to quit and are still helping me today.

Kevin
Old 05-20-2006, 09:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Welcome, Clashman. Welcome to SR. Welcome to your new way of life.

Have you contacted AA? Do you intend to? You'll find a lot of people, men and women, young and old, with various lengths of sobriety, who are trying, one day at a time, to do the same as you - quit drinking. Pick up a Big Book while you're at it. Read it.

From page 164:

Abandon yourself to God as you understand God. Admit your faults to Him and to your fellows. Clear away the wreckage of your past. Give freely of what you find and join us. We shall be with you in the Fellowship of the Spirit, and you will surely meet some of us as you trudge the Road of Happy Destiny.

May God bless you and keep you - until then. (Endquote)

I've been sober over 17 years. Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you all very much for your kind words. another beautiful morning without a hang over. i sure am much more productive and happy.

thanks again!!
Old 05-20-2006, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Congratulations and welcome. SR has been a very important part of my recovery. I keep coming back because there are wonderful people here that I can relate to. I'm glad you found us.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The New Improved Hangover Free Clashman!!! way ta go pard'na {texas} y'al m'on back now, hea'h .... feeble atempt at a Texan's Drawl...anyhoot, a warm welcome from the armpit of the East ......... CT. ................ Z