Notices

New Start

Old 05-18-2006, 09:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New Start

Hello everyone
found this site recently and am hoping that it will help. I can identify, like so of you, with most of the stories posted.

I am 41 and have had an alcohol problem for at least 15 years, before that I was still a fairly heavy 'social drinker'. I have lost relationships and caused a great deal of pain in this time, lost my self respect many times and have promised myself - and others - that I will give up thousands of times. My health is affected, sore throat, back, weight gain etc etc - and my reputation is that I always get drunk (nice girl!). I also have a very bad spending addiction which has meant that I have got myself into ALOT of debt. I also have a tendancy to comfort eat. Oh dear, moan moan!!

I know that I am an alcoholic, yet I still find myself wishing that I could just drink 'normally' , why? because I like it (well before I get to the drunk and slurring / horrible / pathetic stage that is). But the truth is that I can't, I don't usually drink every day and I don't drink in the mornings but I binge drink many times a week - its getting to be every other day. I can get through alot, up to 2 bottles of wine and 2 pints of strong lager recently has been the worse. I can see that the problem has got worse over the years and will continue to do so. I know that alcohol is ruining my life. I MUST stop.

I have a terrible self esteem problem, compounded by poor relationships with
men who took pleasure in mental and physical cruelty and a situation at work (bullying) which went on for about four years. Drink was always around in my family (I believe a few close family members have problems to some extent). My parents are very risk adverse and rather negative in some ways and although they are lovely people really, they would walk across hot coals for me, I always felt second to my brother and I was never encouraged to acheive (that I can recall). My upbringing has added to my fear of failure and relutance to try new things. I don't even drive because I hated it when I tried to learn - I'm scared of it, although I really would like to be able to and am ashamed that I don't. I have given up on many things, more often over the years, yet wierdly if I am put in a position where I HAVE to do something I usually, not always, do it well.

Re my job, I started there from school (at 16) and I worked my way up to a good position and I did some really good things, many people have a great opinion of me but still this one person (my manager at the time) managed to drag me right down. The problems at work have led me to be in a position of having no job after a large scale restructure, although this is partly due to me as I was offered a job which I didn't want, so I didn't take it. One of my moments of 'I am better than this and I will get another job somewhere else!' Due to financial problems in the organisation I have not been allowed to leave with my redundancy yet, but I took the descision to go off long term sick as the stress of being treated badly every day and being 'left to wither on the vine' was unmanageable. I think that this was the right move for me, I haven't drunk anymore having this free time available but I am aware of a faint desire to do so and a feeling that I could just start doing so at some point. My shopping addiction is getting out of hand though again - online shopping.

I am quite self aware, I see what has contributed to my issues. My self esteem problems are all around 'being perfect', for who I don't know, me? Alot of my debt problems have arose from buying clothes (often in a smaller size - to 'diet into') and things to try to make me 'beautiful' or to maintain a 'nice lifestyle', or 'treat others'. I recognise that the people who took pleasure in hurting me had their own issues and I should not have allowed myself to be a victim. In respect of the work situation 4 other people felt the same way and left. Even when I was slim and fit etc I still wasn't happy with myself, I was never 'good enough'! Its internal stuff I need to work on. But what do I do, I keep spending (even though others have paid stuff off for me many times), I keep drinking, and drinking.

I have a wonderful partner of 6 years, he hates me drinking and I will lose him if I carry on, even though he loves me so very much - how lucky am I?!! He says I am the most loving, caring and wonderful person he has ever met - when I am sober. He also says that he knows that he will always come second to a bottle of wine. I am ashamed that I treat him this way, I love and adore him. He is also under the threat of redundancy so its a difficult time at the moment.

I sound like a right bundle of fun don't I!!!!

On a positive note - at last!!!! I know deep down, on a good day, that I am attractive, I can get my figure back. I am bright, I can get another job and work my way back up the ladder - with encouragement I will go far. I can also pay of a big chunk of debt with my redundancy. I fell into the work I did and it was never something I really wanted to do. I now have an opportunity to try to work out what I would really like to do and re-train (oh no, another fear, that I won't be intelligent enough!). I'm funny, caring and loving - these I can agree with even on a bad day. But drink destroys all of the good things, makes me a liar, a thief and generally a horrible piece of work.

Useful to add that I have read many books, tried AA and counselling (and am currently having cognitive behaviour therapy for my self esteem issues). None of these helped me. I guess its down to me, and I am hoping that this community can assist.

Sorry to ramble on so - done me good to get this down in writing though. First day sober (Day 1 again!). Thoughts keep creeping in about having a glass of wine now - but I WONT. Scared about not being able to have a drink ever again, and scared that I will! I know I need to take it one day at a time. That's hard for someone who has a tendancy for wanting it now, all or nothing.

Thanks for listening - sending white light to everyone.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well it sounds to me like you have every reason to quit and none to keep going. See,...the problem is that wishing you could drink like others and WANTING to drink like others are two very different things. I wish I could have drank like others. "Normal" is drinking at get togethers or weddings, or a toast, or holidays. It certainly isnt drinking the way I WANTED to drink. I didnt want to wait until Christmas or until someone I knew got married, or someone had a baby. Because even if I did,...id drink so inappropriately that Id ruin those events anyways. I never wanted to drink like normal people,...but I really wished I could.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome!.....

It's great to see a new memner reaching out.
I do hope you can find peace in your life. Hugs
Old 05-18-2006, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Kickit, Welcome to SR!

After reading your post, it seems you have a lot of good (and important) things going for you. When you get to reading through here, you will find you are not alone in your addiction, behavior, fears, regrets, etc. We have all been there. Sure, lots of us drink or did drink because we like it. And many of us wish we could be "normal drinkers", but it seems for some reason, we are not. No one knows why, exactly, they try to explain it with science, environment, etc. But no matter, the facts are there, we have crossed the line, and there is not much going back. Alcoholism is a PROGRESSIVE DISEASE, you will most likely continue to need more & more as time goes on, to get the same feeling. And this will lead to damage to the mind, body, and usually reputation. Yes, I too am known as the one who can usually be counted on to tie one on whereever there is alcohol. But, like most here, I am trying to change that.

I'm glad you found us, this is a place where you can ask any question, speak your mind, and interact with people who understand where you are in the cycle and what you are going through.

I'm not cured yet, but since coming to SR, I drink a lot less, and understand my disease a lot more, and my life a lot more. I hope you stick around!

Steve
Old 05-18-2006, 12:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Sometimes, when we try things and they don't work, it's because we believe, on some level, that they won't work. I, too, tried books, religion, medicine, psychiatry - and AA, and nothing worked. When I was ready, truly ready for change, I tried again. My fourth experience with AA stuck, and I haven't found it necessary to take a drink for awhile now. Amazingly (to me), at some point, I no longer went to meetings to stay away from a drink, but in order to carry the message to those like you who are searching for a way out. Oh, staying away from the drink is a priority -- everything falls apart if I don't, but today, a drink is not desireable to me. I mentally recoil from the though of drinking. I had to really give it all I had, though. It's hard work.

I also could relate to your family and work experiences. I don't feel that way anymore about my family and my peers, and you know, I don't think it had anything at all to do with them changing. I changed, and with it, my perspective changed. I'm free from all that resentment and expectations of them that I so carefully tended all those years.

I wish you well. Keep posting.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 05-18-2006, 12:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Hi Kickit, and another welcome to SR! To make this short (since the others had such great stuff to say), since you're taking time off, do you think it would be helpful to go into treatment? Do you have insurance at work? This is just a thought. I did it and it changed my life. I learned a LOT, I was in a supportive, non-drinking environment with people that really cared and wanted me to get better and have tools to use down the road (which I do). I've honestly never looked back - (and I drank more than you did, but I did it every night...), and I'm going on 6 months sober! You can do it, too!! If treatment isn't an option, there are other alternatives around on these boards. Take a look and stick around!

So much for keeping it short (sorry!)
Hugs,
DG
Old 05-18-2006, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ASH

HI Kickit, Welcome to SR and good for you, DAY 1 can be the begining!
Hope to see more of you here
Old 05-18-2006, 08:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hello! I'm glad that you are here asking questions and seeking answers! We are here and we do understand what you are going through. Stick around!
Old 05-19-2006, 03:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi everyone
thanks for your support, it really cheered me this morning when I logged on. It is a great comfort not to be alone and feel like 'you are the only one going crazy - why me?????'!!

Day 1 done! Never gone longer than a week in about 10 years, before that a month or so in the previous 5, so I know there is a long road to travel and I am trying to take 1 day at a time rather than worry about not drinking. Have a day out today and a few days away planned next week and have taken steps to try to ensure that drink will not figure in either. I do feel more determined though, having to be 'truly ready for change' rings true. I am truly sick and tired of beating myself up with the bottle.

I may give AA another try and treatment will be an option if I fall down flat again, no insurance but my partner would be prepared to pay, even though we both face redundancy he thinks I come first, bless him. Early days.

Thanks again for messages long and short. I'll be back - hopefully to try and help others too, if only by sharing experiences at the moment.

P.S. Does anyone have any experience with a shopping / spending addiction?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, my Ex Wife.

Sorry, just came out

S
Old 05-19-2006, 04:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Steve58, don't be sorry I know that it must have been very hard for you. Its not a great addiction to have, stupid comment, is any? Trust me to have more than one at a time - although I've read that it is pretty common.

I'm looking for some help with it, but maybe I need to get sober 1st and while I'm working on this, and all the emotions connected, maybe I'll help myself with other things.

I read on the site to eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg, I've found some fresh juice recipes which are also good for the liver, would it be useful to share these, and if so where??? (just made one with lemon, lime, oranges and pink grapefruit, yummee!!)
Old 05-19-2006, 09:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

One step at a time, kickit. Get sober first, and then tackle the shopping problem. Your partner is wonderful if they'll pay for treatment. It's not cheap (but neither is drinking!), and most facilities have payment plans.

Congrats on day one!! Drink TONS of water/green tea. Both are good for you all the time, but especially now! I don't have any good recipes for juice drinks, but there are plenty on the internet - just make sure it's from a reliable source. Great job!!
Old 05-19-2006, 09:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One addiction at a time

Let me add my "definitely" to that! I always tried to go sober and diet at the same time, and it felt so much like I didn't have anything fun left in my life that I couldn't stick with it. Let the drinking be your priority "fix it" right now - if spending a little helps you get through that then let it. (I shopping binged a bit myself, mostly on-line shopping when I was drunk! Oh, that eBay!). I'm sober 11 days now, and it's such a relief to still be able to have pizza and those comfort foods - the only difference is not having the booze to go with them. (I'm also becoming a connoiseur of "other drinks" - Dr. Brown's black cherry soda, fancy teas, loving that variety after vodka for so many years!). You can deal with the shopping later - just a guess, but I think after the sober-up process has started and the drinking lets up, you'll find that you'll have more control over the shopping and everything else, too. We get ourselves into these conditions by a kind of bad feedback loop, but amazingly once you have the guts to turn it around you start getting into a good feedback loop! Hoping it works that way for you. Best sincere wishes, and welcome to SR!

Wishful
Old 05-19-2006, 10:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Kickit,

How ya doin today? Believe it or not it does get easier. Someone had a great idea, maybe we need a receipe forum? Any support here for that?

On the green tea, I love it, Use Honey in it, 1-2 tea spoon. It is good if you are dieting (or withdrawing) because honey raises your blood sugar, but not in a harmful way. Something about Honey, not the same bad effect as refined sugers found in soda (& everywhere else). Decaf tea is much better, both for quitting and for diet, but one thing at a time.

For various reasons, alcohol deprives your body of certain essential vitimans and minerals, so the first few days off I always feel like I want to eat everything in sight. Take lots of vitimins, and eat lots of fruit & veggies, and try to exercise. A 20 min walk is a good start, work it up from there.

Have a great weekend!

S
Old 05-19-2006, 11:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, thanks again for the support. Nearly through day 2, but finding it very hard. Wanted a drink at lunch as went into town with a mate, it was hot, people in beer gardens etc. Didn't, had tea and a scone instead then went to see a film.

We met my partner at the local on the way back and I stuck to soda and lime, but felt really resentful with my partner (guess I feel its 'his fault' I can't have a drink 'cos if he wasn't getting to the end of his thether I probably would. STUPID because I know that i have to give up for ME. But irrational thoughts are there anywhy!

Didn't stay, at home now preparing a meal. Friend gone to shop to get a few drinks for partner and him, I resisted screaming 'get me a bottle of wine'!!

Feel down though. WILL GET PAST THIS!!!

Thanks for the tips and I will let you know about the juices.

Everyone have a great (and sober) weekend
Old 05-19-2006, 12:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Kickit
We met my partner at the local on the way back and I stuck to soda and lime, but felt really resentful with my partner (guess I feel its 'his fault' I can't have a drink 'cos if he wasn't getting to the end of his thether I probably would. STUPID because I know that i have to give up for ME. But irrational thoughts are there anywhy!
I work SMART Recovery along with NA principles. One great thing about SMART is they have a way of dealing with irrational beliefs. You may want to check out that part of their website. They have some wonderful tools. http://www.smartrecovery.org/resources/toolchest.htm Choose ABC Worksheet.
Everyone have a great (and sober) weekend
You too now
Old 05-19-2006, 12:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Kickit!

Sounds like you are off to a great start.

For me, I always wondered why 12 Step programs never worked for me. Then I realized that to stay sober I needed to do more than just avoid the pain of acting out -- I needed to really want to be sober and stay sober. And that's when the 12 Steps started to work for me -- when I started working them.

Hope to hear more from you!
ChrisMan
Old 05-19-2006, 03:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the advice - which I will explore. Day 2 over, and I didn't drink! Well not alcohol anyway! Resorted to sweeties, Mars Bars and Turkish Delight - I'll never lose this extra 3 stone!! Ah well as you say, sober first.

Got an exercise bike at home, a good one, so will dust that off and start using it and take a look at all the other tips too. Had plenty of good food today as well, home made museli, fresh cod, fresh juiced fruit, yoghurt.

Worked through feeling angry, upset etc earlier (used some cognitive behaviour therapy techiques to help me). Going to bed sober, looking forward to a new morning with no hangover and have even used some of my lovely lotions and potions - of which I have many due to my shopping issues (oops!). Better than falling into bed drunk / drunkish and waking up looking 10years older and wasting another day feeling horrible.

Night all. (Or morning all, depending on where you are in the world!)
Kickit
Old 05-19-2006, 09:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Kickit,

Good to see you are making progress. Take it one day at a time (or one hour if you have to). One of the toughest things is to be around others who are drinking when you are trying to quit. Try to do something else. Maybe check out an AA meeting in your area. It really feels good to be around others who are trying to stay sober and are in the same boat we are. Just the fellowship of others in recovery might help a lot.

Keep up the great work.

Jup.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Paused

I would strongly suggest a f2f support group. The disease will work on your brain and tell you it will be okay to have a few. I know how that works. I had to learn the hard way. Beware of the progression of the disease. It will build momentum and the damage is astonishing.

Check out AA before you get into trouble. It is tough to go it alone. It is wise to gain some strong sobriety tools to stave off the cravings. They will be hovering for awhile. After I started to work the 12 steps in the Big Book, the cravings went away.

Good luck and congratulations on day two and for finding your way here. This is a great place. I've been hanging around for 2 years now. The great people here have helped me get through some difficult times. They can do the same for you.