Notices

New And Unsure

Old 05-15-2006, 12:31 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I am quitting completley!

I am gonna try it myself and if I feel I need more help than on here I will go to a meeting . I know I can do it up till thursday but the weekend will be a struggle but I am not gonna give in that easy I am gonna give it my best shot, everything everyone is saying on here makes so sense and I agree with most things people are saying. Definetley agree with the fact that I am only lying to myself by saying I dont have a problem, I do and Im gonna face it and try to get back to a sober life and enjoy it

thanks again jill
Old 05-15-2006, 12:34 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through 18 hours. Yes, I believe the itching would be withdrawl symptoms.

It's great that you're doing so well!
Old 05-15-2006, 12:43 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hi Jill,

The weekends were very difficult for me, I went to meetings, the meetings were something to do, meet sober people, make new sober friends, learn how to socialize sober, and kept me out of the bar!

I made new friends and we would go for coffee or diner, movies etc..

Its too hard to do it on your own, I can't count the times I said I am not drinking this week or weekend only to get bored/lonely whatever and end up in the bar. Thats where the meetings come in, they will help you stay sober, give yourself sometime, even just 90days, do some meetings, as many as you can, clear your head.

Its not an easy thing to do, walk into an AA meeting, but it get easier and so does staying sober, do it for yourself, give yourself a gift of 90 days of sobriety, see what happens, what you got to lose??

Love, Rose
Old 05-15-2006, 01:35 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thats great news on the 18 hours, but, I think its foolish to go it alone. Why bother with "seeing" if you can do this alone? Why wouldnt you want support of real live people???? Recovery doesnt work when you keep doing it your way. Look what your way has gotten you up til today....

Do yourself a favor. Look into AA or SmartRecovery or SOMETHING!!!

And yes,...the itching is indeed withdrawal. Just to let you know,....not to scare you, but, I think I'd be foolish not to let you know,....if you are ALREADY feeling the itchy part of withdrawal only one day into abstaining, you probably will go thru some pretty intense symptoms. They may include seizures, auditory and visual hallucinations (scary ones too), delirium tremens, severe, uncontrollable shaking,....and loss of balance. The heart beat gets dangerously rapid during all this, too. Its not uncommon for SOME people to die from this if not under a doctors care. Just letting you know what you may be up against. I went thru these things. Its hell.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:40 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

cheers mate
Old 05-15-2006, 01:43 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jill, that is not to say that you will experience any of those things.

But, it is always a good idea to talk to your dr or have you already talked to him about quitting drinking?
Old 05-15-2006, 01:46 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jillsinclair
cheers mate
I just thought you should know. I had NO idea when I went through it the first time. I WISH I had someone that warned me. I went through all that and had no idea what was happening to me. Im was just trying to give you a heads up so that if you start to feel ANY of these begin you knew what it was and had time to get some help. If you start to feel paniced, shakey, or your skin starts to tingle or your HEAD starts to tingle,....get help IMMEDIATELY!!! Once the panic starts you wont have alot of time,...you ability to even walk a flight of steps is gone. Please look into some help. Or atleast put together a quick plan of action just in case these start taking effect.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:49 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

yeah I have spoken to the doctor he told me too stop drinking, I see a physiciatrist every 4 weeks so should be seeing him again next week.

I am not a constant drinker more of a binger I have stopped before and didnt experience any of those symptoms, so hopefully I wont this time although I do suffer from bad nitemares when I stop drinking
Old 05-15-2006, 01:53 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I quit a few times,...and went through different withdrawals everytime. If you are experiencing itchiness,....then you have drank often enough to experience these other symptoms. Just remember,...saying "Ive done this before..." or "Hopefully I wont" doesnt MEAN you wont. Believe me,..you will be wishing to God that you had done something if they DO happen. Im just trying to help you. These things COULD happen. Isnt that enough for you to take precaution?
Old 05-15-2006, 02:00 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I hear what your saying and I am glad you told me I do aprieciate it thanks I l got to work all this week at nights aswell so should help keep me away from it too first day off I go to a meeting

thanks x
Old 05-15-2006, 02:05 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Just make that a promise to yourself. The ones to yourself are the hardest ones to break. When I know there is something I SHOULD do,.....I make a promise to myself to do it. I wanna beat myself into oblivion for it sometimes,...but I never break those promises. The guilt is too bad when I let myself down.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:05 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's also good to visit us here at SR Jill. There are lots of people here, me included, who have gone through what you're going through now. I know how really hard it is, but I also know that you can do it!
Old 05-15-2006, 02:30 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

thats great am gonna hang about if thats okay then?
Old 05-15-2006, 06:57 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello Jill...Good going on your sober time!

To read SR members personal stories on withdrawal...
Look at the top sticky post in Alcoholism.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:42 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

well 2nd day now I m so proud but dont feel too hot today had to force myself out of bed but wondered what you lot were saying so got up too read these posts. so thanks

I got a lot to do today so should manage day 2 thanks again
Old 05-16-2006, 03:52 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Red face Congratulations!

Keep it up and keep in touch. I'm new to this site myself but the folks here are so nice it's a major major help. I felt like my best friend had been stolen from me when I "went sober", which leads to "well, since no one cares, why not drink tonight, it's so much more fun?" right down the pit again. I didn't like myself well enough to pull out of it, kind of like being in an abusive relationship with a person. I've just gotten past one week and I'm just figuring out I didn't like myself because I was in that relationship - duh! After a while you start feeling a little bit proud - "hmm, maybe I don't need my "evil friend" tonight - I'm not so bad, after all!"
Congratulations on your effort - keep us posted, even if you just want to get online and chat to keep yourself from going out and drinking. You've got a lot of support here, and we all want you to make it to Day 3 (and well beyond)!

Wishful
Old 05-16-2006, 05:04 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Jill, that's fantastic!

These boards can be a great source of inspiration to you as you are making it through the early days of sobriety. You're doing great!
Old 05-16-2006, 02:32 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

hi guys

how you all doing, Im at the end of day 2 now and just about to head off to bed with my glass of water in hand so goodnight, not been too bad today although been havin pretty bad sweats but hey im just about onto day 3 so see you all tommorrow morning in day 3

thanks jill x
Old 05-16-2006, 02:34 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Jill, only speakingfor me, i had the itchy's also... ......hang in, you can do it........Z
Old 05-16-2006, 02:37 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

You can do it!