Notices

YETS Come True!

Old 05-09-2006, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Exclamation YETS Come True!

All of these years since I was introduced to the PROGRAM people would say I have gotten DWI's, gone to treatment, HOMELESS, no vehicle, etc. And all of those years I really truly didn't understand what the others meant about the yet (You're Eligible Too) phrase. Today I am here to let everyone know especially the new people who haven't gone to the depths that I have that those YET phrases do come true if WE don't take this seriously.

My name is Vic and I am an addict, my choice of drugs is WDYG (What Do You Got) . I have came from all sorts of drug use and alcohol use. I know today that the disease of addiction is a lot deeper than just the alcohol or the drugs. The disease lives in us and will always live in us. The only way to keep it away is to never pick up that first drink, pill, drug, needle. It doesn't care who you are, how pretty you are, whether you Hispanic white black, how rich or poor, lonely or sad...this disease will use anyone and anything to get to you.

I haven't been without a vehicle for 20 some years, that is one of the YETS that has happened to me here recently. I said I would never go that low and YET I did. I don't have any control after I pick up that first one and then after that it isn't easy to get back on track. I have never been to anything as far as in-patient treatment. I had almost two years from 2002-2004 and then I had almost a year sobriety in 2005-2006 both ended with the same amount of time going on a anniversary. I went out both times with about 1 month and two weeks before.

When people would talk about treatment I couldn't relate because I thought that I was special, different. Today I went to see my counselor and she said what are you willing to do. I said ANYTHING, anything at all. I knew she was going to say treatment, I knew it. I am scared to death to go, but I am willing to do something different today. That is one of them YETS also. Now there are more of those YETS for me and I am sure that there are more of them YETS for each of us if we choose to pick up.

When we are told sober up, get locked up or covered up those really are our choices. Jails, Institutions, or Death. She even asked me if I wanted to die, and part of me does and part of me doesn't. Today I want to live, and today I don't want to have to keep doing the again. For if I keep doing the again they too will lead to the yets. I just wanted to share that if for any reason you're thinking about going back on that road that you know where it will go, I hope that maybe someone will read this and say I DON'T WANT TO GO THERE. Take care.

Vic

Here is another phrase I will share "If you like what you're getting keep doing what you're doing! If you don't like what you're getting, keep doing what you're doing and you will keep getting what you're getting!"
Old 05-09-2006, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Vic, I hope you do whatever you need to do to get better. I know you're scared, but you've got lots of support here and you can do it. I know you can do this and you can move on.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Vic, I am very impressed with your description of the "YETS", it is a great expression of true understanding. Well said.

As for the treatment, I had to go to detox, not full blown treatment mind you, but for me it was a similar concern... I was scared of going, I was scared of admitting I needed to go, I was horrified that someone might find out, and I couldn't imagine the "dregs" that I would be locked up with for five days.

On the flip side, as a result of that initial five days, I detoxed, I learned to truly laugh again just for the sake of laughing, thanks to the many wonderful people that I met there ... you know the "dregs" that I was fearing... 90% o whom were just like me in that we all had the same problem and were from all sorts of backgrounds... not just under the bridge.

Even if someone did find out that I really did not want to find out, which did happen, it doesn't matter to me now. They can attempt to use it against me if the wish, but it won't bother me because I am a whole lot healthier now so I have nothing to be ashamed of, after all what I did was ask for help when I could not help myself. I do that for people all the time.

While I haven't perfected the sober thing completely... then again the real senior folk I've talked to say you never really do, you just take it a day at a time..., I continue to work on it everyday.

When I have slipped I no longer fall into a deep dark depression that cries out for alcohol daily. In short, it was really, despite the circumstances, one of the best things to ever happen to me.

Good luck, Levi.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Ahmen....Vic you really show alot of courage. Thanx for helping me stay clean ...
northbellle
Old 05-10-2006, 02:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Vic,

i hope you take advantage of an inpatient program, what have you got to lose? NOthing by the sounds. Please don't go into it thinking 28 days and that's it, stay as long as they say you should, stay as long as they will have you. People always tell me that i need to do things differently, for me that meant getting up and getting my white chip, getting my 1 week chip, etc, getting a sponsor, all the things i wasn't willing to do before. You can do it Vic, you've already proven that, now go out there and do what it takes!

luv
cheryl
Old 05-10-2006, 03:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hey vic, sounds like your a garbage head too... good post... and "I Dont Want To Go There Also".......... have you gone in yet? ......... "whatever we resist, persists" ....... agw & tol, Pattee
Old 05-10-2006, 03:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you can do it again vic! ............................... Faith!