Notices

Ambien

Old 05-02-2006, 12:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I don't know a thing about the drug. Sorry.

I can tell you I had a lot of false starts in recovery before it clicked.
Keep trying....Hugs
Old 05-02-2006, 02:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LF, glad your here.... a old Average white Band song.... Pick Up The Pieces... Ambien, dunno... i can get back to you later about it... have a friend in the pharma. bus ** legal }...pm me if need... or just Google it... it ought to tell you what you like to know, or not like to know! ... hit the meets, do whatever it takes... just do it, if you want to keep clean... were all on your side... agw, & tol, Pattee
Old 05-02-2006, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

I had similar experience with Lunesta, another sleeping aid. If I take it once in awhile, I'm fine. If I take it for 3 or 4 nights in a row, I have some pretty significant short term memory loss. I've also found that if I take the pill and my sleep is interrupted (dogs etc) then I have probs the next day.

Just my own experience. Good luck!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I used to be on Ambien and am now on Lunesta. I haven't had any negitive effects from either. After taking the Ambien for a few months I became a bit tolerant to it and it wasn't working as well so I switched to the Lunesta.

I have seen/heard some reports about people having some bad effects from one of those drugs, I think the Ambien. People were getting up in the middle of the night and doing things, going places, etc. I don't know the facts of it though.

Good luck in your sobriety lionfish!

~doll
Old 05-02-2006, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome,i have had no experience with this drug.Welcome back to AA.
Keep on,keeping on
Old 05-02-2006, 11:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Lionfish,

When I first stopped drinking, I thought I was going to have trouble sleeping, and for a week or so, I did. This is really a myth, but once you buy into it, it can become a self-fulfilling prophecy. You are afraid you won't get a good night's sleep, so you don't.

A short time after I stopped drinking, I began sleeping better than I ever had. Alcohol prevents REM sleep, so even though you may fall asleep (pass out) more easily, you don't get the quality of sleep you need.

Every once in a while, I have bouts of insomnia, and what works for me is to get a nice good workout. Running a few miles, or even taking a really long walk helps my body prepare for a good night's sleep.

I don't think that taking a sleep aide ruins your sobriety, but as with any phsyical problem, I like trying all the sensible, natural cures first.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i also took ambien and lunesta but now i take seroquel. its different for everyone. you have to discuss it with your doctor. seroquel works wonders for me. helps me maintain a regular sleep pattern. the only difficult thing about it is that it takes a little longer for you to get up and running in the morning.