Notices

So,what do I do now???

Old 04-26-2006, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So,what do I do now???

Ive been sober for now for 1 month 3 weeks and 4 days.
Ive written a few songs and performed them at open mic nights.The first time in the bar was a bit hard,but I was there on my own and knew that if I did drink I could'nt drive so I wouldnt have been able to get home ect ect.So I havent drunk anything but soft drink (soda) at these bars.Im proud of this, but Im so bored.I dont like going to AA meetings,they are a wonderful orgainsation but it just doesnt suit me.My question is,are there any organisations (here in Sydney Australia) that have stuff going on in the daytime and during the weekend that I can attend for 20-30 something recovering alcoholics??
Thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there fellow Aussie Welcome to SR . I live in melbourne, so i am not much help with the Sydney scene. We have quite a lot of AA based 20 -30 something things here, under the banner of Saturday Nite Live, dont know if you have it up there, but i will ask around my 20 - 30 something friends and get back to you

HUGX
lee
Old 05-04-2006, 03:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had a really great idea this morning,that I would start my own social group for recovering alcoholics of all ages.We would get to gether and go on outings during the day,on bushwalks, movies,to art galleries,and even weekends away to focus on recovery and so on.I dont know of any other social group that especially caters for recovering alcoholics.I'll do a search on google to find out though.Wish me luck!!
Old 05-04-2006, 03:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Zara,

Sounds like you are enjoying your alcohol-free life!

I have been a member of AA, and I have left to just be a non-drinker. At first, I thought I needed a support group, or a cirlce of "sober friends," but what I've discovered is that just living as a normal person is the easiest and most natural thing to do.

I joined a hiking club, and a skiing group, and have met all sorts of wonderful people. We enjoy the activities and each other's company, but do not need to bring up the subject of drinking as it relates to the activities we have in common.

For me, focusing on "recovery" felt like living in my past, whereas I quit in order to create a better future.

--Scott
Old 05-04-2006, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I lived in Sydney , I would join you Zara!

good luck!

HUGX
Lee
Old 05-04-2006, 04:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a great idea Zara.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Guys!!!
I am focusing really hard on my recovery,nearly 2 months!! Can you believe that?I have had ups and downs though.As I no longer go out at night to bars ect,my roommate has deemed me no longer fun enough so she has evicted me.She's the only one on the lease,so I have to go.But I have 2 months to do it.So we sacrifice alot when we get sober.Although I've come in to bad luck,I would'nt have not decided to become sober for anything.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Zara28,

Good to see you are doing so well. If that is the reason you are being evicted it is probably time to get out anyway. Your roomate is not going to help your recovery, that is for sure. It is painful to have to find a new place so early in recovery, but you will probably look back at it as a very good thing you were forced to find a supportive environment (or at least a new place).

Fantastic to hear about your success so far. Keep it up and let us know how your are doing.

Jup