Notices

what to do?

Old 04-19-2006, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

what to do?

Hello everybody. I am 20 years old and I go to a pretty same college. Its pretty fun here but unfortunately there is alot of down time. I usually got my work done early so I have the entire night to do whatever my little heart desires. Unfortunately I use this time always and drink. It wasnt all that bad at first since I guess I was sort of a lightweight and wake up just dandy. Recently I wake up completely tanked because I drink a massive amounts of beer. I went from a 6pack to 12 pack now Im almost up to an 18pack every night. Then get perhaps 5 hours of sleep. Im getting worried about the damage Im doing to my body. When I wake up, I feel crappy and tell myself no drinking tonight...When its time night there is nothing to do and I feel great, then I drink again. I wont say I like the taste of beer, but I just love the sensation of being bombed. I cant bring myself to stop and I dont know what to do. I don't want help from any professional groups, Id rather do it all on my own. I am here to see if anybody can give me some tips from past experiences to help me stop.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I got very tired of hangovers and the insanity of my actions while drunk. The way your body feels after an night of drinking is telling you that alcohol is hurting you. Keep posting and Welcome to Sober Recovery...
Old 04-19-2006, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi man,
Very good you found us, consider this a GREAT way to spend some of that down time of yours. Read through these threads and responses and if you're thinking you may come up with better ideas for your future than beer. Reading your less-than-enthusiastic devotion to the taste of beer itself, I have my doubts about whether it's really "what your little heart desires", and I can guarantee it's not what your young 20-year old full-of-potential brain desires. I can hear withering brain cells screaming all the way over here! They don't want to die, they want to engage...in life and learning! You're in college, surely there are more INTERESTING and fulfilling things to do than drink yourself sick...I suspect you already know this and I'm not a preacher...

But I am an addict, who sees how this goes especially in an isolated mind facing a developing addiction. I'm glad you're THINKING on this already, recognizing the warning signs of your becoming an alcoholic. It's very good you're here, considering. If you cannot stop drinking on your own, take every opportunity to reach out to others for help, without delay! You're free to be honest here. I wish you well.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jack

Time to kill?

Hi...if you're in college you must have some brains. If you do and you can see that this is progressive the time to stop is now. By drinking to kill time you'll be killing yourself soon. If you have the propensity to drink more and more you can see where there will be a point when to allay the lousy way you feel in the mornings pretty soon you'll be having a 'hair of the dog' in the AM so you can get things done.
Loving the sensation of being bombed is an indicator of possible alcoholism.
You can stop this before instead of you having a drink the drink has you. No joke.
Instead of drinking in the afternoon, evening etc. there must be something you can find to do. Volunteer to tutor, get a job after school, there must be service agencies who'd love to have you helping out in your spare time.
Those things would not only fill your hours with something productive they would look great on a resume and give you a feeling of satisfaction.
Take it from someone who's 'been there, done that and has the T shirt'.
Quit the daily drinking and substitute one of the suggestions I gave you or find some thing on your own you would enjoy doing after school.
God bless
Old 04-19-2006, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is a progressive and fatal disease.

I was not able to quit by myself, I used AA, I haven't any advice on how to do it alone , but i am glad you are seeking answers, and i pray you will get help now while you are young.

i picked up my first drinkat 21 and did not put it down til I was 57, you dont have to go that far

HUGX
Lee
Old 04-19-2006, 04:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile The Answers Are Here

Hi, Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Glad ur here with us. There's many here sharing their own experiences, strengths and hopes about alcohol, what it did to them and how recovery has saved their lives. Many here r newcomers like u trying to find answers and help for their drug and alcohol addictions. Many including myself tried countless times to stop the obsession of drinking and druging on our own and found it impossible. I know for myself when i did try for awhile the progression of my disease was pretty rapid and i became out of control with my behavior and actions. I was 30 when i had a family intervention done on me when i tried to end my misery. I drank from about 16 up until 30. As my disease grew so did my chances for living a normal life. I did crazy things when i was drunk. Things that made me feel ashamed of. I hurt the people that loved me the most. I had a bad car accident in Feb 90 which landed me in the hospital for 10 with them removing my spleen are i would have bled to death. I didnt drink during my 2 to 3 months recovery. But as soon as i stopped taking the pain pills i picked up a drink with led me to reaching my bottom. I was sick and tired of being sick and tired of living life on lifes terms. Anyway Aug 90 is when i tried to end my life and my family stepped in. They did for me what i couldnt do for myself. They sent me to rehab in the back of a police car where i stayed for 28 days. There i picked up the tools of recovery...which r the 12 steps. Each step leads u down the road to live ur life happy joyous and free. When i got sober people didnt TELL me what to do....they SUGGESTED many things that they did to stay sober themselves. I saw what these people had and i desperatly wanted it too. I had the DESIRE and the WILLINGNESS to follow the directions of AA suggested to me. 90 meetings in 90 days. Im sure u will hear something that sounds exactly like ur lifes story in there. Get u a temporary sponsor. Someone who can guide u and lead u in the right direction clean and sober. They told me in rehab that MY WILL didnt work and that i needed to rely on something BIGGER more POWERFUL than I. It can either be AA as a whole...Ur Higher Power...ur best friend, parents...anyone to rely on to help u stay sober. Then hold on tight as u begin ur journey in sobriety one day at a time. At the beginning people carried me into AA, then when i began to crawl people were still there to help me till i could walk on my own. I still rely on the strength of AA to guide me because i know no matter what happens if i ever take that first drink again, i will either become drunk, crazy or i will die. I have no idea if i will ever make it back to these rooms again sober, so i do what ever it takes to stay sober. And that is to contimue to share my own experiences, strengths and hope with u and others on what it was like when i was drinking, what happened and what it is like sober.

Thanks for letting me share. Keeping coming back. We need you. I need you
Old 04-19-2006, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Originally Posted by iamtheman
Hello everybody. I am 20 years old and I go to a pretty same college. Its pretty fun here but unfortunately there is alot of down time. I usually got my work done early so I have the entire night to do whatever my little heart desires. Unfortunately I use this time always and drink. It wasnt all that bad at first since I guess I was sort of a lightweight and wake up just dandy. Recently I wake up completely tanked because I drink a massive amounts of beer. I went from a 6pack to 12 pack now Im almost up to an 18pack every night. Then get perhaps 5 hours of sleep. Im getting worried about the damage Im doing to my body. When I wake up, I feel crappy and tell myself no drinking tonight...When its time night there is nothing to do and I feel great, then I drink again. I wont say I like the taste of beer, but I just love the sensation of being bombed. I cant bring myself to stop and I dont know what to do. I don't want help from any professional groups, Id rather do it all on my own. I am here to see if anybody can give me some tips from past experiences to help me stop.
You may be the MAN ....BUT yu need help when it come to stopping drinking, Everybody does...You also need to get to an AA meeting tio also get to the Alcoholim Anonymous Boards here as these people in recovery can HELP you. They have been through it all and they can help you to get some help as to what to do. I would suggest going to an AA Meeting, they also will help you in what youned to do. Pride is not a question right now. YOU need help. YOU also need professional help. I an not a professional BUT I am an RN with a Master's degree ans I will suggest that you DO do NOT stop drinking on your own, it is very dangerous, it is very plain swtupid and it is just not a good thing to try...their are things called DT's which you do not want to go through, they are just not something that will just plain will be very serious to your health..I would suggest seeing your Dr. and talking to HIM/HER. It is NO time to be proud , it is a time to be very serious and if you are serious about quitting, then talk to your DR. about what the best thing to do is. They can tell you. I personally would suggest rehab....you might say that you cannot because of your job, you might lose your job etc...it depends on how serious on how much you want to quit. There are always more jobs, there is NEVER another life. That would be YOURS. I haope you think ablout what ai am saying, I did quit drugs on my own, I would NOT advise anyone to do that, it is life -threatening..I know, I did it.......I would never use drugs as I would nevr want to quit them again...you might think I am just talking out my a**, I am dead serious.....I never want to quit drugs again....I thought I was going to die.........Please talk to your Dr.........Many Blessings.........Kahlia