Notices

Making a Change....

Old 04-10-2006, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Making a Change....

Hello to All!! Im new to the board. Have browsed it many times in the past but never posted-like many.

I'm 23 years old and have had a diminishing drinking problem for the past two years--better and worse at points. Once I drink my first Im done for the remainder of the day--whether it be in the evening after a workout or on the weekend.
Three months ago I decided to stop drinking and managed to do so for 20 days...I was feeling great! I work out 5-6 days a week and always watch my nutrition/diet...However...the alcohol is always the problem! My brother has voiced his concern to me as well.

I'm finally ready to quit my drinking! The past three weeks has been a very very rough patch...I have drank everyday with the exception of three--Sundays, which I was using as a recovery day.

Well, Sunday I decided to quit...It is soo awesome waking up feeling refreshed. I'm more productive at work and my workouts kick ass!!

Just wanted to say HI to everyone on the board! You all seem VERY supportive and I'm sure I'll be in need on the road ahead!

Thanks Have a GREAT day
Old 04-10-2006, 05:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Boo, and welcome to SR!

Have a read around the forums, and the " sticky posts" on Alcoholism, and AA Forums.

You might want to consult your Doctor and put him in the picture regarding your drinking. it can be dangerous to quit without some medical intervention.

Congratulations on your decision, I too, was very scared when I realised that after 1 drink, that was the end of the day/night for me, I couldnt stop.

For me , the answer was a phone call to AA, they taught me to LIVE sober and be happy

Keep posting

HUGX
Lee
Old 04-10-2006, 05:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ASH

Originally Posted by boo.b.good

Well, Sunday I decided to quit...It is soo awesome waking up feeling refreshed.
Hi Boo,
Welcome to SR, glad you decided to post.
Simple but true, it is awesome waking up refreshed instead of hungover.
Glad you have made a decision to change, me,
I resisted for years and kept drinking and it only got worse.
Keep up the workouts and keep posting, whatever whenever!
Old 04-11-2006, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Soo...so much for the "new" start....a couple friends asked me to meet them after work to have couple....I did...damnit!

One day I feel as though I have all the control in the world! It's like a started a new chapter in my life...the next I'm back-tracking.

I often question if I have a problem..and of course when I posted my "first" post I was sober....now being under the influence of 5 beers and a margarita I feel as though I dont. And I'm cravin a beer!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

mmmm thats the way it is with us Alkies Boo, my cravings left when I was about 3 months sober .

It is the FIRST drink that does it, if you dont have the FIRST drink , you cant get drunk...........one day at a time

HUGX
Lee

ps I always thought it was the 7th drink.........WRONG!
Old 04-11-2006, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome Boo...Congratulations for seeking answers to your drinking.
Alcoholism is a disease and it is progressive.

I suggest you get more factual info

My favorite book on alcoholism is
"Under The Influence"
and it has a sequel..."Beyond The Influence"

Both can be ordered from Amazon...

Glad to see a new member...we do understand and you are not alone.

Blessings...
Old 04-11-2006, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile The Road Of Recovery

Soo...so much for the "new" start....a couple friends asked me to meet them after work to have couple....I did...damnit!

Hi, Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

Glad ur here with us Boo.

Having to change things in our liVES that seem so much fun for us, then are not anymore....can be difficult in the beginning stages of recovery. It was suggested to me to change PEOPLE, PLACES AND THINGS that would remind me of alcohol and drinking if i was to stay sober. People, like our friends or so call friends i made in local clubs. In fact i bet you some are still there today. Then, places like clubs, functions that include drinking alcohol, like weddings, birthday parties, ballgames....this places in early recovery is too much of a temptation to drink. Then the things like ur favorite wine glasses, bottles of beer, coolers, etc. Gotta go..! : ) As u found out after getting a small taste of not having alcohol in ur system, u can feel good, but as u now can tell....Alcohol can kick our butts. It CUNNING, BAFFLING AND POWERFUL. When u think uve got it under control wham, it attacks u like a wild animal. A farocious tiger. When i got sober back in Aug 90 alcohol had stopped working for me. It caused me to lie, steal, manipulate, distorted my vision, twistered my thinking and more. I became angry, fearful, disgusted, and more. It caused me to get into a bad accident that led me to the hospital for 10 day with them removing my spleen are else i would have bled to death. That was in Feb 90 then in Aug 90 the progression had increased so rapidly that i tried to take my life. Thank God and the help of family intervention i was led to the doors of recovery in the back of a handlest police car for 28 days. There i recieved the tools and knowledge of recovery and how to stay sober one day at a time. Attending AA meetings, 90 in 90 days, getting a temporary sponsor till u find one u like and holding on tight while others carry you till u can crawl before u walk in sobriety. Everyone here has a purpose in recovery and that is to stay sober and help other alcoholic achieve sobriety by sharing their own experiences, strengths and hopes with one another. Ur amongst many wonderful members here in SR. Great fellowship here online and out there at the face to face meetings. Go, listen, absorb, share, help. One step at a time following the 12 steps of recovery.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi, boo--

I'm glad you've come here--it really is the best place on the internet.

So how are you today?

Jane
Old 04-12-2006, 07:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, Boo. I am also new to this. I've posted a couple of times and love the support that I get here. I see a lot of me in you. My husband is the one that first asked me to cut back... and I did.... for a while...But it always seems like after that first one, the rest just go down so easy..... I did talk to my doctor about it and he had me see a Behavioral therapist. I've only seen her once, and to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed. I'm giving her one more chance at my next appt in May. Anyway, one good thing that she did was to prescribe CAMPRAL. It is a drug that helps to reduce the cravings for alchohol. It's pricy- $60 per month just for my copay, but that's still cheaper than drinking. It took about a week to take effect, but I do think that it's working. I've also started drinking NA beer. I can still satisfy the craving for the taste without the alchohol convincing me that it's okay to have 5 or 6 more. Also, I have a beer holder that covers the label so when I'm hanging out with my friends I don't have to deal with them asking why I'm not drinking. They think it's just a regular beer. I don't think I could handle the questions just yet. At this point, only my husband (and doctor) and the anonymous people here at SR know. I have told a couple of my friends that I'm cutting back because I want to lose weight, or I'm trying to eat and drink healthier, which is the truth. I am so much more productive and I feel great when I don't drink. I am still occasionally drinking... I don't know if I'm ready to give it up cold turkey. The good news is that I don't necesarily feel like I NEED it now, and I'm usually satisfied with having a couple of sips of my husband's along with my NA stuff. I did go to a party Sat night and I had already decided that I was going to drink, but not get drunk. Well, that one didn't go so well, but I'm back on track now and doing well so far.
Keep posting... I'd love to hear how your progress is going. And GOOD LUCK!

Laura_P
Old 04-12-2006, 02:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I really appreciate all of your replies!!

You all seem like a GREAT group of people

I did drink last night....after havin my 6th beer I was ready to buy another 6 pack. Ive been helping my brother and sister in law move, so Im over there quite a bit. As I was ready to buy more beer, my brother asked me why? Why drink to the point of oblivion and wake up feeling like **** tommorow?

When I left I went straight home without the usual beer stop.

I'm proud I didnt take it over the limit and most importantly nooo hangover!

Have a GREAT Day all of you and again thank you for all the support!!!
Old 04-12-2006, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Hey boo!! Welcome to SR!! You are very fortunate to have realized you may have a problem at such a young age. Keep searching for info. Quitting drinking was the best dicision I've made in my life!!
Old 04-12-2006, 08:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations! It's a good feeling when you make a good decision. I've got another party this w/e, so another test. I'll bring my NA beer.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR!

Congratulations on your decision to stop drinking.