Notices

about bloody time...

Old 04-05-2006, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

about bloody time...

Hello all! I came across this site using a google search engine...I thought that it was about time that I sought online support for my problem.

Here's my condensed story: I'mm 25 years old, and I've been binge drinking for about 10 years. I don't necessarily drink everyday, and since I work a job where I work 12-hours shifts I don't necessarily get the urge to drink on working days. But about 3-4 days a week I'll drink 6-10+ drinks (usually beer) at one sitting, which is quite a lot for a tiny female such as myself.

I've had many false starts in getting sober....tried AA a few times and I didn't go back. This time around my drinking is finally starting to take its toll on my body, and I've been diagnosed with high blood pressure. I have an appoint with a hospital addiction recovery unit. But since this is Ontario, I have to wait until *May* to see the doctor.

In the meantime, for the sake of my health, I'm trying again to abstain, looking for some extra support/info online, and I may return to my local AA. My last drink was on Monday, and so far withdrawal symptoms include speeding heart rate, anxiety, and high blood pressure (checked it last night).

I'll probably find the answer searching through the boards here...but if anyone can let me know how long I can generally expect these physical withdrawal symptoms, that would be mucho appreciated.

*drinks glass of water* Here's to recovery!!
Old 04-05-2006, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, and WELCOME to SR

For me, the worst is usually over in 3-4 days, day one and two are always the worst, cant get enough water in me, want to eat everything in site. It does pass, and by the weekend you should be feeling GREAT! Get out & do something, or go to the gym, keeping the body moving does two things, keeps your mind off drinking, and aids the purging & healing process.

I am pretty new here myself, but have already found many friends and tons of good advice, which has helped me stay sober for several months now. I feel like I am in a better position to quit than I ever was.

Best of luck, and keep posting!

Steve
Old 04-05-2006, 10:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living and Loving.

Hiya MidgetCop and welcome!

I was feeling physical withdrawls for about 2 weeks - the worst of it getting over by the end of the first week. Following all that is irritability, mood swings, and the constant nag of my addiction that it is okay to go back to have a drink. I'm 4+ months sober now and I can still be irritable and moody but I'm a woman so I can't say that it is due to the alcoholism anymore. The constant craving/urge to drink alcohol has passed thankfully and the occasional thought that "hey it'd be nice to have a drink" are fewer and farther between and if I'm on top of my game quickly followed with a "Oh HELL NO."

Definately eat well, 3 squares a day and drink pleanty of water. Get good sleep - so important. Another thing that has really helped me is taking vitamins. Exercize certainly helps with mood, stress relief, quality sleep and in general health.

I'm glad you found us!

Suga
Old 04-05-2006, 11:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Thanks for the replies so far!

I *have* noticed that I crave food, and in particular sweets while I'm abstaining. Normally I don't have a sweet tooth, but LORD I'm hooked on pop right now!

Working out has always been normal routine for me, despite my drinking. I can imagine how much better my training would be once I finally quit drinking.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome!

We love to have new members at SR!

Do check out our Alcoholism Information section.

Take care...
Old 04-05-2006, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Check out the Alcholism forum and look for my thread Quitting: What to Expect. Should be at the top somewhere. Glad your here.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Ug. I'm feeling *really* lousy right now. My heart is racing and my chest feels tight, almost like I'm going to have a panic attack (never actually had one before). I'm seriously debating not going in to work tonight.....
Old 04-05-2006, 12:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there Midgetcop! Welcome to SR!

Have a read of theinformation at the top of the Alcohol forums .

Congratulations on your sober days!

While you are waiting for your appointment, you could go to a couple of meetings, see what you think , and get a few phone numbers, then you would have support nearby

HUGX
Lee
Old 04-05-2006, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Midgetcop.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Still learning; ever grateful

Originally Posted by midgetcop
Working out has always been normal routine for me, despite my drinking. I can imagine how much better my training would be once I finally quit drinking.

Hi there, MC! Welcome to SR. I, too, kept on working out while drinking, but when I look at pics from 'back then', I look SO much more puffy than I am now. I've been sober for 4+ months now, and I've lost almost 10 pounds!! I'm sure you'll see the results, too. I have to say, though, that sobriety has been the best gift of all. The toned body is only a bonus!

Good luck and keep posting!!

-DG
Old 04-05-2006, 01:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Called in sick for work tonight. The idea of working a 12-hour night shift was unbearable right now. This gives me a few days off to hopefully get over the worst of the physical symptoms.

SR is great so far. I've been browsing through many of threads all afternoon, and I've found a TON of helpful information and inpsiring people.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Originally Posted by daddysgirl29
Hi there, MC! Welcome to SR. I, too, kept on working out while drinking, but when I look at pics from 'back then', I look SO much more puffy than I am now. I've been sober for 4+ months now, and I've lost almost 10 pounds!! I'm sure you'll see the results, too. I have to say, though, that sobriety has been the best gift of all. The toned body is only a bonus!

Good luck and keep posting!!

-DG
Hehe. Yeah, it will be a nice 'bonus' gift from getting sober. It really would be nice to lose the last 10lbs or so, and really see my weight training shoot through the roof!