Notices

Not in Recovery

Old 04-06-2006, 08:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Paused

(((brtprob)))

First off, I'd like to welcome you to our family. We care and support one another immensely. Keep fighting the good fight. Life is so much better sober.

You mentioned that the ride with alcohol was good while it lasted and that you had memories of the good times. My memories aren't good, hadn't been for sometime. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. Given time, the chances of you losing your job and your life falling to utter pieces are pretty good. Things can get pretty ugly and will if you allow them to.

You also mention not drinking is a battle of self will and you typically lose the battle everyday. Think about it, if you could will yourself to stop, then do it. You see...if it were that easy, we all would just stop, but it isn't.

I too wasn't the type to go to AA. I had to ask myself though, what type is that? Alcoholics who can't stop drinking are the types who go to AA. I certainly qualified for that, no problem. Frankly, going to AA doesn't remind me I'm a sick person. It reminds me that I am a sober person and dealing with life sober. I am much better off then I was before I started attending AA meetings, without a doubt. Possibly you have a preconceived notion of what AA really is. I know I did. If it gets bad enough, you will go to any lengths to get sober. No matter if you match the sterotypical alcoholic or not. There comes a point when sobriety is all you want and you go after it, or not.

See how your method works. If it does, terrific, if not, there is a solution. You don't have to continue to drink and have you life fall apart.

If you are indeed truly and alcoholic, and you are having problems now with your drinking, experience tells me that if you continue to drink, it will only get worse. Ask anyone of us, we could certainly vouch for that.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:51 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Not Sure!

Originally Posted by 2dayzmuse
(((brtprob)))

First off, I'd like to welcome you to our family. We care and support one another immensely. Keep fighting the good fight. Life is so much better sober.

You mentioned that the ride with alcohol was good while it lasted and that you had memories of the good times. My memories aren't good, hadn't been for sometime. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. Given time, the chances of you losing your job and your life falling to utter pieces are pretty good. Things can get pretty ugly and will if you allow them to.

You also mention not drinking is a battle of self will and you typically lose the battle everyday. Think about it, if you could will yourself to stop, then do it. You see...if it were that easy, we all would just stop, but it isn't.

I too wasn't the type to go to AA. I had to ask myself though, what type is that? Alcoholics who can't stop drinking are the types who go to AA. I certainly qualified for that, no problem. Frankly, going to AA doesn't remind me I'm a sick person. It reminds me that I am a sober person and dealing with life sober. I am much better off then I was before I started attending AA meetings, without a doubt. Possibly you have a preconceived notion of what AA really is. I know I did. If it gets bad enough, you will go to any lengths to get sober. No matter if you match the sterotypical alcoholic or not. There comes a point when sobriety is all you want and you go after it, or not.

See how your method works. If it does, terrific, if not, there is a solution. You don't have to continue to drink and have you life fall apart.

If you are indeed truly and alcoholic, and you are having problems now with your drinking, experience tells me that if you continue to drink, it will only get worse. Ask anyone of us, we could certainly vouch for that.
Message received 2dayzmuse. I guess I should at least give it a chance. My notions are not preconceived based on word of mouth or what I've heard in passing. As I said. I did take the time to read 2 books on differing opinions regarding recovery, both with personally related cases and I've been to the AA Web site and others. But you are right, all the research in the world has no benefit unless action is taken and I thank you for pinpointing that for me. Peace.