Notices

Hello all

Old 04-03-2006, 09:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
REZ

Good luck to you! It has been my experience that reading a book about recovery, whether its the AA Big Book, The NA Basic Text, or Anyone Can Stop Drinking, is not enough. Recovery, in my experience, is all about learning to act and think differently. It is about walking the walk, not just knowing the talk.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lola1971
...it is very easy for me to deny because he is not home half of the time... I really lost it for him this weekend, and I am hurting, but I remain in denial as he is gone again, and I have Grad School and my girls to attend to. All I can do is be myself and not pick up a drink.
Hi Lola,
I read about denial today in the NA book. It's right at the beginning (I keep starting over at the beginning), so I've read it many times. Addicts are masters of denial, we require it in order to deceive ourselves, and that keeps us stuck in addictive patterns. Maybe you're doing better at this than I am, but try though I have to convince myself I don't need to use/ don't want to use/ cannot use, I have equal ability to instantly change my mind and convince myself I do need/ want/ can. Do you only drink with him, and you abstain otherwise? Just trying to identify where you're at in this...