Notices

AA Thinking

Old 03-25-2006, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile AA Thinking

Hi everyone. I'm Sharon and I'm an Alcoholic.

Does anyone feel like me? Here it is. I got sober back in Baton Rouge. The first 6 years I went to meeting after meetings and mostly listened due to fear of not being able to say the right things. Anyway...I leaned from my sponsor about baking for my service work. I soooo enjoyed doing that for many of the meetings i went to. That in itself helped me to get to know others and relax a bit and feel apart of. Well, as soon as i began to get comfortable there, my family moved to Houston. It was a wish i had made within myself that came true. The move was also a job transfer for my husband and to open the doors to more opportunities for our 2 kids in school. All that has been a blessing for the family except ....poor little ol me. : ( Im not saying Houston is not nice, cause it is. Just more of everything one needs, but not me. I'd be happy with a blanket and pillow in my favorite AA meeting place back home. : ) Does anyone think about where they got sober at and wish they were back there? Baton Rouge is my hometown. It is where i made lots of wonderful AA friends who had become my family. I sooooo miss them. Each day i think about my favorite AA meeting called St. Paul's and wish i could just find a corner in there and stay there for the rest of my life doing what I love best. Baking for my AA Family. What a dream and wish come true if it could be. No, i havent bonded with AA here in Houston. To me it just isn't the same. Have ai tried...not really. Just dont have the drive to do so. I do go to meetings here but nothing compared to what i use to back home. Anyway.....just venting. I whin, wish, pray, hope, dream of being back home for good one day. A place like urs called home.

I'm still sober tho. And that in itself is a blessing. Im truely grateful for that.

Thanks for letting me share. : )
Old 03-25-2006, 03:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sharon, I think we talked before and you're on the opposite end of town from me (I'm on the East side). I don't know anything about the meetings anywhere else other than Northshore (my home group) and the Clear Lake area but I know what you mean about missing your group. Whenever I go to visit another group I always sit there missing my home group. They are a great bunch of down-to-earth people, not snobs. We're known as a "rough" group because of the area of town but I have met some of the kindest, warm and funny people there.

I hope that you will find the drive to explore Houston until you do find a group where you feel comfortable. I know if you were to show up at our group bearing a cake we'd have to knock people off of you with a stick LOL! We had a lady who did that for service work (she was my first sponsor). Unfortunately she went back out after a year sober and is now dead. Just hearing what you said made me think of her.

If there is anything I can do to help you get acclimated better to Houston, PM me.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 03-25-2006, 03:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am in my 3 rd home group.

From D.C. to Fl. and Ga.
From city to large town to village.
From large to medium to small in numbers.

The format has differerd,,,the accents changed...the rooms varied.

The warmth and caring has not changed.

For 4 years...
I used to go to D.C. to celebrate my AA anniversaries.
It was NOT the same as I was a stranger to most.

Your new friends await you Sharon !

Blessings...
Old 03-25-2006, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Smile

Hey, thanks ladies. : ) That's exactly what i need, a whole bunch of u guys to run me over for some cake. lol I'd love it tho. It warms my heart when i can feed a bunch of hungry alcoholics. lol Oh me. Hey thanks for making me laugh. I needed that. It doesn't matter how many days or years sober one has to feel the warmth and welcome from wonderful AA friends whether near or far. Right????? Thanks u guys for being here for me. Love and care.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Originally Posted by aasharon90
No, i havent bonded with AA here in Houston. To me it just isn't the same. Have ai tried...not really. Just dont have the drive to do so.
I'm sorry you are having a rough time in your new digs. I know it must be hard being in a different place with different meetings and different people. But you know what? Different doesn't need to mean better or worse.

We recently have had a couple of ladies show up at my home group who had mostly dropped out of AA when they moved here from other cities. Both of them said they left because they just didn't feel "a part of." Both of them also said it didn't take long for them to become completey miserable. They came to our group, opened up, and asked for help. They have both since become home group members and tell us they feel like they have been here all along! All it took was the willingness to take that extra step. (Remember that good ole willingness?) So much easier said than done, I know.

Give yourself a chance, hon'. Because you are worth it!!!
Old 03-25-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile

Thanks Laura-Lu. Ur name reminds me of a lady from back home name Lu-Lu. : ) A Sweet Lady. I have noticed that people I work with or customers Ive come to know and people here in these rooms have names like my AA buddies back home. Soooo there's no way of getting away from AA because peoples name will forever keep me connected to AA. If that makes sense. : ) But u r right about the misery part. I do feel miserable because of the lack of fellowship. I am isolating away from what matters the most. People. People in recovery. Caring people. People that understand another alcoholic. That's what Im lacking here at home. My family surely doesnt understand who I am. : ( And never will. It takes one to know one. Right? Anyway.....I did go to an AA meeting several weeks ago. It was nice to sit with people who are like I am. I shared and closed with the Lord's Prayer. I felt good about the meeting even tho i was nervous sharing. I get that way. Anyway....I'll keep coming back to share in order to stay sober. It's that important to me. : )