Notices

Can one wean off drinking alcohol successfully?

Old 06-02-2007, 03:55 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

cutting back

Your doctor is wrong. Clonazpam is a Benzodiazapam, which is more addictive than heroin. I started to substitute alcohol for it and it is a bad idea. I started drinking to stop the shakes and now I am dealing with the withdrawals from both at the same time. I will do it though.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Owlover. with the amount you are drinking I dont think withdrawals will be that bad, but everyone is different.

I highly reccomend you do not take Diazepam. Benzo's are highly addictive.

I tried to use zanax to help me quit drinking and ended up in alot of trouble with it. I became extremely addicted and ended up on it for over 10 years. Not to mention I started drinking again.

I didnt try meetings and that was a big mistake for me. If you feel you cant talk to your dr. or family, maybe you can try a meeting where there will be other people who have some clean time and help you get clean to.

I shouldnt really talk. I was always against meetings, but I see what it has done for others and I am going tomarrow. I havent been to a meeting since I went to rehab, and started drinking again so I know that is what i need to do.
I hope you decide to try and quit without the drugs, go to mettings and keep posting.

Good luck to you!!
Old 06-03-2007, 06:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I tryed weaning myself off and it doesn't work and I was already taking Benzo's for anxiety and it is true the Benzo's will help with alcohol withdrawls and not drinking, but then you get addicted to Benzo's whichis much worse to get off of than alcohol, I am starting over also -2nd day without drinking, but also taking xanax which I have been taking either xanax or clonezapn for about 4 years, but if I can ge toff of xanax after the alcohol I would be happy , but have doubts-xanax wil be much harder to get off of-it is very addictive.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Lost-n-Found

I could never quit alone, ever! 24 years of multi-drug abuse, Heroin, Cocaine, Hash, Extacy, Alcohol, and most of all Benzo's. My worst withdrawal ever came from benzodiazapines (mainly Bromazepam and Rohypnol). I got seizures, fake heart attacks, halucinations and more. My advice: Don't take benzo's even if a physician says you can. I am 98 days clean today (NA-the ONLY way) and still suffering from what Benzos have damaged, worst than heroin, much worst.
Love,
Magellan
Old 06-03-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I can't.
1 drink=1 drunk=1 binge.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:29 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Benzos

2ala2, your still dealing with problems from Benzos after 98 days? I’m coming off them to and don’t feel so good. How long is this going to take? It took me 2 weeks to come off of medication for heroin, which turns out is more addictive than heroin. I didn’t think this would take as long. I am almost a week into it now, but I am ready for it to be done so I can move on.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:48 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

How long were you using clonazepan darlig? I mean my dr. assured me that it wasn't addictive at the amount I am using it and for the time he prescribed it! Why do these guys keep prescribing this thing if they know that they are very addictive!?! You guys got me scared now!
Old 06-03-2007, 02:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have tried to limit my intake to once a week and under 4 beers, it hasn't worked. I don't know if it is viable approach for those of us who "like" to drink.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:55 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

clonazapam

I’ve been taking it for two years. I used to take 4mg a day. Over the past year I cut down to a mg and a half. I quit that cold turkey about a week ago and still don’t feel right. At times I really felt awful… nausea, shaking, and very uncomfortable. You shouldn’t be scared, just know that it’s a lot like heroin so I would get off of it as soon as possible. I don’t know why doctors prescribe it so frequently. It should really be a last resort for someone. It is very physically addictive.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:01 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hello. New here. Got here because I Googled "wean off alcohol". I'm beginning to be afraid...here's the story. I don't enjoy drinking. I don't drink for fun, or for depression...only for sleep. After working nights for 16 years I now have a day job and I cannot sleep. For two years I have been drinking just to sleep. I hold my breath and chug down whatever it takes to knock me out. Now it seems to have evolved into a chemical addiction. I'm shaking and feel like I'm about to explode. Even though, during the day, I have no desire for a drink...I NEED a drink. My heart is pounding from the moment I wake up. I have to go to work and interact with people all day while my brain is frying. I feel like I'm dying. I've seen three different doctors who "shamed" me for asking for sleeping pills and stated they didn't prescribe "those" kind of pills. Now I'm supposed to go to them and admit that I'm chemically addicted to alcohol AND want sleep pills? Please...advice. I live in a small town and everyone here is so judgmental. As I make my living in the service industry, any "scandal" will have dire financial consequences for me. This is very scary and I don't have any family for support. I feel marooned.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:58 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Owlover View Post
Hello! I just found this website when I was searching for solutions to curing my drinking problem. I have slowly, over the past four years, worked up to drinking every day. I drink Scotch, and at least 2 shots a day, but usually lately it's more like 3-4 shots a day. I try to make sure I drink with food, and with something like Perrier as a "chaser." I'd like to stop drinking, but I am afraid of getting the DT's if I just quit all of a sudden. Tomorrow I am just going to try cutting down my usual daily amount, and slowly keep on cutting down, over 3-4 months, until I am no longer drinking much, if at all. Has anyone else tried this successfully? I cannot tell my family, and I am ashamed to tell my doctor.
Would diazepam ease my withdrawal symptoms? I've read that it can, but I am worried about trying to buy diazepam without a prescription. Any advice any of you can give me would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

--Owlover
It's possible to wean off alcohol, and it will work, but it's highly unlikely an alcoholic will be able to do it. It's also highly unlikely anyone would experience DT's going cold turkey after 3-4 drinks a day. Cut back to 2 drinks a day for a week and then go cold sober, drink plenty of water, eat well and you'll be fine. Why would you even think about diazepam?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi!
First of all welcome aboard! You've come to a great place. The people here are so wise and often have really good advice to share.

Cutting down ... Has anyone else tried this successfully?
I have tried many times. Always unsuccessfully.

I am ashamed to tell my doctor.
I once heard that a doctor has seen every condition and illness at least 50 times during his career. Do you think your doctor's never seen an alcoholic?
Their's nothing to be ashamed about. Go talk to him!

Let us know how you get on.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi!
Welcome to SR!

Originally Posted by HairyPotter View Post
I'm shaking and feel like I'm about to explode. Even though, during the day, I have no desire for a drink...I NEED a drink. My heart is pounding from the moment I wake up. I have to go to work and interact with people all day while my brain is frying. I feel like I'm dying.
It's not allowed to give out medical advice here, but from what you've said it sounds quite likly that you're suffering from anxiety and/or panic attack.
Go talk to a doctor.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Stay away from it. It is even More addictive

Greetings:

I am an alcoholic. And always have been a heavy drinker. I am 28 and have drank a bottle or more of cabernet for about 3 years now.

I am currently experiencing what I would say are some physical withdrawal symptoms. Which were difficult for me to interpret at first. Because I did not necessarily have a push to go looking for a bottle.

I had just decided I wanted to stop. And by drinking the symptoms would go away . . . It is hard to explain other than extreme anxiety. Some clammy feeling skin and I noticed my hands seemed to sweat. My girlfriend would ask me if I had taken anything because my pupils would be large.

What I can tell you . . . as having used XANAX and gotten off of it. That if your looking to buy that stuff from an illicit source . . . man . . . you are in way more trouble. And way faster than anything than alcohol. And just wait until you see what getting off of that stuff is like . . .

MAYBE if your doctor writes you a ticket for it. But personally I just don't see how it can work if you have drinking tendencies. To me . . . and in my own personal opinion it is like prescribing an alcoholic a bottle of 180 proof Liquor to help get him off.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:49 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome workingtoturn

This is a fairly old thread - feel free to start your own thread and tell us some of your story

D
Old 05-19-2010, 06:36 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
jsm

Some can, some can't. I urge you not to be afraid to tell your doctor. There are several new meds that help people quit. One is called Campral and the other is Vivitrol. Both quite effective. Also, your doctor probably already knows how much you drink--we only fool ourselves, frequently not those around us.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:04 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yes, it is possible to taper of drinking to 0%

I had been drinking progressively more since college for about 20 years. At first, it was just beer. But I progressed to liquor and got a dui several years ago. I was ordered to do outpatient classes (which is a scam because the same companies that make your evaluation and recommendation are they same people who put on the classes and take lots of your money for telling you the same crap over and over). I was ordered to go to AA meeting but I had nothing in common with these people. Many of them were recovering alcoholics and drug users. They were all chain smokers and coffee drinkers. That all cost me more that $10,000, I lost my license for a year, had to do two days in jail and I was on probation for 5 years. I knew I needed to stop drinking, especially liquor. So I tapered off with beer slowly over a week. I had moderate withdrawals, but as long as I kept my BAC at progressively lower levels I quit entirely for a year. I lost 20 lbs, everybody was saying I looked good. My mistake was that I thought just drinking beer in moderation would never be a problem. I was wrong. I'm in the process of doing it again now which is easy to get motivated because I know it will significantly reduce both my quality of life and its duration, and that's all the motivation anyone should need.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi 67Camaro - welcome

Tapering wasn't possible for me or many others here.

I still think the responsible thing to do is see a Doctor...I nearly died from home detox, so I'll keep recommending professional help

We may not agree on that...but I hope you'll stick around - the support I found here has meant I've stayed sober and I haven't had to go through detox again

this is a good place to be
D
Old 10-14-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

What withdrawals did you experience from home detox

Dee74, you said you almost died from home detox. What symptoms did you experience? I'm starting a brand new job tomorrow after being out of work for 8 months. I'm trying home detox...second day now....I thought today was a better day, but I'm not sure. My problem was drinking about 12-18 beers a day, and I knew I could not afford to continue once I start my new job.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee!