Notices

I got busted big time..DWI

Old 03-09-2006, 09:52 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

((( Roy ! )))

I am so proud of you...all the actions you are taking to help yourself. Love you my friend! So glad to have you back around, you where missed!
Bless,
Trish
Old 03-09-2006, 04:44 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

Thanks all:

First and foremost thank you Anna..I have known you a long time and I am sure that you know that I dont need anybody beating me up..I do enough of that to myself. I can take constructive criticism but Tone and presentatation are things to think about when someone is facing something that has brought them to their knees both personally and spritually.

Max-Thank you, just fought for what I believe.

Muse-Thanks for the backup kid, I will return the favor sometime.

Overit-Thank You.

Needtobesober-Thank you. I am sorry that you had to go through all that. I am going through it now and if someone has not gone through it, it would be hard to fully understand the utter humiliation and lack of self-esteem not to mention the total murder of pride one experiences. The phone call to my wife alone after sitting in jail all night thinking of what to say and how to say it. It is almost as bad if not equal to calling to tell her you cheated on her with her sister. It suck's. The look in her eyes alone was enough to kill any pride I had left. I know, been there and doing it as it is not over yet. I live in VA. Look back a page and you will see the fine for not submitting to blow. The minimum fine is $2500 in my case because I DID. It could have been up to $5000 for not. Both carry the additional annual charge but ours is about 2-2 1/2 times what you stated. It's gonna hurt thats for sure. The interlock is mandatory even for first timers which is gonna run me another $1700 and the max jail is 12 mos...even though my record is spotless and I did nothing wrong other than fail the blow test. No weaving, speeding or breaking any traffic law in any way. My atty is using that in our favor as if he can kill the initial ticket for grounds of the stop and get it thrown out, the case is dead and thrown out as well. Either way, I will never do it again.

Jup-Thanks..I will get this under control with help.

Lee-You know me, worried but keep the head up and move on to better times. Thanks for checking in.

BSP-Thank You! The program is ran by a psych and ex-alkie or in reform for 15 years same diff. It is kinda both. It goes all the way down to what motivated you to start in the first place and deals with that after first dealing with the surface problem of the alcohol. It is kinda AA, Behavioral, Life Choice and Personal/Psychological Therapy all rolled into one program. It is not free, actually rather expensive but effective from the reasearch that I have done. He comes highly recommended and the bonus is that it is totally admissable in court and the he will attend as part of the program to testify on behalf of your progress. Almost always resulting in a lighter sentence. Not why I signed up but nice to find out when my atty told me after the fact.

Steve-Thank you. You just stated my sentiments exactly. I was busted no matter what. Why not have it recorded as well as the officer having to admit that you cooperated without fail. It will actually help you in the long run if you know that you are going down anyway. Dont make a bad situation worse is my stance. Here to not blow or test carries worse punishment than cooperation. What they want to see here is...I screwed up, I know it and I have a problem that I need to get help with...recovery. Nothing sings to a magistrates ears louder than that here, especially if you start before you are advised or told to. I signed up before my atty even told me to. You know why? I have a wife and two daughters from a previous marriage ages 16 and 19. What if one of them were coming to see why I was running late and my drunk butt ran into them and killed them? Or some other drunk? Or another drunk kill me? Or an innocent family coming home from late night bowling? That is why I signed up...I cannot and will not ever do this again!! I am a better person than that and it sounds like you are too. I thank you for your story and your honesty and am still confused about the same weekend thing. Thank you for following my dillemma and I wish we would have met under better terms. I am so ashamed and crushed by this that I feel lower than, well it would be inappropriate to use the terminology that would properly describe it. ICU, nah, toe tag and waiting for the toe to twitch. Thanks for being there and maybe someday I can return the favor. God Bless.

Trish,
What can I say as you are one of most committed long time friends here..as our Dotster used to say....Ditto

Thank You all so very much. You guys and gals are the greatest. I hope that you all know that I did not come here to tell this story for sympathy but in hopes that someone or even one of us will read it and realize that if you are drinking, dont drive...period. What I am going through now I would not wish on anyone as it haunts you every minute of the day. It reduces you to slime inside and takes any pride or self-esteem that you have and leaves it in the drain right outside the cold concrete holding cell. Those of us that have been through it have hopefully learned a valuable lesson and will not repeat the same mistake twice. For those that think...Aw I have done it for 15 years and never got caught, it only takes once and the states are cracking down hard. I am personally thankful for the eye opening experience as I woke up from it. I would have eventually killed someone else or myself because I got off so many times just because of who I am in the business world and all the cops know me or at least my name. Well, I met a newbie that did not know me or the area real well so to her I was just a well dressed drunk. It only takes once and I actually thank God for it. I dont care how successful you are or who you (think) you are, it is not right to drink and drive and just because someone is successful and in the spotlight does not give them a license to do such a thing either as all life is valuable and getting behind the wheel drunk endangers not only your own but your passengers and others. BB was right in the statement that it was a stupid decision. She used ignorant and the difference is that ignorance means you do not know better IE: Ignorant of the information. Stupid means that you know better and do something you know is wrong anyway for your own reasons. If this saves one life this week, what I am going through is worth it.
God Bless,
Roy
Old 03-09-2006, 07:01 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

Ummm

Wow, did I kill my own thread???
bump

Last edited by tryinagain; 03-09-2006 at 07:26 PM. Reason: bump
Old 03-09-2006, 07:33 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

I'm still here, Roy. I want to thank you for all you have done for us. And I'm sorry some folks have given you a hard time. It sounds like you have got a great atty and that things really are going to work out for the best. I can't imagine living with the kind of pain you have had. Wishing you the best!
Old 03-09-2006, 10:12 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

And as the Dotster used to say

" You Rock" LOL

Hang in there

HUGX
Lee
Old 03-10-2006, 03:10 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Sounds cool, trying, best of luck.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:27 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Jack

Hi Tryinagain....too bad you went to jail overnight. And all those fines, losing your license. Whew....I don't know why the cop didn't shoot you on the spot. Years ago a guy like you made an innocent wrong turn and hit my wife and myself broadside on my motorcycle. My wife is a paraplegic. I have 2 artificial hips and 2 artificial knees. I have 4 kids and at the time of the accident they were 7, 5, 3 and 11 months. My family was split up for 13 months, I lost my house, the guy who hit me was uninsured and guess who the hospital and doctors are sending the bills to? Hope you had a good time at your buddies that night. I also hope it's a long long time before you can do it again. A few years in jail wouldn't be enough.
God bless
Old 03-10-2006, 04:55 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justme57
And as the Dotster used to say

" You Rock" LOL

Hang in there

HUGX
Lee

I remember that! I miss that kid.

Hang in there Tryinagain! It can be done. I am proud of you!

xoxoxoxo

Ang
Old 03-10-2006, 05:08 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

Good thread here, sorry about the 'blow' stuff. I think since this Forum is about Sober and Recovery, we'd like to focus more on that and hear what has occured in the way of healing and change. This is not a legal forum and the penalties are yours alone to face.

What we CAN do is aid you in recovery efforts if you have the honesty and willingness to ask for help in that area.

btw, God Bless all our servicepeople whereever they are and whenever they have served!
Old 03-10-2006, 05:54 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Leigh

Roy,
I think your attitude is great, and I really think you've learned a huge lesson. It sounds like you realize that what you did was wrong and that you are truely sorry. Getting caught is usually a blessing in disguise. For me, getting away with so much only hurt me in the end. I'm so glad you've learned from you're mistake and that you are taking responsibility for you're actions. I don't believe that you started this thread for sympathy, you were only sharing what is going on in your life. Hang in there, you'll get through this. You will continue to be in my prayers.
Leigh
Old 03-10-2006, 07:21 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Originally Posted by tryinagain
...I screwed up, I know it and I have a problem that I need to get help with...recovery.
... I did not come here to tell this story for sympathy but in hopes that someone or even one of us will read it and realize that if you are drinking, dont drive...period.
... If this saves one life this week, what I am going through is worth it.
You're a good man, Roy, with a good head on your shoulders. I appreciate you posting this and keeping us updated. I think you're doing a really positive thing here for this community by doing so. I support you 100% and hope you'll continue to share what's going on in your life, one, because I care, and two, because of the reasons you've posted above.

Hang in there, Roy. So glad you're here!

Kelly (T4C)
Old 03-10-2006, 10:35 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Soberus Maxus

Wow this thread really brings us out doesnt it? Let me see Roy went out had some beers and made the horrible decision to drive and now he's gona pay.
Jack as horrible as your situation is do you really want Roy shot? Or do you want him to do what he's doing? Luckily Im so perfect that I've never made the mistake of driving after several beers.
Come to think of it maybe thats the crux of this thread. Our drinking devastates lives.
Our own, our kids and our fellow humans that we live with.
Our hospitals are full of drinking related problems, our jails are full, our familys are destroyed, are kids are scarred. I think the list is way longer than I can comprehend.
So what do we do?
We pick each other up recognize out shortcomings and strive to change.
All I see out of you Roy is your new mission. I think the details are good for us to hear. You fought for our freedom to express ourselves in forums like this. Now your fighting and leading in the way that you know how here. You look at your childrens faces and your wife and you know you have let them down.
I for one will not judge you. I support you. You signed up for treatment before you were required. Your first posts here were to throw yourself to the wolves.
Your only payback will be your sober time that you give to your family and us here your friends.
Now snap to soldier and keep putting one foot in front of the other.
You have my respect.
Max
P.S.
I will tell my story of getting busted some time. It was definately a deterrent for the future.
The look on my wifes face while my two babys slept and I returned home from jail was enough to help me make some life changes.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:59 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Paused

Hindsight is 20/20. We all have the capability to recognize that after the fact. Most of us suffer from lacking in better judgement while impaired. We do things we normally wouldn't do while sober.

I have made the mistake of getting behind the wheel after drinking. I always thought I was alright to drive. In hindsight, I could see that I was wrong. I should have never driven after/while drinking. I would shudder with remorse after the fact. I realize how wrong it was to make that sorry decision. The what if's kicked me hard. Most of us are guilty of that.

I am capable of recognizing things in hindsight. I will never be capable of predicting the future. Think of all the grief we could avoid if we were. We all make mistakes and are sorry for them in hindsight. Live and learn and don't repeat our mistakes. That is all we can do.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:23 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

Wow

Hey everybody! I hope that all are doing fine and none are going to make the horrible mistake that I made last weekend. I would like to specifically address each and every one of you on and for your comments and support but am compelled to respond to Jack as I sit here with tears in my eyes and it is never good to see a soldier cry as we all know. God bless you all for your support and positive comments. I love each and every one of you and want you to know how truly thankful I am!! God Bless and I hope nobody feels that I am blowing them off..I just have to do this.

Jack,
I have been sitting here with tears rolling off my cheeks for the last hour after reading your post and you are totally justified in how you feel. I am not telling you this for some type of sympathy but merely to let you know the level of regret and shame that I feel over my poor decision. I am more ashamed of myself than anybody could ever be of me. I cannot apologize for what happened to you as I am not the one that did it, Thank GOD. If you have fully read the thread, you know that already. The only problem with anything that you said is the "a guy like you". You dont know me and that is an unfair statement as you are lumping me into a group of pre-determined judgement. I take this very seriously and will never do it again. I am sorry that you and your family have suffered because of a poor judgement. I made the same but please allow me to explain the difference here. I understand your pain as I never knew my family as I was adopted and when I finally got to know my twin sister in high school we bonded as such. Two year later she was murdered in my natural grandparents driveway by a gunshot to the head after which he killed himself. I want so much to find a place or way to take that anger out and that is what you are doing here. I do understand. If you have read the full thread you already have an idea of who I am but you do not know me personally, yet. I will tell you what I have done since I fortunately got caught. I say fortunately because I did not nor will I ever do the very thing that hurt you and your family so badly which is not only to drink and drive but physically, financially and personally destroy someone or their families life. I signed up for the Crossroads program here in VA not only as a patient but as a volunteer assistant. I spoke and got completely bashed at a MADD meeting earlier in the week regardless of how remorseful I was. However, by the end of my speech, there were tears in many eyes and many thanked me and said that I can do alot to insure that the things that happened to you and your family do not happen again. I volunteered for the Salvation Army to help out with their drug and alcohol program on a volunteer basis. I will be giving a speech tomorrow at a major church which my daughter attends with her youth group as they are all driving age. The pastor also wants me to address the entire church from the pulpit. I have volunteered to head an alcohol program specifically for drunk drivers in our community through the police dept and churches as well as volunteer non-profit organizations. I have agreed to teach classes for recovering alcoholics and homeless people in order to teach them the skills that they will need in order to enter the workforce and even started my own back to work program, alcohol free where I teach them the elements of business ranging from sweeping the floor to running the show. The first thing in your mind will be that I am doing this in order to "get off easy". Well, let me give you a little background and clarify about me. I will not go into my past or how hard I had it or anything like that. The fact is that I have a heart and a soul in order with a strong belief in Christ and what is right. I fought in the service because it states in the bible that we should fend off evil at all costs to the extent of our life. I strongly believe and have been strongly involved in the church since I was 8 using my computer knowledge and speaking skills to help out when needed on a free voluntary basis. I was a missionary for 8 years as well. No lawyer, judge, police officer or anybody else told me to do the things that I did this week, I did it because I know what a drastically horrible decision it is and the consequences that can result of it. I have seen people crippled, die and completely disentigrate in the field of battle so I know what personal loss is like. These guys were my friends who we cooked out with, shot pool together, you name it. I know death unfortunately and have seen it first hand when you know they are going to die and ask you personally to help their family with their last dying breath. I am not offended by your post but extremely remorseful not only for what you went through but the fact that I took that very same chance. I believe things happen for a reason. My reason that this happened to me is this..I am a noticed and known member of society in church, business, government and national defense. I made a mistake and a poor judgement on that fateful night, thank you GOD for it turning out like it did as I was caught and did not harm anybody other than myself legally. Well, thats not all true as I hurt my family as well but nobody got hurt or killed, physically. My goal is to turn this around, not for court but because I think this was Gods way of showing me my wrong doings. Nobody told or asked me to do what I stated above, I did it because of my remorse and shame in the hopes that with my skills and abilities I can keep others from repeating my mistake. I have a lot of friends throughout the community and am a powerful speaker, I might just make a change for someone so that they do not make that mistake resulting in the very thing that happened to you. I understand your resentment and pain as much as I can and hope that you will recognize the sincerity and remorse that I am trying to relay. I have been through alot too and the reference to DOT here is an old friend and the only one that I told the whole and complete story of my unfortunate life to. If you really want to know, PM me and I will be glad to elaborate in full detail. Trust me, I know pain both physical and personal, you are not alone in that arena. It does not make my decision right but it might just keep someone else from doing the same thing and save a life.
God Bless,
Roy
Old 03-10-2006, 04:07 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

Roy,

I continue to be extremely impressed by your honesty and sincerity and I know that the service work you are doing and will continue to do, will have a great effect on people.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:12 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Paused

Very powerful post Roy. We all make mistakes and that doesn't diminish our self-worth. Your are a good person taking reponsibility for your actions. We haven't forgotten that.

To err is human, to forgive is devine.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:04 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

Anna, Thank you! Hope you and yours are well. I have not figured out what it is yet that I can do that others cannot but there is something there. I would say sent by God to complete a task. My daughter was goth, cutter, deep and dark and now is in church at least once a week for her group. She believes and is now disappointed if she does not attend. Unreal, even to my ex-wife. You too are a true blessing.

Muse, I thank you but nothing can really take the shame or kick to the pride but me at this point. What I can do is take the proper steps to insure that myself as well as others do not repeat my bad behavior. Please understand and do not take this negatively. You know how much I respect and love ya as a true friend, same to you Anna and the many other friends I have here.

Love and God Bless,
Roy
Old 03-10-2006, 05:13 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Paused

I know.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:10 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Hopefully Healing Up

Forgiveness

I wish I could forgive myself, but I am having a hard time with that as I keep reliving that night and all that it entailed. What could have happened did not and I thank God for that. Anyway, I am really tired of excusing myself and will hold my head high. Not for my mistake but for the many positive things that I have done with my life. I love you all and goodnight.
Love,
Roy
Old 03-10-2006, 07:21 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Paused

Many positve things lie ahead. You will see...