Notices

I am new to online recovery need some friends

Old 02-25-2006, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am new to online recovery need some friends

I am a newcomer to this website, first time ever. I am an alcoholic and an addict I have been sober since 9/11/05. But I have been going to AA for 5 years. I have had a lots of trouble surrendering, but I also keep changing addictions. I was and am addicted to gambling for awhile, I used gambling when I would pop pills to forget about all my problems at home. But of course I lost my husband made a mess of my finances anyway I am alone and I go to AA meetings 3-4 times a week. I am getting stronger by putting my faith in my higher power, I pray every day and I no longer do the things that I messed up. I live with guilt and I am working on my 4th step. I was wondering if there is anyone else that had addiction to gambling slot machines, that was a real high to me. BUt I had to admit to my problem, and am currently straightening out my mess. But the guilt is terrible, because I realize all the damage I did to my family. For awhile I was suicidal, but now I have friends and am earning my families trust again. I just want to meet people that had some of these same issues.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Midas

Welcome to SoberRecovery, Conejo! We're glad you joined us.

Old 02-25-2006, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Conejo! I'm glad that you are here. SR is a great place with a lot of great people. I want to be your friend.

My name is Ang and I am an alcoholic.

xoxoxo

Ang
Old 02-25-2006, 06:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Midas... I am hanging in there going through lifes ups and downs but staying sober
Old 02-25-2006, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

HI ANG
Thanks I am also an alcholic. I try to take things one day at a time. There are some hard days, I am going through a divorce at this time. I am having difficulty dealing with change especially the uncertainty of my life
Old 02-25-2006, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Conejo,

SR is a great place to visit. There is lots of information and inspiration here.

I'm Anna, alcoholic.

Dealing with change and uncertainty is hard. I was a control freak before I began drinking. When I stopped drinking I realized that I had a lot of work to do on letting go of things that I had no control over. There is so much uncertainty in life. I lived in fear for a long time. Now, I try to stay in the light!
Old 02-25-2006, 07:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Anna I too was a control freak for a long time especially when I was drinking, now I try to not worry about the small stuff. And try to take one day at a time... it is hard but it is a better life this way, I am looking forward to reading and learning more on this web site. I have to learn where to go and find the info I need to hear. I can keep reading all day and do nothing else... HAve a good day
Old 02-25-2006, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My shame was lifted when I finished AA steps 4&5

I do hope you will also find this true.

Welcome!!
Old 02-25-2006, 07:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
WNC HILLBILLY

Way to go. Keep it up.

Rob
Old 02-25-2006, 09:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Alera, addict.

I am a control freak also, which makes it hard. Just recently have I been able to back off of that even a little. Many addicts I know are/were control freaks, I don't know what comes first but at least for me, it is there and something I am working on daily.

Welcome