Notices

Help! Is there a non-drinking buddy out there?

Old 02-23-2006, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help! Is there a non-drinking buddy out there?

I haven't visited this site now for a couple of years. I'm at the point of not really knowing what to do. I am almost 2 days now without alcohol. I haven't put 2 back to back days together without alcohol for as long as I can remember. There is always a reason to drink (and in my case it's drink heavy). I'm desperately craving a drink right now. I don't know if it is a symptom of heavy alcohol withdrawl, but I've been in and out of heavy sweating bouts all day today. Is there anyone out there that is at the same stage as me? Someone who is looking possibly for a buddy to get through this?

FMario
Old 02-23-2006, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there Mario, welcome to SR

May I suggest you read the stickys at the top of the AA and Alcoholism forums ? Lots of info regarding withdrawals.

Congratulations on your day 2 great effort.

You do not have to do this alone.

I found heaps of non - drinking buddies in AA, and they all had been where I was ! Amazing!

Why not give them a ring , and get yourself some real time support

Keep posting

HUGX
Lee
Old 02-23-2006, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for that.

FMario
Old 02-23-2006, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi FMario

I read a couple of your old posts and I can relate. I am late 30's, professional and a year ago, I could not have imagined not drinking. My early posts sounded a lot like yours. I eventually decided that I wanted (and needed) to be sober more than I wanted to be a drunk - and I was willing to do whatever it took to get and stay sober. For me, that meant AA meetings. Have you reached that point? Are you ready to quit?
JMHS
Old 02-23-2006, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello Mario--Glad you made it back. I just celebrated two years clean and sober this week. It is an absolute f-ing miracle. How did I do it? I got honest and became willing to do whatever I had to do to get and stay sober. I am so grateful I did.

I hope you will stick around this time, even if you are still struggling. We're here for you! One day at a time will do it.

Please take care of yourself. Alcohol withdrawal is nothing to mess around with.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back....
Old 03-03-2006, 11:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

[Mario]

Get to AA. That's all I got to say. Get to AA. Keep going no matter what. Someone in early recovery isn't much good to you because they're as shaky and slip-prone as you are. (Were? I hope it's were). You need people who've been there and are now a couple of years sober. They will help you. Read Step 12. Read Tradition 5.

And again: Get to AA.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Mario
2 days is a big deal when you haven't had 2 days for a while. You should be proud of yourself! I've only been sober for a couple of weeks now but I'm trying not to count the days too much as I want to take each one at a time or it feels intimidating. I was sweating and shaking for 2 or 3 days but the energy and excitement of knowing that I was doing what I needed to do and giving myself a future without fear for my health was REALLY intoxicating. Keep with it. The more it hurts, the more you know that you are winning. Oh and don't get me started on the Calgary Flames! Pffft how many times did they beat 'my' team! Nottingham Panthers! They always lose but I love them anyway! Keep going Mario! Be like your team and win! Not like mine that always lose! *did I mention that I love them anyway?

*actually I can't specifically recall the Calgary Flames beating the Panthers but they get beaten so many times by all these super-cool Canadians that come over that I assume they have done. I've even got a Calgary flames shirt but I obviously don't wear it to Panthers games!
Old 03-04-2006, 05:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Mario

I am a 35 year girl from Australia and I am looking for a buddy. I haven't really commenced day 1 yet but will do as from tomorrow. I usually go 3-4 days ok and then fold.

I drink wine and usually more than 1 bottle. I am functioning as I work full time and own my home and do everything for myself. No one in my life knows. I am happy to share and support you. I actually experience withdrawals during the 3 days in between my binges. Sweats, shakes and vagueness. I know I will go through this tomorrow and thats ok cause its better than the C**p I've been going through for the last 3 years.

Feel free to private message me and we can go through this together. I don't go to AA because I don't have it in me right now. I am looking for alternatives and support elsewhere right now.

Anyhoo, I'm here if you want to chat.
Cheers
Braveheart