Notices

I really feel like boozing

Old 02-23-2006, 07:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I really feel like boozing

Hello, I'm 6 weeks into not drinking and I'm really feeling like drinking.

It really isn't helping that the sales manager has been pressuring me to take out one of his best clients for "Friday martini lunches". I haven't told him that I'm not drinking anymore and don't really want to. I haven't gotten an answer as to why he can't do this himself. Last week we went for lunch and i was able to refrain as the designated driver. Now he wants me to take over this duty without him. I feel like telling him to do it himself if it's so important to get this guy drunk but i know that it will not go well.

Anyway I just needed to vent.

Later
Old 02-23-2006, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Meat,

It really bugs the heck out of me when people pressure other people to drink!!

Nor do I think you need to tell the sales manager that you are not drinking if you don't want to. It's none of his business and it shouldn't be part of the job description. Can you take this guy out for a 'Martini lunch' and just not drink yourself. You know you don't have to feel like you owe anyone an explanation as to why you're drinking Coke instead of a Martini.

Hang in there and stick to your ground!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

(((((Meat)))))

I can understand the pressure thing yet if we pick up it is only because we wanted to. I just relapsed after almost 11 months clean. A friend and I went out on Valentines clean and then afterwards we talked about dope. Well I told her that if she wanted to get high that was her choice but I was not going to get high. We came to my apt and I sat there while she took 5 hits in about 1/2 hour or so. She then looked at me and said that I was making her nervous. I said that I would go in the other room and she said that wasn't the problem that she did not like to get high alone. She asked if I would smoke with her. I sat there for maybe 5 min and then I said yes.

I had a choice, I choose to pick up. It is not her fault that I got high nor is it my fault that she chose to get high. We are responsible for our own actions. I would like to tell you that if you choose to get drunk or high, it is not worth it to have to start all over. I am the king of relapse but I also know that you need to just save yourself right now. I am sending good thoughts your way.

Vic
Old 02-23-2006, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Support our Troops.

It is unbelievable to me that you can be put into this position by an employer. Of all the things that are not allowed on the job these days, this should be at the top of that list.

Getting people drunk or whatever to make a sale is unethical and immoral in my opinion only. I know that it is easy for me to say as I am self employed.

You have to do what you have to do to feed yourself and your family. Please be careful as you sit with your customer and drink your soft drink.

Stay strong and you can resist the temptation to use alcohol or whatever.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Peace begins with a smile

Do you really feel like drinking? Or are you feeling something else? Anger towards your boss?

It's really simple. You deal with the desire to drink on Friday when Friday comes, you ask for help from anything/SR/whatever. You just don't order a drink at lunch. If the guys asks, "You don't feel well" or whatever excuse you need to use. You just don't drink.
Old 02-23-2006, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Requiredfield said it well. "deal with friday when friday comes". Focus on today. On friday, do what you need to do to avoid drinking.

At some point, perhaps you can tell your boss you are abstaining from drinking. It's unacceptable that he would pressure you to drink. Perhaps you could speak with your doctor, and then tell your boss that your doctor told you not to drink anymore? On friday, you could drink soda with lime in a highball glass.. this looks like a drink. Most people who drink are too self-involved to care whats in your glass (somebody on SR told me this...and it's true).

A quick story about the "Gibson Martini": Gibson was a business man who would make great deals over Martini lunches. Before his meetings, he'd instruct the bartender to serve him water in a martini glass...with a pickled onion so he'd know his drink. When the cocktail waitress brought drinks for the table, he just told the other guys he liked the pickled onion better. After 4 or 5 with his clients, he would seal the deal...walk away sober...and tip the bartender well. According to legend, business deals were always in favor of Gibson...the star salesman. Today, the Gibson Martini is simply a martini decorated with a pickled onion...but the history is that of a salesman who didn't drink (and used the fact other people did to his advantage.
chip
Old 02-23-2006, 04:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Meat,

I am in sales too, and I know it can be tough to be put in that situation. I have found out that most people don't care nearly as much as I thought they would that I am not drinking - there are exceptions, but for the most part, people with drinking problems care about drinking, "normies" can take it or leave it. I hope it works out for you!
JMHS