Notices

cant get right

Old 02-17-2006, 09:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

cant get right

hello everyone trying to get some time under my belt. I previosly had 10 years clean,comming out of a terible addiction to drugs. I picked up a drink 7 years ago and though I knew in my heart that I could never use drugs again and I didnt but I never thought I would be a alcoholic boy was I wrong I have been a daily drinker for some years now and Im tierd of living my life defeated I have made all the arangments for treatment and stuff doing things that will help me get some recovery.I want my life to be a testamony and if that is going to be a reality I need to find that strength to not pick up that drink they say if you dont pick up the first drink you wont get drunk. The problem has been for me not bieng able to.Everything in me crys out I want to be free I dont want to be bound to this anymore.For today I want to be sober more than I want to drink just hope I can make threw the day.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile Help Is Always Avaiable

Welcome. Your in a good place here amongst good people in recovery. Hi, I'm Sharon and I'm an Alcoholic. The first step you took was coming here to Sober Recovery looking for answers and help and ADMITTING you have a problem with drinking. The next step is to ACCEPT that you have a problem. Then third is BELIEVING in a Power greater than urself that would help u stay sober, whether it be ur Higher Power upstairs or people in these rooms or anything. After those 3 there are up to 12 Steps in recovery we work and apply to our daily lives. No need to rush the steps tho. We all had to learn how to crawl before we walked. : ) Right? They say that when one has been beaten down or one has hit bottom and when Alcohol has stopped working for you, then its time to begin take the Steps in Sobriety. I knew when i was beaten down when my family stepped in and did a family intervention on me. They helped me when i couldn't help myself anymore.
The signs were there but I was to blind to see what drinking was doing to me and my family. Just one more drink id tell myself and all will be ok. One more drink and I'll go home. Not..! Late nights at the clubs, driving up the interstate the wrong way.Thank God I didn't kill anyone. But damn near killed myself. My behavior had become wrecklace. A bad car accident then an attempted suicide was the last straw at hitting my bottom. I couldn't take being a failure anymore and life itself. Into the police car I went headed off to Rehab. just like a criminal. There i stayed for 28 days because I wanted to. I was too afraid to leave after 2 weeks and needed more time to learn about my disease. By suggestion in AA, I got my Big Book and a Sponsor and went to meetings and more meetings. There's a Gentleman here in these rooms just celebrating his 50th Sobriety Birthday. WOW I thought. How awesome can that be to have someone just like me to stay sober that many ONE DAYS AT A TIME. What and inspiration. . Just like you and I , we can be inspirations to the NEWCOMERS just starting out. Share ur story to the newcomer and eventually you will begin to see the miracles happen in these rooms. Good Luck and God Bless.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ASH

Originally Posted by Kylah
today I want to be sober more than I want to drink
Hi Kyalh,
You have made a good start. Deciding you have a problem
and deciding you want to be sober is great.
Just do it for today
Old 02-17-2006, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
REZ

Thank for sharing this. I have been clean and sober for 21 years thanks to NA and AA and the 12 steps. Since I liked drugs more than alcohol, I sometimes contemplate the idea that I might just be a pothead and not an alcoholic. But I always remember that I did do my share of drinking too, and that if I didn't have drugs, I would certaintly be getting drunk. So, I don't think I would be able to drink successfully. Your story helps me to see that. Hope you make it back. Try AA/NA. They saved my life!
Old 02-17-2006, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hey Kylah--Welcome to SR! Glad you found us. I am an alcoholic too. I know what you are going through. Barring anything awful happening, I will have 2 years this coming Tuesday. What did you do to get clean? Did you use any kind of recovery program? I was able to get and stay sober (and clean--I was a pothead, too) by going to a residential treament center for 30 days and going to AA since. I have a homegroup, have worked the steps, and I also come here alot! This is a great place for support and encouragment. I hope you will keep coming back!

Hang in there, and remember to take it one day at a time.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hello and Welcome!

It is always a wise move to see your doctor before quitting.
Have you considered that?

It's great to see you here...
Old 02-17-2006, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kylah
I previosly had 10 years clean,comming out of a terible addiction to drugs. I picked up a drink 7 years ago and though I knew in my heart that I could never use drugs again and I didnt but I never thought I would be a alcoholic boy was I wrong I have been a daily drinker for some years now and Im tierd of living my life defeated.
This is why I do not consider myself clean unless I am also sober. I do not consider myself sober unless I am also clean. This is a slippery area for some and, Kylah, I hope your story helps some people who struggle with this same question.

I applaud you for recognizing your alcoholism and committing to doing something about it. Is AA in your aresnal of tools? That's what got me clean and sober and keeps me that way - one day at a time.

Amen to Sharon's post, too! She walks her talk and talks her walk. Right on!

Keep us posted on your progress, Kylah. You have a mountain of love and support right here on SR pulling for you!