Notices

Question about consumption

Old 02-10-2006, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about consumption

First I want to say I am new here, but have already received so much more inspiration and enthusiasm about quitting than I ever did before. What a great group ya’ll are.

I am 10 days into my latest attempt. I hope I don’t catch too much flack over this, and I am not trying to start a contest, but I was wondering where my consumption compared to others. Like most of us here, after a point, I find I just want to drink more & more. Depending on my mood, time of day when I start, etc, I usually would continue to drink til I passed out, or sometimes I could make it to a "normal" bed time.

Anyway, my last big bender, I drank the equivalent of about a liter of hard booze. I consider that about 20 drinks, in the space of about 5 hours. (1000 L/50 ml/shot = 20) I count one drink as 50 ml of whisky, or vodka and such, or one beer, or one 175 ml wine mini. This was a bit much, even for me. Boy was I ever sick.

I weigh about 190lbs. I am 47 yo and have been drinking since about 16. I drink (drank, I hope) to excess about 2-4 days a week, and it is usually between 10-15 drinks, using my math. (I have spent many a morning after counting up just what lead me to this state). But, like many of us, I seem to want just a little more each year.

I will say, I have been able to stay away for weeks, even months at a time. I like to run, and when I am training is when usually when I abstain. Problem is, I usually reward myself with a good drunk after the run. One of my goals is to try and break that cycle this year.

Thanks for listening!

S
Old 02-10-2006, 10:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi and welcome Steve.

Alcoholic of the female variety that could really knock back the beer. Never drank hard liquor, maybe a glass of wine once a year during the holidays. It had to be beer, beer, beer! Your right, we all vary in styles and choice of drinks as well as consumption. I do know that drinking 12-24 beers several nights a week wasn't very lady like though. Just couldn't stop either.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi I'm new as well I tried to post last night and deleted or lost it somehow. Great job on your 10 days today is 7 for me. I don't (didn't) count beacuse I usually blacked out soon into the bottle or whater ever. (Bad sign) If it was hard liquor which I haven't brought into the house for a long time because I would try to drink the whole 5th in one night and it was harder to hide from my sig other just how much I drank. So in my mind I would drink more civilized and have wine. Thay way I could hide the bottles.( I'm so smart) until recycling day or I would be driving around with a big bag of empties trying to despose of them.
Anyways I really enjoy this site and have learned so much about the disease. I know I should never drink again. But I know that I can focus on not drink today. Also I'm terrified of all the health ploblems that come with drinking. As we get older and the longer we abuse our only mind, body and spirit I may wake up one day and the damage will be done.
I'm greatful that I'm still healthy Brain, liver ect. and hopefuly repair what damage I have done. The liver is very forgiving. Wow logging this all down has made it very real for me.
I also live a sudeo health lifestyle and reward myself with drinking thats the only reason I follow through with anything IT'S ALL ABOUT THE REWARD. I have to rethink my everything.
Thank you all for being here before me
Old 02-10-2006, 11:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
a hole new life

Hi Steve and welcome, your in a great place, as regards to volume consumed at my worst I was putting back 2 bottles of Vodka over a 24 hour period, probably 4days out of 7 and cutting back to 6/7 beers on the other days. Your 10days is a great achievement, keep up the good work
Dave
Old 02-10-2006, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

H, Im Sharon and I'm an alcoholic.

Thanks Steve and Dragging It Out for ur shares. Stopping any kind of addiction, habit, obsession or anything seems hard for me. The key is learning how to stay stopped. If that makes sense. I use to reward myself mid day with a glass of wine. Cold red wine. A small glass wouldn't do either. The first glass was fine, then 2, then many more to follow till it was time for bed. I use to think I was like my grandfather or maybe because I'm Italian, that I could drink anyone under the table and not hurt anyone or get drunk. Wrong was I. : ) Yard work was the best to get rewards from. Start with mowing the grass after an hour trying to get the darm thing started. lol Then mow the yard, edge, weedeat. A drink or 2 at first then I was pumped to finish after 5 or 6 hours. Boy did the yard look GREAT. It was PERECT. Well MANICURED. and it was. : ) Pisted me off after spending all that time out there and my husband would just say, yeah it looks good. Man I wanted him to say, IT LOOKS AWESOME HONEY. You out did urself. Well, not hearing what I wanted, i just drank over it. Drank to numb the sore muscles, sunburn and the GREAT ACCOMPLISHMENT I did by MYSELF. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. : ) There are many reasons each one of us have drunk over and many reasons to stop drinking. At the beginning of a meeting someone reads HOW IT WORKS. RARELY have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. If you have decided you want what we have and are willing to go to any lengths to get it - then you are ready to take certain steps. Then there are the 12 Steps of Recovery we follow and practice in our everyday life one day at a time. Family intervention brought me to AA after a horrible accident and an atempt to end my misery. My family did for me what I couldn't do for myself. For 28 days in Rehab, I had to take those first 3 steps befoe I could move on. Admitting i had a problem with alcohol, accepting I had that problem and Believing in something, anything Greater than myself to help me stay sober. Even if it was the people in those AA rooms at the time. I had to crawl before I walked in AA. Today, I'm still trudging along the road of recovery amongst many wonderful people. You two are welcome to join us as we all share our own experiences, strengths and hopes with one another as we stay sober one day at a time.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Moderate Drinking

The US based NADAA (National Association of Drug and Alcohol Abuse) defines moderate consumption of alcohol as one drink daily for women and two for men.

One drink is defined as a glass of wine, 6 ounces

A cocktail consisting of 1 ½ ounces of liquor

Or one 12 ounce bottle of beer.

Heck! I passed those ammounts from the git go!!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi and welcome. I'm a woman, and was drinking about a bottle of wine every night (around 4 glasses). That might not sound like a lot, but it was more about my obsession with it. I did it every single night, and if I was in a situation where I couldn't drink, or drink as much as I wanted I got very uncomfortable and anxious. I HAD to have my wine. If I drank more than that, I blacked out-- which I did on more than one occassion.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

BTW....it's not about

why you drink..or how much..or where or what...

It u is about how your body and brain processes alcohol.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steve58
First I want to say I am new here, but have already received so much more inspiration and enthusiasm about quitting than I ever did before. What a great group ya’ll are.

I am 10 days into my latest attempt. I hope I don’t catch too much flack over this, and I am not trying to start a contest, but I was wondering where my consumption compared to others. Like most of us here, after a point, I find I just want to drink more & more. Depending on my mood, time of day when I start, etc, I usually would continue to drink til I passed out, or sometimes I could make it to a "normal" bed time.

Anyway, my last big bender, I drank the equivalent of about a liter of hard booze. I consider that about 20 drinks, in the space of about 5 hours. (1000 L/50 ml/shot = 20) I count one drink as 50 ml of whisky, or vodka and such, or one beer, or one 175 ml wine mini. This was a bit much, even for me. Boy was I ever sick.

I weigh about 190lbs. I am 47 yo and have been drinking since about 16. I drink (drank, I hope) to excess about 2-4 days a week, and it is usually between 10-15 drinks, using my math. (I have spent many a morning after counting up just what lead me to this state). But, like many of us, I seem to want just a little more each year.

I will say, I have been able to stay away for weeks, even months at a time. I like to run, and when I am training is when usually when I abstain. Problem is, I usually reward myself with a good drunk after the run. One of my goals is to try and break that cycle this year.

Thanks for listening!

S
Not sure what you are asking here. Are you wondering if you have a problem or are you just curious how your alcoholism stacks up to others? If you ARE wondering,....Im told,...and believe, ...that if you ever find yourself questioning your own drinking. If you ever wonder to yourself if you are an alcoholic,....than you most likely are. I'd say that you definitely are,...but,...people would get mad at me. So Ill stick with most likely. Now,....your case? Yeah,...I'd say you have reason to wonder. Normal drinkers dont know that one liter is about 20 drinks. They just dont KNOW that kind of info. A good way to answer a question of "Am I an alcoholic?" is by asking yourself "Whats going on in my life that I may want to escape from?" "What could I possibly want to perhaps hide from in my life for atleast a couple of hours at a time?" I bet if you DO have these things,....booze is what you use to "hide or escape" isnt it? If you are wondering if you have a drinking problem. If drinking has caused any problems,...grand or minor,..in your life. If friends or family have commented on your drinking habits. If you ever call in sick to work due to drinking in any way. If you ever have blackouts. If you ever get the shakes. These are all "YES" signs or red flags.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hi there
Wine for me...for a while it was one bottle was ok to get a buzz for me 2 - 3 times a week. Then 1.5 bottles and then, suddenly it seems, it was 2 bottles that was necessary for that REAL buzz! About 2 - 3 times a week. 2 bottle would make me black out. The last 'escapade' after having some time sober and trying to moderate (which worked briefly) ended up being a blackout of many many hours and about THREE bottles of wine! How did THAT happen!

Cunning, baffling powerful disease...but MOST important progressive!!!!

I am so happy and grateful to be sober today. I had a great day at work and went to supper with an AA friend then a meeting. Tomorrow I will wake up happy and refreshed...thank God I am not drinking! It is no life, really.

Well done on your 10 days!

CAthy31
x
Old 02-10-2006, 04:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

At the end, a little over two months ago, of my drinking days, I was putting away 1/2 to 3/4 of a bottle of vodka or whiskey a day, plus a couple of beers to wash it down with. I was getting up at 2 or 3 in the morning to have a couple of shots so I could "get to sleep" again.

Now, I fall asleep almost the moment my head hits the pillow and I wake up in the morning without an alarm clock--or a headache.

Having been a bartender in the past, I have seen many different types of alcoholics. The worst was a guy who ran up a $110 bar tab in 2 hours--and he drank all of it except for a $2 bottle of beer. That guy used to have a system of hand signals for things like matches, ashtrays, another drink, the bill, etc... so he wouldn't have to talk to us and get cut off for slurring his words. I don't know what happened to him, but now looking at it from this side, I really hope he got help.

Anyway, I wish everyone peace and serenity in their journey for sobriety.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much for your honest and supportive responses. It may sound funny, but it made me feel less alone in all of this. Keep 'em coming
Old 02-13-2006, 03:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You are welcome Steve !

Once at SR you are never alone .

HUGX
Lee
Old 02-13-2006, 05:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
REZ

Like they say, it doesn't matter how much you drink. What matters is how drinking affects you. If you lose control of your drinking and your life goes to hell when you drink, you probably have a problem! For me, I drank almost every night of the week and on the weekends much more. My highest total was about 20 drinks in one day on the weekend. On weekdays, it was about 4-6 drinks, but always enough to get drunk. I didn't really care what time it was when I drank. Sometimes, I would be ripped first thing in the morning. I also did drugs. I never drank just one glass of wine or one beer.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I actually kept an Excel spreadsheet for a year to track how much I was drinking and how much it cost. How's that for a masochistic obsession? In 12 months I spent about $6000 on booze (and that was just the liquor store bills, I rarely went into bars).

The alarming thing to me was that as high as my consumption was a year ago, it was even higher a year later. I thought I had levelled off but the numbers didn't lie. By the time I mananged to quit, my typical weeknight would be 6 large European beers and half a bottle of wine. On weekends, it could be twice that. Really the only thing that stopped me was falling asleep (or passing out, more like).

But as Carol and others are saying above, it's not really about numbers, it's about how you react to the alcohol. Once I started drinking on any given day, I could no more stop than I could reverse the flow of Niagara Falls. The only solution for me is not to start at all. Ever. This amazing revelation only took me 25 years to recognize!