Notices

I want to know why

Old 02-06-2006, 06:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to know why

I just want some feedback on why when I dont drink Im fine but when I do drink I go out of control and cant stop until I pass out. I have hurt people close to me. I just want to know why I lose control so fast.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Congratulations for seeking answers to your drinking.

Alcoholism is a disease.

I suggest you get more factual info

My favorite 'handbook' on alcoholism is
"Under The Influence"
and it has a sequel..."Beyond The Influence"

Both can be ordered from Amazon...

Glad to see a new member...we do understand and you are not alone.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

People react differently to alcohol for many reasons. It's hard to say why you lose control so fast. I think more importantly, what can you do about it? Some people just can't drink. I'm one of them. Welcome and I hope you find some answers to some of your questionsl
Old 02-06-2006, 06:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This happens to my husband who is also an A. He now seems to have a lot of blackouts when he drinks even at the beginning before he is intoxicated, he cannot remember whole evenings sometimes. He is trying to quit and enter into recovery. Please keep trying. Please remind your family that you have a disease and that you do not intend to hurt them. I'm the wife of an alcoholic so I can understand their hurt, plus it is hard since you are so powerless.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Hi, mistyluvs. Thanks for the question. I'll try to share my experience, strength, and hope, which is all I'm qualified to do. The only expert on your story is you. I am only an expert on my own story.

One definition of an alcoholic is: someone who, after the first drink, cannot guarantee his/her behavior. I certainly fit that definition. I never knew if I was going to have two drinks or twenty, would be loud or quiet, friendly or sarcastic, humorous or nasty. All I remember is my personality was changed by that first taste of alcohol. Every time.

Get an Alcoholics Anonymous "big book." Start reading at page 21, the paragraph "Here is the fellow that has been puzzling you..." Hopefully it will pique your interest enough to read the book cover to cover. The book's text can be found online.

Post again, let us know how you're doing. We care about you.