Notices

acceptance was the answer

Old 02-06-2006, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb acceptance was the answer

Hi my name is Ed an i,m a alcoholic/addict. Frist I like to say I have enjoyed what I have read here. An how great to see people helping people.I have been an alcololic/addict for 30 year.I have been married 3 times so I know the pain I have caused to my childern and exwifes.I will not go into all of my story. But hope to share what helps me now. I had real anger problems,I hate everybody,I blamed everybody for what I have become.I have been sober for 11 month now but for the frist 4 month I could not deal with the anger I had towards certian people even my exwifes. But I kept going to meetings and ones of the men took me aside and told me to read the Big Book page 449 of third edition 417 of four. It say acceptance is the answer to all my problems. When I am disturbed,it is because I find some person,place,thing, or situation-somefact of my life-unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person,place,thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. I will not write it all out,I just thought it might help someone. I was told to read this page 5 times an to think about what it means. I start my day by reading this page and I find that during the day when things happen to **** me off it pop in my head.An believe me still a lot thing **** me off still but now I deal with it or walk away and think about it. I hope this may help someone. Thank you for letting me share.and I hope everybody has a good Twenty-four. Ed
Old 02-06-2006, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by edupnorth
...acceptance is the answer to all my problems. When I am disturbed,it is because I find some person,place,thing, or situation-somefact of my life-unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person,place,thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.
Welcome to SR, Ed. Glad to have you here.

I chaired a meeting on this very same passage from the BB a few weeks ago and it was one of the best meetings I have ever been to. Everyone could relate and, it seemed, needed the reminder - which is why I picked it, because I needed the reminder.

Acceptance is POWERFUL. It can eliminate anger and shame and blame. I think it works for me because, by accepting the things I find unacceptable, I can focus my energy on the solution, which is me and my program.

Great reminder, Ed. Thanks.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Ed...Welcome!

I consider the short version of Acceptance to be the
Serenity Prayer.

Well done on your sober time