Notices

are these feelings normal?

Old 01-28-2006, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

are these feelings normal?

hiya it lisa here.
i cant stop feeling envious about people going out on the town, is this normal?
i am 29 years i did have my own place but now living with parents again, i sometimes really would my own place and space.
i have no social life and it bugs me to death.
i would like some new friends, how do i find them?
i am currently looking for a new job, i just dont want to be put in a situation where there is drink and drugs.thanks lisaxx
Old 01-28-2006, 12:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think it's perfectly normal.... in fact.... I was thinking that very thing this morning. Thinking about all my friends who just drink socially and can actually stop after just 1-2 drinks and not drink again for weeks or months!
Old 01-28-2006, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sure... I think we all felt that way in the beginning.. I lived and breathed in the bars... Hard to change ones entire social life.. ( smile )

AA helped there... Lots of new friends.. We would get together and go to coffee, out dancing, picnics and a lot more... I started living again rather than just drinking and began to have more and more to do.. Taking care of life.. Working again, get back into my hobbies again and pretty soon I was wondering how the heck I had found time to drink.. (smile)..

I made a whole set of new friends both in and out of AA. I have friends who are normal and don't drink or party. We get together and share with the things we have in common. We go to town for a day about once a week. The list can go on and on.

Linda
Old 01-28-2006, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
raerob

Absolutely...I think it's perfectly normal to feel that way...especially in very early sobriety. My theme song was, "I Love The Night Life"! Absolutely hated, "The Party's Over"!

I found my night life at AA meetings, partying with lots of new sober friends. Sometimes the parties were simply hour-long sessions of eating, laughing, drinking coffee at the diner after meetings...but, no barfing, no falling all over myself, no hang-overs, no waking up in strange places with stranger faces!!! What did I really give up?

Old 01-28-2006, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah I think that's pretty normal, you'll find new friends who aren't into drinking and drugging 24/7, tho!
Old 01-28-2006, 09:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi lisa , another newbie here. I think most people go through this. Heck, even when I was drinking I was envious and sometimes mad at people who could go out and have a good time "responsibly". I've realized over time though that I shouldn't misdirect the anger at them or myself. They are the way they are and I am how I am. I am an alcoholic who can't and hopefully will continue to not hurt myself.

7 days and counting....
Old 01-28-2006, 09:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I didn't stop drinking and drugging to not have fun. I still have lot of fun living like a normal person though.

There's not one thing I can't do today. Not one thing.

You have comedy clubs where you are? Comedy brings joy to the soul. Get some people together and hit a comedy club. Go to movies with friends. concerts are good in the winter. Forget the Stones you'll have to take out a loan on a ticket