Notices

I'm a woman on the edge!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2006, 04:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry I'm a woman on the edge!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am having a terrible day (actually terrible two days). My father was admitted to the hospital yesterday afternoon with pneumonia, almost exactly a year after my step-mother died (of pneumonia). Anyway, the urge to drink is unbearable. If there were booze in the house i'd be drinking it, no doubt in my mind. I'm at my wits end. I'm only 12 days into this thing and i'm ready to give in. I don't want to deal....i just want to drink. I don't want to go to a meeting, i don't want to read a book.......I want to ISOLATE AND DRINK!
Old 01-21-2006, 04:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Now ig ! it,s when you feel you DONT want a meeting , that you should go.
Ring an AA friend, and say what you have said here

Ring your Sponser , and Ditto.

Post here and vent

have a HUGE choccy malted milk

A bowl of icream

hang from the chandelier

JUST DONT PICK UP 1 DRINK TODAY!!!!

You don't have to do this alone

HUGX
Lee

PS I am sorry about your Dad , and the aweful coincidence for you in the dates, but he is in a safe place, and you'd be no good to him if you drank, hon xx
Old 01-21-2006, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Have a happy hangover remember them? They get worse!!!! If you have not experienced any withdrawls you are lucky but, if you did I hope you will remember them(withdrawls) before you take a drink...
Old 01-21-2006, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
raerob

Don't mean to be insensitive to the situation with your Dad; but, how exactly would your drinking/getting drunk HELP HIM!?! What you really need to do is force yourself to get to a meeting, and share these feelings with fellow sober AA's!!! Listen to your HP, and practice what you've "preached" in your own tag line:

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got -
You'll be wanting to visit your Dad and offer him your emotional/moral support...can't do it, if you're drunk and/or hung over!!!

Old 01-21-2006, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know it's hard. But yes, maybe bring a book in that you know he would like and read to him. Helping others makes you feel better about yourself. If you can't bring yourself to do that at the moment - go out and get a litre of ice-cream, a brilliant book or dvd and indulge yourself.

I really do believe that ice-cream helps with the cravings when they are really bad as it's calcium and sugar. Try to otherwise have a healthy diet though. A slip or two is better than indulging in alcohol. And you can always exercise the ice-cream off. You won't have that sickly guilt feeling accompanying a hangover tomorrow either.

Do you have a membership with your local library? Read up on nutrition and alcoholism. It's enlightening.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Ig,

Sorry you're having a rough couple of days and I hope your dad recovers quickly from the pneumonia.

You'll get through this without drinking and you'll feel so good about doing it! Twelve days is great and you don't need to stop now. Do anything you can to take your mind off drinking!
Old 01-21-2006, 04:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When you make it through this rough patch, you will be so much stronger. The worst thing for you now would be to end up with a horrible hangover that would only add stress to your already stressful situations. I'm so sorry to hear about your dad.
Remember, that now is the time when you need to take special care of yourself. And enjoy that big bowl of ice cream or a warm bubble bath.

Don't take a drink-- it is not worth it!
Old 01-21-2006, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Soberus Maxus

Hey igfan, I really dont want you to drink. Im having a hard time with this myself. We all have our personal problems alot of people in here do some worse than others and right now its your turn to be in a bad spot. That totally sucks!! But tipping a bottle wont help your dad and its not going to help you either. Yikes I hate feeling like this to. Go to the hospital and be with your dad. He needs you sober and healthy. He wants the best for you and thats not drinking. I hate seeing people hurt and you included. Im not trying to be harsh but were all in this together when one of us is in a bad way we all are. I hope you make it thru this time you will be stronger on the other side. Bla, Bla, Bla, You know what I mean.
Max looking in the mirror talking to himself.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

And you , dear max , take some of your own advice ! Take care my friend

HUGX
lee
Old 01-21-2006, 06:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just try to approach this rationally: what good will it do to drink and what are the con's? Bet the con's outweigh the good things, right? And how will this help your dad? How big of a chance is there he'll really die from pneumonia?

Hang in there.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayer works
Old 01-21-2006, 08:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((igfan))

12 days sober is great! and, in the beginning, you feel vulnerable so often, its important to keep sharing with other sober alcoholics, don't isolate yourself, and don't listen when that disease starts yelling in your inner ear. Soon you'll know its voice for what it is: not your friend

((igfan)) and ((max))
You probably have lots of feelings all coming to awareness right now, and that is as it should be. Practice tolerance and acceptance with yourself. And, when the going gets tough: I agree, chocolate ice cream and bubble baths work wonders. So does sleep, exercise, reading, talking to someone and writing it out here at SR.

We ARE all in this together, Max!! Thanks for that gentle reminder
Old 01-21-2006, 08:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hows it going for you now ms Igperson

it is 43 degs C here and I have been reposing in a cold bubble bath, minus the icecream

Hope you are feeling better

HUGE HUGX
lee
Old 01-21-2006, 09:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

on the edge

If you drink the problem isnt gonna be solved its still gonna be their and youre even gonna feel worse if you drink Lee
Old 01-22-2006, 09:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=BSPGirl] How big of a chance is there he'll really die from pneumonia? /QUOTE]

Same chance there was of my step mother dying from pneumonia a year ago! We all thought she was going to be fine.......2 days later she was dead.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

oh, by the way, i didn't drink. WEnt out this morning and bought "Under the INfluence" and Dr. Phil's "Self Matters". Feel better today.....DAY 13!
Old 01-22-2006, 10:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Igfan,

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better today!
Old 01-22-2006, 10:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Super....

Look at the back of 'Under" at the eating plan.
I used it for my early sober months.
Old 01-22-2006, 11:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi there Ig , so glad you made it !

I have read that " Self matters", and I thought it was great , hope you enjoy it

HUGX
Lee
Old 01-22-2006, 12:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

In active addiction, it's all about us.

When I used or drank in response to something happening outside of me, it was my way to make it about me. Look at how I'm hurting/feeling angry/stressing.

Pretty rough realization for me. At thirteen days sober (congrats!), I can't imagine how difficult it would have been for me to detach from the bondage of self. Heck, it's still an old habit that tries to muscle in. Until it becomes a new habit, how about, when someone around you is suffering, asking yourself the question, "How can I best help this person?" The answer might be that there's nothing you can do. I can guarantee that if you're being true and honest, you won't ever get the response, "Drink!"

Serenity prayer works wonders.

Keep on keepin' on. Don't drink, read those books (as well as the Big Book!), and get to a meeting....all suggestions, of course. Oh, yes...and pray.

I'll pray for you, too.

Peace & Love,
Sugah