Notices

I'm new

Old 03-02-2006, 02:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I feel your pain

hi tina,
Im also a stay at home parent but im male. I truly understand your issues.
This a crazy drug (disease) we have. Its tough work I hate drinking i have panic attacks like crazy.. Thats where the drinking comes into play. So i feel ya. Good luck! wish u the best and all of us 2!!

Originally Posted by tina122569
Hello. Well I just found this page and I thought I'd give it a try. I'm a 36 y/o female and have had panic attacs and trouble with alcohol for 10 years. I'm a stay at home Mom so I have no work related problems. I have always managed my drinking and never let it interfere with my family life e.g. I never drink if I know I have to drive somewhere, and can control myself in company. I have been on Celexa, Lexapro (a hybrid of Celexa) and am currently on zoloft with an 'as needed' prescription of Klonopin. I also have anxiety based hypertension. I worry about my blood pressure...my Dr. does not. He has a point...it only goes way up when I'm stressed. Anyways, I moved to a small town a few years ago and still know very few people and thought I would write here and meet people who understand my problems and would like to talk.

Take care all, Tina
Old 03-02-2006, 02:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Tina,

Welcome to SR, its great to see you. I am an Alcoholic/Addict and my experience so far is to work my program always, for me that is reading, meetings every day and staying close to memebers.

Kevin
Old 03-02-2006, 02:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Please consider:

1) www.stresscenter.com for stress, anxiety, and depression. It works!

2) DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE!

Why, oh WHY, do people comment on how tought this is, but won't get out of their heads and work SOME sort of formal program?

Maybe someday, someone will be able to get me to understand why the resistance............

OK, got that off my chest! Now, get off your a$$......LOL! I do.

AA saved my life.

Tom
Old 03-02-2006, 05:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 1_day@_a_time
Please consider:

1) www.stresscenter.com for stress, anxiety, and depression. It works!

2) DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE! DON'T DO THIS ALONE!

Why, oh WHY, do people comment on how tought this is, but won't get out of their heads and work SOME sort of formal program?

Maybe someday, someone will be able to get me to understand why the resistance............

OK, got that off my chest! Now, get off your a$$......LOL! I do.

AA saved my life.

Tom

I think the reason we addicts resist recovery for so, so long is, for most, very hard to explain. But, I know for me, it was because I felt that I had dug myself into such a deep hole in life, that it would be years and years before I dug myself out. I thought that I wouldnt be happy until I had recovered all that I had lost. Health, money, a healthy relationship, all respect I had lost, and self-confidence. Reattaining all that seemed sooo far away. Too much work, with no assurance that it would actually pay off. What I found out though, was as soon as I picked up the phone to get help, I immediately felt happy. My years and years of waiting to be happy, turned into 4 minutes. I was actually doing something positive about getting clean and thats all it took to feel good. That gave me motivation to follow through. Everytime I passed a sobriety milestone, I worked even harder. So, what I think it is for alot of people is that "Wow,...this is going to be alot of work" feeling getting in the way. Kinda like standing at the bottom of that huge mountain wondering "How in the hell am I ever going to climb this thing?"
Old 03-02-2006, 05:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well, yes. it's a simple program, but not easy.

Yes, it's work.

BUT, gotta tell ya', it's not as much work as it was drinking and using. Looking for that next buzz. All day, everyday.........
Old 03-03-2006, 02:05 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Tina

I have only been here a short time too and love it. I can share here, be honest, be cranky, be just ME! I can't do that in my life. I don't have people around me who are addicts but hey, who knows, cause I hide it very well myself.

I can definately relate to you. Keep posting here. I am happy to chat anytime even though I'm in Australia and the time difference. There are no obstacles here.
Best Wishes
Braveheart
Old 03-03-2006, 09:44 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Tina - As has already been mentioned alcohol dependence can become a progressive thing...you already realize it's been an issue for 10 years...I would bet that 10 years ago your behavior with drinking was a lot different than it is today.

I say this out of my own experience and introspections. I too have struggled with alcohol (and depression medicines) for a very long time. True to what a lot of people here have said, laying off the alcohol will have very positive affects on you metal (and physical) health. If your drinking is controllable now, I would encourage you to make it even more controllable by stopping it altogether.

I stopped just 2 days ago (after several failed attempts earlier) and it's amazing how much better I already feel....6-10 beers every afternoon after work began taking their toll and I was tired of feeling 60 at the age of 38.

The people on the SR forums have been a big part of my sticking to my promise. Glad you found us.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:09 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi, Tina! I too am a newbie here so welcome....Don't beat yourself up and kudos to you for being honest with the other members here.There seems to be a really wonderful group od warm and caring people here in this community and everyone has been where you (we are) a slip doesn't mean starting at the bottom gain so get back up on that horse and....gidddeee- up!! take care, Tina
Old 03-03-2006, 10:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hello There, And Welcome!!!! I Am New To This Site As Well But Not Quite As New To Sobriety. I Too Suffer From Both Alcohol/drug Addiction But Also Depression And Social Anxiety, With Just A Touch Of Bipolar Thrown In For Good Measure....even Though I Have Been On Medications For These Conditions, I Feel They Are Actually Brought On By Drinking And Using, To Some Degree. Right Now I Am Being Weaned Off Because Of Poor Liver Function (hep C) But So Far So Good...anyway Hang In There, It Does Get Better
Old 03-03-2006, 11:13 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Very interesting virtually all of you gloss RIGHT OVER the working a formal program stuff.

I drank and used for almost 30 yrs.

I'm lucky to be alive.

SR is a great place, please don't get me wrong.

BUT, what are YOU going to do for YOU? Besides coming here.....
Old 03-03-2006, 11:22 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I Agree With You- 1 Day At A Time-
Talk Sites Are Great, I Do This At Work. However, I Rely Strongly On My Aa Meetings And My Sponsor, They Are Part Of The Reason I Am Still Sober. We "chemically Dependent" People Tend To Isolate, I Know I Do At Times, And Going To A Meeting Is Different Than Talking On A Site. But You Do What You Can And Are Ready To Do, At Least It Is A Start
Old 03-03-2006, 11:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

great Lily! how about the rest of you?
Old 03-03-2006, 12:59 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

SMART Recovery has probably saved my life.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:36 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Great! People posting about working a program!

More!
Old 03-03-2006, 06:26 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Very interesting virtually all of you gloss RIGHT OVER the working a formal program stuff.

I'm lucky to be alive.

What I meant was,......to try to help people understand that the first step ,.....whether its AA,...or a treatment center AND THEN AA, doesnt have to be so scary. I was assuring people that they will probably feel happy the minute they make that phone call to a treatment center or the minute they pull into an AA meetings parking lot.

I am a proud,...so far very successful, member of Alcoholics Anonymous. So, yes, I do work a strong program in my life. And God and it have saved my life.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:31 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I'm lucky to be alive.

Thats great and good for you. I guess people are at different stages.

Kevin
Old 03-03-2006, 07:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

no problem! can see you are on the road earlybird!
Old 03-04-2006, 03:15 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi 1day,
I have just started to realise the extend of my addiction and am dealing with it my way right now. I am going through a bit of denial, strong embarrassment and depression. I can't comment on a working program because I am yet to experience one.
I am just reading alot and learning through SR. I am not saying I won't try a program I just need to do whats right for me. I know AA has helped so many people here and obviously a program that works and thats fabulous but its not required to be mentioned in every post is it? If I wanted to discuss AA all the time I would go on their website. This site seemed friendly and non judgemental which appealed to me.
I don't use SR as a program but as a place I can come to be around people that understand how I feel. I don't have anyone in my life that I can do that with. I don't hang out with people who drink. None of my friends do. I drink alone. So maybe, just letting someone somewhere know about how we are feeling allows us a release and a reality check. I was letting Tina know she was heard and welcomed.
Braveheart
Old 03-04-2006, 07:44 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Braveheart, thanks for the reply.

Glad you shared!

No, AA does not have to be talked about ineach post. I generally say some sort of formal program & encouraged others to share about their program.

I am quite familiar with the emotions you feel. Denial, strong embarrassment and depression.

They are butt kickers!

When I did it "my" way, I suffered. I did not grow. I stayed, isolated, and suffered.

Just my experience.

I have watched people for years and years and years keep relapsing over and over trying it on their own.

Getting people to understand the journey on their own makes it worse is a challenge.

Getting sober, it's hard, challenging, emotional. It's simple, but not easy. We only have to go thru it once, if we want.

We have a choice!

MY hard ass approach pisses some people off. Others get to live.

Wishing YOU the very, very best!

Tom
Old 03-04-2006, 07:57 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is a disease. It kills people.

I have watched numerous people die in recent years.

If you went to the doctor and were told you had say, cancer, and he could treat you, and you had a very good chance of living, you would, no doubt, listen to him and get treatment..........

Why treat alcoholism yourself then?

It's damn serious.

NO reason to be embarressed.

I am really very happy I'm an alcoholic.

I have changed, I have grown. I have tons of sober friends.

I'm better for it. I'm alive.