Notices

feeling intimidated by AA

Old 05-26-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just so you know, this thread is 3 1/2 years old.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
Just so you know, this thread is 3 1/2 years old.
Yeah, but it's relavent to every newcomer. Unless alcoholics have changed dramatically in that time. I don't have lot of interest in giving someone a solution that gets them through that day. I'd much rather pass on a solution that works for a lifetime and transforms their life.

I'll throw out some advice based on my observations and personal experience. When I hit a day where I simply could not go on drinking as I had been, and I couldn't see any way of getting out of where I was, I called a friend in the program and asked for either of 2 phone numbers. In my previous experience with AA (not working steps), I knew that either of these 2 guys knew how to work a solution. I didn't necessarily like either of those guys. They both carried a Big Book with them. And they spoke of being recovered as the result of a spiritual awakening by taking the 12 steps. A number was given and I made a call. That man met me that day and we started working through that book he carried. I recovered as the result of a spiritual awakening by taking the 12 steps. I have sat down and worked with others in the same way and they have recovered. This is, surprising as it may sound, how it works.

Find that person at the next meeting you go to. Not someone who is smooth and says all the 'right' things, but someone who speaks of having recovered by a spiritual awakening. You may have better luck at a closed meeting.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Heathen

delete.. didn't realize how old this was.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Smile

It's an old thread, but everything it says still applies. I was very intimidated by AA at first too. Getting over that feeling helped save my life. Grateful Heart.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

:rotfxko