Notices

Do I have a problem with drinking?/Do I need help?

Old 01-19-2006, 02:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by dreamutopia
It will be very hard, but I'd rather go through some pain now then to be numb my whole life. Thank you all once again for being on this journey with me and trust that I will do the same for you.
Great attitude!

Keep it up!

Excellent!

Cathy31
x
Old 01-19-2006, 11:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

BSPGirl and Cathy: Thanks for your encouragement. I'll continue to find the right program for myself. I have heard of SMART recovery but never really checked it out. Perhaps I will right now.

Lee: I'm doing great today. My friends and I are planning to hit the club tonight and I'm readying myself for temptation and whatnot. After I've come this far, it seems stupid to throw it all away with one night of drinking. Perhaps I'll have a glass of wine spritzer. Let you know what happens!

And I'm loving my 'new' room
Old 01-19-2006, 11:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Dream,
I am also going out tonight for a Mom's Night Out at an Irish Pub to say goodbye to a friend who is moving back to the States. I thought also of the spritzer route, but so far, I am thinking ... am I doing it for me, for them, for the atmosphere....ugh...too much thinking. So far, I'm having club soda with a nice big lemon wedge! I feel too good about what's going on around me and my little journey. I am not ready to experiment whether I can do it or not. If I am unsure about anything, I don't do it. I know tomorrow, I will feel better if I don't, because I know just for today, it aint right!

That is just me. Good luck for you. Thinking of you.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Dream, please keep coming back here. Even if you discover that you are not addicted to anything, this is a good place to be! (And, if you feel the need to ask yourself, "Am I..."....well, chances are, you may be!)
Old 01-20-2006, 01:37 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Do you know what is a really nice (non alc) drink! Lime and Soda lots of ice.

I find with soda water it's so bubbly and bitter you kind of get the sensation that it's a drink-drink, but isn't!

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

WOW I love cleaning too. I feel such solice in a clean space. Unfortunately it doesn't happen very often so my head is always aching. I hope it truly opened up some space in your mind.

A friend of mine once told me something that I completely relate to. If you imagine each thing as a weight attached by a string to you, then imagine cutting some of those strings. You would be able to move easier through life. I try to keep my strings to a minimum, but I know I have more than I need. Hopefully you cut many during your cleaning binge and you feel lighter.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Perhaps I'll have a glass of wine spritzer
Why?

If you choose to have ONE wine spritzer then try to truly feel your emotions. If it makes you crazy to not have another, or if you think you don't have enough of a buzz so you want another, then DON'T have another. I know that sounds crazy. I had ONE drink on Monday and I felt such guilty pleasure but I could feel it grabbing hold. I started planning how much I could have without feeling "drunk" and needing another. So I started chugging water and went for a walk.

I wouldn't recommend it at this point.
Old 01-21-2006, 12:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Thanks again for the encouragement. I had a great night with the girls and I must admit I had more than the wine spritzer I had wanted.

There was free flow of vodka that night for the ladies and my friends were drinking but they have no problem with alcohol. For them, it was just once-in-a-blue-moon sort of thing. After 2 glasses of voda over the span of 2 hours, I felt a bit tipsy. I ACTUALLY felt slightly tipsy for a while. And I didn't go on or accelerate my drinking. In the past, I used to drink much more: about 10 glasses over 1 hour later I would feel the buzz and WANT more. My friend reckons it's the exercise that's got my alcohol tolerance down. Perhaps because vodka was not the choice of poison, and so I did not binge.

Or was it because when I was sitting in the toilet alone I felt so calm. It was as if my 'drinking career' was playing itself in my head and I felt a sense of relief, but also sadness. I realise I am so much better off now not drinking and when I do, I actually don't feel happier. I really don't. It does not help me cope with my problems. I finally realise, and that state of mind I had once loved so much when drunk is not real. It does not exist. All in all, it was a great experience and I found myself dancing away like mad SOBERLY while before I needed to be really drunk before I even wanted to move.

Etimee>the club soda sounds like a good idea. I feel the desire to drink is going away day by day with the help of my friends(those who do not have a problem with drinking) and by hanging out with them it's much easier. Keep up the good work and I agree with you not to experiment til you know you're 100% sure. I took a shot the night before, but honestly, the feeling of WANTING to get drunk was taken over by the great time I was having. Perhaps if we just looked around our surroundings, opened ourselves up to the warmth of other people and concentrated on these positive emotions and we could get 'high' that way instead of needing to rely on a substance..

Valeria>Yes, i would definately come back here! Pls feel free to share your experiences here or direct me to the thread where you might have shared more about yourself.

Cath>U know what? that sounds real yum. Looks like i could alternate your drink with Etimee's club soda!

winelover> I totally understand what you're trying to tell me. The string thing is a good 'exercise', i had some strings I need to cut off and that's a great visualisation for things that weigh us down. I won't say that I have totally found the way around my problem but moderating my drinks works immensely for me because I feel pride in being able to have 1 or 2 and stop there. I don't know when I'll step into a pub next (I have no plans), and I am banning drinking at home, or drinking alone!

Generally, I still feel depressed from time to time but I no longer see alcohol as the solution to my problems. I have gotten a response from my bf, and he is fully supportive of my decision to stop this destructive behavior. And it's great to get so much tips and support from everyone here. I will not be conceited even though I no longer crave or even think of the next drink. I will keep my guard up at all times and avoid people who will bring me down.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:09 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

reading everyone`s posts has given me hope .
Old 12-31-2008, 06:24 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hi Banjismum and welcome to the SR family!

Glad you are here.

Just a gentle reminder that this thread is almost 3 years old. Why don't you post a new thread and introduce yourself.

You will find lots of support and information here.

Make yourself at home!

Last edited by Pelican; 12-31-2008 at 06:42 AM. Reason: typo