Notices

Hands Across Time Zones

Old 02-09-2006, 10:01 AM
  # 661 (permalink)  
Grateful Member!

FOREST HILL HEALTHCARE CENTER
497 MT PROSPECT AVE
NEWARK, NJ 07104

This is where Rae is, she was not moved. She will have a phone line Monday and I am going to try to get a lap top to her. Don't get excited yet HATZer's, it is a relic and I am not sure if this technically challenged double winner can get it back up to speed, but she sure is gonna try! She said the place isn't so bad. She has settled in and I guess it was the initial shock of having to stay for several weeks that had her upset. With all the physical therapy she is getting and going to continue to receive she realizes when she gets home, things will be a lot easier for her. She does call the therapist, Physical Terrorists, LOL. She has a cell phone for now if anyone wants to give her a call, I know she would love to hear from her cyber family. #973-573-3132.
Sorry for the scare WL... looking back I would have taken that the same way... she is well though and I am hoping to get down to see her this weekend.

Just to add to the sneak a drink thread part. Some of us moms used to take wine in sippy cups to the park. Now that is desperation, haven't admitted that outside the cirlce of fellow sippy cup sippers. Oh the lengths that we will go...
Old 02-09-2006, 12:13 PM
  # 662 (permalink)  
Soberus Maxus

raerob
Jersey Girl

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Believe it or not, I'm a "newcomer", too...even after many years of continuous sobriety!

I've only been living in my current neighborhood since last May 1st, and I still feel like a stranger (even though several of my neighbors have been friendly).

I'm new to this website, (even though I've managed another chatroom since 9/11) and I have made a very few good friends there.

I also recently started a new chatroom called The Friends of Bill W, and I'm the only registered member. PLEASE come and visit me...it's getting mighty lonely there. www.p104.ezboard.com/bbillwsfriends

Today is my Sobriety Anniversary, and I count it from November 15, 1979...but it's still A Day At A Time Remember:

YESTERDAY is history...TOMORROW is a mystery...TODAY is a gift...that's why it's called THE PRESENT!

One of Rae's first posts from the recovery birthday sticky!!
Such words of wisdom from a Young Sober Gal.
We Need Rae!!!!
Max
Old 02-09-2006, 02:43 PM
  # 663 (permalink)  

Lol..Paula,

you reminded me of the times I brought wine in a thermos to the movies! Really good wine, it tasted yukky in a thermos...but that never hindered my drinking.

Funny. I could never remember what I saw.

Sobriety improves everything
Old 02-09-2006, 03:38 PM
  # 664 (permalink)  
Soberus Maxus

Ok maybe Im stretching the words of wisdom thing. I just want her back now.
Mr Scott Im sending you a tricorder message are you in range? If your to far out I will have to beem you back up.
Max
Old 02-10-2006, 12:08 PM
  # 665 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ok....i

just called Rae at 2 p.m. Friday Eastern Time Zone ISA

She asked me to tell you guys and gals that

Max...."a slip is what women wear under dresses. Behave!"

And

"I’m in good shape for the shape I"m in"

She is missing everyone and appreciates your concern and
prayers.

We had a few giggles and she does sound positive.

Why not send her a card?
I just bet that would cher Rae up.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:24 PM
  # 666 (permalink)  
Soberus Maxus

I am feelling a little frisky lately. If I was a bad boy Im sorry.
Max
Old 02-10-2006, 01:10 PM
  # 667 (permalink)  

Being new to this thread, I do not know Rae, but from all the messages, I have clearly missed getting to know a great person; I hope she will be back soon...

Gianna
Old 02-10-2006, 01:22 PM
  # 668 (permalink)  

WOW! Thanks for letting us know Carol!

Give her our love

HUGX
Lee
Old 02-10-2006, 01:54 PM
  # 669 (permalink)  
Grateful Member!

So glad you called her Carol... I know she was tickled to hear from more of her cyber family!
Old 02-10-2006, 03:36 PM
  # 670 (permalink)  
Soberus Maxus

Oh Carol, I was worried about some things I said. Im a little slow on the uptake.
The slip thing right. I get it. Im over that I was mad at myself but now Im proud to have rebounded. Im actually quite surprised. But it is her fault Im sober when I do meet her Im gona squeeze her good. See I forgot all about it. Glad shes got a good memory to keep me honest.
Scotty where the heck are ya. Come on guys keep the love alive.
Dont make me write a poem!!!!!
Thanks Carol.
Max
Old 02-10-2006, 03:56 PM
  # 671 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Thanks Carol, great to know, if you phone again please send her my Love.

Kevin
Old 02-10-2006, 04:15 PM
  # 672 (permalink)  

Over two months without a drink!!

Originally Posted by Max Oblivia
Oh Carol, I was worried about some things I said. Im a little slow on the uptake.
The slip thing right. I get it. Im over that I was mad at myself but now Im proud to have rebounded. Im actually quite surprised. But it is her fault Im sober when I do meet her Im gona squeeze her good. See I forgot all about it. Glad shes got a good memory to keep me honest.
Scotty where the heck are ya. Come on guys keep the love alive.
Dont make me write a poem!!!!!
Thanks Carol.
Max
Hello all,

I'm so glad that Rae is at least "moving on" in that she's out of the hospital. I hope she's home soon. Get better girl (P.S., I love the line "I'm in good shape for the shape I'm in." I'll remember that one).

Well, it's been a very busy week. I started on Monday by going to the doctor again. The visit was mandated as a condition of my new job. I first joined this forum when I had to get a physical for this potential new job (at that time). I had been having abdominal pains on my right side and I instinctively knew it was due to drinking. Anyway, I admitted my drinking that night to the doc, stopped drinking, and wrote my first post here. My blood tests came back the next day and they were through the roof indicating liver disfunction. Well, on Wednesday I got the new results and all my tests were all in the normal range!!!

On Monday afternoon I went apartment hunting with a friend who is fluent in Japanese (mine is so-so to say the least). We looked at about 6 apartments and I found one I'm going to rent. It's going to cost me more than 5 months rent to move in, but it's the nicest apartment I've had in Japan. Luckily, I've been saving my coins over the last three years and I've saved enough to cover the move-in costs (there's a 500 yen coin which is worth about $4.50 US and it can add up).

On Tuesday, I was still looking at apartments and experienced some blatent racism. I was denied being able to see an apartment because the landlord doesn't rent to foreigners. I was supremely ticked, but not much I could do, as it's not illegal.

Wednesday was exactly two months without a drink. I can't believe what the last two months has given me. Now if I get up at 8:30, I'm sleeping in. LOL!!! Today I got up without an alarm clock at 8 O'clock--and it's a Saturday. WOOT!! (I went to bed at 1:30).

Thursday and Friday I spent getting the wheels moving on renting the apartment, as well as completing a growing mountain of work as I finish up my current job. I even have the privilege of finding and recommending my replacemnt.

Last night I thought a co-worker and I were taking some other co-workers out to dinner. Well, I soon found out I was being taken out to dinner as a going away party!! It was really nice. They kinda tortured me unknowingly as the restaurant specialized in Belgian beers (the best in the world). I'll admit I did miss the flavor of the Belgian beers, but I didn't need the alcohol effect. Anywho, I had my fair share of those in the past, so it was iced tea for me last night!

I glad to see the new faces here. Welcome.

Take care all.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:17 PM
  # 673 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nogard
All well here looks like I will be working again soon, plenty of working being offered and I have two interviews.

Hugs from me

Kevin
So, any updates? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Let us know.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:09 AM
  # 674 (permalink)  
Grateful Member!

Great news on all fronts Scotty, a great new apartment, a new lease on your liver, 2 months sober and strength in the face of temptation! Way proud of you!
Old 02-11-2006, 08:10 AM
  # 675 (permalink)  
Grateful Member!

Max--- POEM, POEM, POEM!
Old 02-11-2006, 09:04 AM
  # 676 (permalink)  
Little Girl Found

Good (almost) afternoon everyone! And, thanks for welcoming me to this thread--like 3 days ago. It's kind of a bummer when you don't have your own computer at your disposal. I love keeping up with "my threads" and it's hard when you can't check them on a daily basis.

Glad to hear Rae's been moved to "a better place". Someone mentioned how that sounded funny at first, and I thought the exact same thing--Heaven!

Anyways--I've been sick too. I've had this sore throat for almost a week--which is very unusual for me. Nothing else is accompanying it so I don't know what to make of it. It's been really bad in the mornings when I wake up--really hard to swallow. Hopefully it will go away soon--it's more annoying than anything.

I just wanted to add on to the discussion about how we watch other people and their drinking habits. I work at a server--it's in a restaurant that serves liquor and it has a bar and everything, and since I've been working there I would say about 15% of the people I wait on order an alcoholic beverage...and out of those 15%--only a couple order more than one. So, yeah--being an alcoholic--I definitely pay attention to that type of stuff--and it truly amazes me to witness how a "normal" drinker drinks. I know that it's been said that it seems like everyone in the world drinks when we stop--but it's so not true. The majority of the population doesn't. It just seems like it does--because we hung out with people that would usually drink like us. It's definitely the minority!

Anyways--hope everyone is doing well. I'm glad the sun is shining--even though it's pretty frigid here. Can't wait till Spring and for this sore throat to take a hike!

Love,
Danielle
Old 02-11-2006, 10:33 AM
  # 677 (permalink)  
Grateful Member!

Originally Posted by squirrelly77

Glad to hear Rae's been moved to "a better place". Someone mentioned how that sounded funny at first, and I thought the exact same thing--Heaven!
Good morning, afternoon and good night dear HATZer's. Just got off the phone with Rae, boy did we have a good laugh over that 77, we laughed for a good 5 minutes. And she said, "she is in a better place, she is just happy it is around the corner from the other place."

Scotty -- Rae says she is happy you are going to a better place too!

We will be talking again today to set up a time to pass off this ole laptop of mine... and she has a techy who can get her up to speed... here's hoping she's back online by mid next week!

Feel better Danielle!
Old 02-12-2006, 03:26 AM
  # 678 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone - it's 1:34pm here on Sunday. I am wondering how my old stomping grounds of NYC is doing with the snow? I hope all of you in on the East Coast of the US are safe and warm.

All is well here. Getting over a nasty cold and still ever thankful to be waking up feeling like **** this way than the old way!!!!!

Have a good Sunday all!

Etimee
Old 02-12-2006, 04:13 AM
  # 679 (permalink)  
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Glad to hear ((Rae)) is doing well!! Big hugs!! Thanks for the update Carol!!

((Scotty)) Congratulations on your 2 months!! That's fantastic!! Hope you enjoy your new place.

((Max)) Glad you are back on the wagon!! It beats being under it, or pulled behind it!!
Old 02-12-2006, 06:10 AM
  # 680 (permalink)  
Grateful Member!

Eti, Glad you're getting better. Here in NJ, about 20 miles west of NYC. We are blanketed with almost 2 feet of snow. My darling husband is blowing us out now, thankful we have a monster snow blower or he would be out there all day. It is exciting for the boys they can't wait to get out there. Which will last all of a 1/2 hour and then it will be back inside for HA Cogo, as my Griffin says! Loving that the snow is Sunday instead of Monday. So much to be grateful for...

WL, how are things, I haven't seen you in a while. Hope all is good.