Notices

Newbie, made the 1st 72hrs-Thanks!

Old 01-08-2006, 12:05 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Pocket and Max....

Do come over to our forum Alcoholism.

We have it chocked full of personal tips and info.

Sticky 1 is on Quitting

Sticky 4 has links to Alternatives...

Time to branch out....
Old 01-08-2006, 12:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Pocket and welcome! Congrats to you. All's I can say is yes the emotions will come, yes, you'll be up and down, sad, and happy, crying and laughing..it's quite a rollercoaster ride for sure. But knowing it's normal, is to be excpected, and your not loosing your mind is hopefully some consolation to you knowing it's part of the process as well as your progress. You'll be okay, you'll survive it and we'll be here to help.
Old 01-08-2006, 12:40 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Pocket)))

Welcome to SR. I'm glad you found your way here. Great place it is here.

Making it through the first few days of detox can be a nightmare. Ugh....don't want to do that ever again. You will find sleep again. Hang in there.

I found sobriety through AA. I don't know much about the alternative programs. I would suggest that you find some program and work it. White knuckle sobriety isn't the answer. There is a solution. You just need to find what works for you.

I may add that many alcoholics are anti social and don't like gatherings. You won't be alone in that respect in AA. If you really want sobriey, you should be able to get past that obstacle.

Don't make failing an issue before you have even begun your recovery. Many of us fail and make it back up again, many times stronger for it. In reality, with sobriety there may come relapse. Not condoning or suggesting, it just is a possibility.

My point is that I too thought I would never be able to get sober. I was wrong. With hard work and the desire for sobriety, you can achieve it. It just takes time and effort. I didn't know how to get and stay sober on my own. AA showed me how to do that. It is a program of progress not perfection. Live and learn.

I wish you luck.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
raerob

Welcome to SR, Pocket!

if you keep doing what you're doing, things will only get better!
Don't want to "rain on your parade"; but, I must tell it like it is!!! "Things" may not get better...actually, sometimes "things" even tend to get worse at times. The difference is...and this is very important...YOU will get better, and better able to handle anything life throws at you (without ducking into a bottle of booze or pills)!

What a challenge...to live life on life's terms!!! You, and Max, and anyone else newly clean and sober, have taken up the gauntlet of sobriety...hang on to it as though your very existence depends on it (for, indeed, it may very well). Nurture and guard it, so that you may then pass it on to the newbie with just one or two days without a drink and/or drug.

Hope everyone has been having a good, sober Sunday!

Old 01-08-2006, 06:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congrats on your clean anytime, any amount of clean time for an addict is a miracle!!! Keep on Keeping on!!
Old 01-23-2006, 09:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Life is what you make it!

Originally Posted by raerob
Welcome to SR, Pocket!

Don't want to "rain on your parade"; but, I must tell it like it is!!! "Things" may not get better...actually, sometimes "things" even tend to get worse at times. The difference is...and this is very important...YOU will get better, and better able to handle anything life throws at you (without ducking into a bottle of booze or pills)!

What a challenge...to live life on life's terms!!! You, and Max, and anyone else newly clean and sober, have taken up the gauntlet of sobriety...hang on to it as though your very existence depends on it (for, indeed, it may very well). Nurture and guard it, so that you may then pass it on to the newbie with just one or two days without a drink and/or drug.

Hope everyone has been having a good, sober Sunday!
Just came back to check to see how pocket was doing and found this little "stab" at me, about when I said things will only get better if you keep doing what you're doing....Geez....I can't think of a single thing in my life that hasn't improved since I've been sober. That's what I meant. Begin with not drinking....and everything else eventually will fall into place. Of course unpleasant things will still happen but they will be much easier to handle with a clean mind. Now if you wanna kick me when I'm down, without even knowing me...more power to ya! I guess my opinion shouldn't matter since I'm only 78 days sober.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:40 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

(((Dakota)))
Your post was very helpful and rang true for me...every single thing has improved, even when they haven't it's still an improvement if you know what I mean !
78 days is just too wonderful for words...and your opinion DOES matter!
Sometimes things just come out wrong here in cyberspace!
Keep posting, and congrats on your clean time, it is just wonderful!
Cathy31
x
Old 01-23-2006, 09:51 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks Cathy! I needed that. I guess it just hurts when you think you're being helpfull and ya get a slap in the face. I know I've deserved it a few times...but I don't think this time was appropriate. Sometimes I try to reply to the new people right away, because when I first got sober I could relate to the people with less sobriety than someone with more. But again....that's just me. I'll leave it up to the "OLDTIMERS" from now on. Have a great day....and thanks again for YOUR support
Old 01-23-2006, 02:10 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Morning all!

It is an awesome thing to see all the " newbies" enjoying their sobriety, and so enthusiastic !

What a great job you are all doing ! it doesn't matter HOW you are doing it , just do it .

There was nothing at all wrong with your post dakota, 78 days is awesome in anyones book! Fantastic ! btw , altho I am an AA person, I am very interested in reading the book you mentioned, and think I will order it !

CONGRATS to you all, maximus, Pocket , Dakota, Prof et al

HUGE HUGX
Lee
Old 01-24-2006, 08:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks Justme57! I've read ALOT of your posts and have learned ALOT from you! You have been an inspiration to me since I started visiting this site!
The book "Sober for Good" is a great book for anyone who has issues with alcohol. It's not just about alternatives to AA...but also some very inspiring stories about AA. I liked it so much I've read it a couple times. I highlighted the parts that hit home with me...so when I'm having one of my "not so strong" days, I can flip through and reenforce the rewards of my sobriety....and also be reminded that I NEVER want to live that way again. Thanks again....and I look forwrd to reading your posts!
Have a great sober 24! dakota
Old 01-24-2006, 08:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Soberus Maxus

Morning Dakota I think you started a good point and a good discussion. Although everything for me has gotten better. Everything has also got worse. What I used to cover up is now in plain sight and I have to deal with it. I have to fight daily to stay sober and before I could just give in at 5:00 and drink myself to OBLIVIA. Its a whole new world that for 25 years I have not had to deal with. There are so many positives and everything truly is better but I was in a drunk comfort zone and perfectly happy to live in it for the rest of my life. Problem was I didnt know how long my life would live.
Everthing is worse now yet so much better. I use my worse part as fuel for my sober engine. I now see the worse parts for what they are and I have to deal with them. I must deal with them they have always been there I just covered them up.
I know if I keep doing what I am doing It will get better to see that for what "IT" is and recognize the worse part for what it is, "IT" is not a "stab" at me its the reality of my situation.
I will use the "reality of my situation for fuel and the pain as motivation for my quest"
Max the Sober One
Old 01-24-2006, 11:32 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
raerob

Just came back to check to see how pocket was doing and found this little "stab" at me, about when I said things will only get better if you keep doing what you're doing....Geez....I can't think of a single thing in my life that hasn't improved since I've been sober. That's what I meant. Begin with not drinking....and everything else eventually will fall into place. Of course unpleasant things will still happen but they will be much easier to handle with a clean mind. Now if you wanna kick me when I'm down, without even knowing me...more power to ya! I guess my opinion shouldn't matter since I'm only 78 days sober.
Dakota...I don't know how you could have interpreted my comments to Pocket as a "stab" or "slap in the face" to you. As a matter of fact, your statement of
Of course unpleasant things will still happen but they will be much easier to handle with a clean mind.
is pretty much what I said...just a little differently.
If I wanted to take a comment personally, I might have with your
when I first got sober I could relate to the people with less sobriety than someone with more. But again....that's just me. I'll leave it up to the "OLDTIMERS" from now on.
I think it's important to remember we are all here to reach out to each other, newcomers, oldtimers, and everyone in between...one day sober or 1000 + 1 day sober...the goal is the same!
Max reminded me of something...when I was in very early recovery, someone said, "It will get better...and the IT would be me."

Old 01-24-2006, 12:42 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good Morning ! Max, Pocket and dakotoa ! btw where's Pocket ? Yuuuuuuuuu Huuuuuuuu Pocket ?

Thank you for your kind post Dakota, I have been coming to SR for 27 months, and I am only just feeling that I have something to share. So it is wonderful to know I am of some help! LOL
There are a few good books around , Dak, " Under The Influence " , " Living Sober", and "Drinking ....A love Story" Some of them have AA influence, but all are good , and gave me great insight into my Alcoholism! You are doing a terrific job !

And Mr maximus, Sir , you too are amazing ! What you say about " the stuff" still being there , is so true but it is so much easier to deal with, and see clearly, when sober , doncha think? Actually , I found it quite exciting to try new approaches to previous c-rap, and to find they worked ! LOL. For me, it has been like untangling a fishing line, a bit here and a bit there, and eventually the knots will be out . Dont overburden your little self with all the c-rap at once !

Pocket ...How you doing there ? Drop a post and let us know how you are

Rae .good morning to you ...........you "oldtimer" you LOL

HUGX
Lee
Old 01-24-2006, 03:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
raerob

Rae .good morning to you ...........you "oldtimer" you LOL
Believe me, Lee...I've been called worse things (even in sobriety). Gotta have a sense of humor, you know!

Old 01-26-2006, 07:54 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

RAEROB....I am truely for my previous posts. Please accept my appology...I will think before I speak (or type) from now on. I am truely sorry, I know we are all here for the same reason. Have a nice day. dakota
Old 01-26-2006, 01:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Dear Pocket and Max,
You give me hope. Reading this forum really gives me hope. For me one day clean is the one I can't seem to get.
But I'm really encouraged by ya'lls days. Because from where I'm sitting those are the true miracle.
I've stayed so high these last few months, and the second I start to come down I want to cry. But I'm afraid if I start I'll never stop. So... I don't cry, Or I stop it.
I've also had many loses. I have no idea what the answers are, but I'm encouraged at this moment.
One day is a precious thing. And when you string a few together, man... that's the beginning of a million possibilities.
C