Notices

I can't talk to anyone I know about this

Old 12-26-2005, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I can't talk to anyone I know about this

So I figured I'd start here.

First, I don't think it's THAT serious, I mean, it has screwed up my life with two DUI's at .08 and .09. I'm in my mid 20's and I don't have kids, I don't get violent or anything I'm just concerned where this is all going. I feel like I can't talk to my friends or family about it cause I guess I'm not used to asking for help about things I feel I should be able to control. When I go to AA, I have a hard time identifying with the people I meet. It just seems like I don't deserve to talk about my growing concern when everybody else seems to have "real" problems and mine seem to pale in comparison. I don't really know what the plan is so I figure I'd ask for your thoughts. I'm not going to rehab until this gets worse or I've tried everything else first, and even then.

My drinking habits are pretty bad, IMO (I suppose it's all relative, right), when I'm on vacation. During the work week, not so much, but I can generally do a 750 of vodka over 24 hours at times like this, vacation time. I'm sure you hear this all the time but I really don't get "drunk" but the problem is that the next day I start to feel withdrawal symptoms which I can cure with a drink and the cycle seems to repeat itself.

I'm ready to put in some effort so I figured I would get this book,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/031...books&v=glance
Anybody read it? Not exactly a recovery book but I thought it might provide some perspective.

I'm open to personal questions or suggestions, thank you for your time.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Congratulations for seeking answers to your drinking.

No I have not read the book.

Alcoholism is a disease. I suggest you get more factual info

My favorite 'handbook' is "Under The Influence"
and it has a sequel..."Beyond The Influence"

Both can be ordered from Amazon...less than I spent on a nights drinking!

Glad to see a new member...we do understand and you are not alone. Blessings...
Old 12-26-2005, 06:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Just wanted to drop by and welcome you to SR and we are glad that you are here. You know there is a part in the AA 12 X 12 where it talks about bottoms I think it is in Step One where they raised the bottom for people who haven't lost everything. That also might help you. I am sending good thoughts to you and your children. Hope that you had a good Christmas and may you New Years be filled with love.

Love Vic
Old 12-26-2005, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

I guess if you would like to read the story of another drunk and his escapades at drinking and quitting it would be a good read for you. If you want to learn about the disease then the books Carol suggested would be more up your alley. If your wanting to read about another drunk/addicts story I'd suggest " A Million Little Pieces"... maybe if you told us what your hoping for we can better guide you.

As for going to AA you have every right to be there and your only there for you. Not to tell a fabulous tale using enlightening jargon, in hope of a few giggles (see been there tried that to). It's for YOU. Try going again using that perspective and see what happens. Or if you still not comfortable try another meeting somewhere else. You as an newcomer will help the oldtimers more then you know. We're glad your here!
Old 12-26-2005, 07:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello,

First, I can only offer a newbie's perspective on being sober. Last night was my 19th night without a drink. I haven't had withdrawl and I haven't really been craving drink, so I guess I'm lucky. Like you, I could put away a good bit of vodka in a 24 hour period (which considering that in my current job I get 5 months vacation was pretty dangerous). But in the last 3 weeks, I've had 3 blood tests and two ultra-sounds on my liver. I have a sever fatty liver. Luckily my blood tests have improved significantly from my first test, so I'm feeling good about life now.

Anyway, I want to say that I admire your being able to recognize your problem at a young age, hopefully before you start to permanently harm your health. As for AA, I wouldn't go myself, but that's for personal reasons, not because I don't believe it works. If it helps you, use it! I would say to them what you just wrote--be honest. Explain that, in a way, you feel fortunate that your problems don't seem as deep as others', but that you still have problems. I would give long odds the people would not only be sympathetic/empathetic, but that they would encourage you to say whatever you need to say. Be assured, what you today call a "growing concern" will turn into a "concern" and then worse unless you address it head on ASAP.

You can do it. Stay strong and keep posting.

Take care
Old 12-26-2005, 07:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome to SR
I'm not going to rehab until this gets worse or I've tried everything else first, and even then.
When enough becomes enough....

When you go to AA listen to what those who have reached that point have to say. Every one of them would tell you the same if asked... If you knew then, what you know now... when would you have stopped the drinking?

Alcohol intake is progressive. You will catch up to others fast enough. Your enough becomeing enough can be a hard price to pay.
Think on things.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I’m looking at five sensitive post right now and I can’t tell you how greatful I feel that I got even one response in such a short period.

<o:p> </o:p>

Originally Posted by CarolD
Welcome...<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:11.25pt; height:11.25pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Michael\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip _image001.gif" o:href="http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/images/smilies/approve.gif"/> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->

Congratulations for seeking answers to your drinking.

No I have not read the book.

Alcoholism is a disease. I suggest you get more factual info

My favorite 'handbook' is "Under The Influence"
and it has a sequel..."Beyond The Influence"

Both can be ordered from Amazon...less than I spent on a nights drinking!

Glad to see a new member...we do understand and you are not alone. Blessings...

Thank all of you for your time. J I hear the book (dry) is really good/funny and I’m looking forward to reading as much as I can during the process, just ordered the first book you suggested by Mr. James Milam and Katherine Ketcham. And as someone else suggested, “A million little pieces” J

Originally Posted by luckyv2
Just wanted to drop by and welcome you to SR and we are glad that you are here. You know there is a part in the AA 12 X 12 where it talks about bottoms I think it is in Step One where they raised the bottom for people who haven't lost everything. That also might help you. I am sending good thoughts to you and your children. Hope that you had a good Christmas and may you New Years be filled with love.

Love Vic

Thank you!

I’m not familiar with the AA 12x12 but I assume that you mean the 12 steps. I felt like I reached the bottom when I “HAD” to have a drink to make me feel okay, can’t stand to think it can go much further. Heh, BTW, I noted that I don’t have kids but I appreciate it anyway. J Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas!

Originally Posted by Chy
maybe if you told us what your hoping for we can better guide you.

As for going to AA you have every right to be there and your only there for you. Not to tell a fabulous tale using enlightening jargon, in hope of a few giggles (see been there tried that to). It's for YOU. Try going again using that perspective and see what happens. Or if you still not comfortable try another meeting somewhere else. You as an newcomer will help the oldtimers more then you know. We're glad your here!

Hey, thanks man! I ordered the book on your recommendation. J I’m not so sure I’m going to go back to the AA meetings, frankly, I’ve learned more in five posts than I have from all the meetings I’ve been to so far. :P Thanks again.

Originally Posted by BeamMeUpScotty
Hello,

First, I can only offer a newbie's perspective on being sober. Last night was my 19th night without a drink. I haven't had withdrawl and I haven't really been craving drink, so I guess I'm lucky. Like you, I could put away a good bit of vodka in a 24 hour period (which considering that in my current job I get 5 months vacation was pretty dangerous). But in the last 3 weeks, I've had 3 blood tests and two ultra-sounds on my liver. I have a sever fatty liver. Luckily my blood tests have improved significantly from my first test, so I'm feeling good about life now.

Anyway, I want to say that I admire your being able to recognize your problem at a young age, hopefully before you start to permanently harm your health. As for AA, I wouldn't go myself, but that's for personal reasons, not because I don't believe it works. If it helps you, use it! I would say to them what you just wrote--be honest. Explain that, in a way, you feel fortunate that your problems don't seem as deep as others', but that you still have problems. I would give long odds the people would not only be sympathetic/empathetic, but that they would encourage you to say whatever you need to say. Be assured, what you today call a "growing concern" will turn into a "concern" and then worse unless you address it head on ASAP.

You can do it. Stay strong and keep posting.

Take care

Congrats on the first 19 days! I quit drinking for four months last year and it was great, for me about two weeks 90% of the battle was won! Never had a problem quitting, mostly the restarting has been an issue. “Hey, I’m not an alcoholic, I just quit for four months!” attitude pretty much describes the backward logic that allowed me to slowly return to where I am now. As for everything else, I feel we are on the exact same page so I’ll give you a piece of advice from my old sober self, it’s not so much about quitting, in fact, I remember after the most productive four months of my life drinking my first beer and thinking, I don’t even crave it and I doubt I’ll ever go back. Famous last words, ehh? So, if you are like me, it ain’t about quitting, it’s about remember what it’s like to be quit and staying that way, at least for me. Follow that advice and you’ll never…. Errr, uhhh, nevermind. Ohh, what the heck do I know?

Originally Posted by best
Welcome to SR

When enough becomes enough....

When you go to AA listen to what those who have reached that point have to say. Every one of them would tell you the same if asked... If you knew then, what you know now... when would you have stopped the drinking?

Alcohol intake is progressive. You will catch up to others fast enough. Your enough becomeing enough can be a hard price to pay.
Think on things.
Honestly, there is a side of me which is still attached to the idea that I can keep drinking in moderation. The other side asks why, when I know how good it was to be sober for as long as I was. I agree, alcohol intake is progressive which is exactly why I’m here and you’re exactly right, I don’t want to have to pay more than I already have financially or health wise. I’m making light of what your saying right now but what brought me here is exactly that and when I started writing this post last night I admit that I did so cause I’m scared to death on some reasonable level.

With that said, I’m not one for tears but when I had seen these posts after I got home from dinner with friends and family, my eyes welled up. Don’t pin any hopes on me cause honestly I’m not sure I’m going to make it but I appreciate all your time and I promise to try my best. -Michael
Old 12-27-2005, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by merovingian
Don’t pin any hopes on me cause honestly I’m not sure I’m going to make it but I appreciate all your time and I promise to try my best. -Michael
I will pin plenty of hope on you.

I have been able to get through it, you will as well.
Every day of the year, people find a way out of the madness that alcohol brings to the mind and life.
Your not alone, your not the first, those who have found the way out are your proof... YOU can do it. I believe in you.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Welcome! It may seem like the others in AA have worse problems than you and maybe their problems are worse. You may wonder how it all relates to you and your problem. I look at it like these people with problems worse than mine could be showing me a glimps of my future if I let my disease continue unarrested. Also I look at the people who seem better off than me happy in their soberity and know that they show me a mirror of what I could have too...
Old 12-27-2005, 09:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Chy

Oh I'm not giving up that easy Michael. I'll continue to have hope and faith for you until your ready to take on that load yourself k?

I know that mind game we play with ourselves, I'm ready, I'm not ready, I'm not that bad, I can moderate, I went a few days, I'm able to control it when and if I want.... said all those things to myself to for many years. I feared sobriety Michael was truly scared and terrified of a life without alcohol, fact is more people don't drink then drink like we do and I've fit in quite well I think. Once your ready to make the committment to yourself you'll slowly find new avenues of entertaining yourself without the crutch. You don't have to make any life altering decisions today, just know we've all had similar thinking and we'll be here for you along the way whether ready or not! *hugs*
Old 12-27-2005, 12:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Michael!

I just wanted to thank you for this thread. What you're feeling is very similar to what I am feeling lately. Today is day 82 for me, and I just really REALLY needed to read this.

That's what I love about recovery.......just when I feel like I'm "different" or I "don't quite fit in".......I find someone out there going through what I am going through!! It reminds me that some of my circumstances may differ, my life may differ, but bottom line remains the same across the board.......I am an alcoholic and I have a lot more in common with other alcoholics than I think. I just need to actually HEAR what they have to say.

Take care, keep posting.....maybe go to some more AA meetings.......but just know that now you've got ANOTHER person who will "pin" hope on you. After all, you're worth it!!
Old 12-27-2005, 12:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Part of my story Michael....

I fled from my 1<SUP>st</SUP> meeting in horror,..
"OMG..who are these weirdos? I am not this sick!!"

2/3 years later I returned...I was now defeated.
"Hello...I am a drunk and I need help."

And those weird people were there to guide me.

All I remember for several months was a banner over the door
"Keep Coming Back It Works"

I did and it has.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Carol!!!

My first meeting FREAKED ME OUT!!! I walked into a room full of people (mostly MEN) who looked like they could NO WAY have anything in common with me. I mean geeze........I was a fairly newly divorced single mom who, until less than a year earlier, was a stay at home mom who sold Tupperware!!! HA.......well, was I ever surprised when I heard what they had to say!! No lie......I left that meeting in utter amazement at the similarities!!

Anyway, I too "keep coming back" and it's working thus far!
Old 12-27-2005, 01:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh! Skinner ! You just reminded me ! I used to be a VERY good Tupperware customer when wine was served at Tupperware parties, trouble was, I forgot I had ordered anything, and unidentified unremwembered packages were often delivered to my door I would , of course, not let on that I had forgotten ordering them, but was often surprised when I opened the box LOL

HUGX
Lee
Old 12-27-2005, 01:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ohhhhhhh Justme.........this is gonna sound WAY bad, but I LOVED customers like you!!! I did lots of theme parties......one favorite was the "Margarita Madness" party......anyway, I soooooooo loved the HUGE orders made by the drunk folks!!
Yep, I'm going to the hot place for sure!!
Old 12-27-2005, 01:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, Michael, and Welcome!

Hope you keep getting the help you need.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ASH

...I’m making light of what your saying right now but what brought me here is exactly that and when I started writing this post last night I admit that I did so cause I’m scared to death on some reasonable level.

Don’t pin any hopes on me cause honestly I’m not sure I’m going to make it but I appreciate all your time and I promise to try my best. -Michael
Hi Michael,
Glad your here, sounds like you still have lots of good going for you so you just gotta pin some hope on yourself!

Two DUIs seem like a good warning sign....getting arrested and going to jail, having to call someone to get you out, then and all the classes and working on the road gang and being embarrassed and lying to people about were you were for the weekend, and hoping no one would see you picking up papers on the road, and then.... doing it AGAIN?

You are very right to be scared deep down, drinking scared me AND made me scary. Be smart, quit while your ahead, you will enjoy life much more sober.

Keep coming here and reading and posting its a great start,
Take Care
Old 12-27-2005, 03:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats on the first 19 days! I quit drinking for four months last year and it was great, for me about two weeks 90% of the battle was won! Never had a problem quitting, mostly the restarting has been an issue. “Hey, I’m not an alcoholic, I just quit for four months!” attitude pretty much describes the backward logic that allowed me to slowly return to where I am now. As for everything else, I feel we are on the exact same page so I’ll give you a piece of advice from my old sober self, it’s not so much about quitting, in fact, I remember after the most productive four months of my life drinking my first beer and thinking, I don’t even crave it and I doubt I’ll ever go back. Famous last words, ehh? So, if you are like me, it ain’t about quitting, it’s about remember what it’s like to be quit and staying that way, at least for me. Follow that advice and you’ll never…. Errr, uhhh, nevermind. Ohh, what the heck do I know?
It's funny, but for years I wanted to quit drinking. I don't know how many times I wrote it on my "to do" list (how stupid is that? ). I often joked to myself in my mind that I didn't have a drinking problem, but I did have a stopping problem--drinking came as easily as falling off a log. Each day my sobriety becomes more valuable to me, so I'm hoping that will become stronger and guide me decades into the future. Still, I'll just take it a day at the time.

What the heck do you know? IMHO, a lot more than you are giving yourself credit for. I knew/know a lot about my problems, it was getting the courage to admit them publicly, confronting them, and starting to work to resolve them that has been the big step for me.

You seem to be very intelligent, so I feel confident you'll take the right choices.

Keep strong and take care. (I won't say "good luck" because I don't think any of us should leave our recovery to a capricious wind, so to speak--it's our own responsibility).
Old 12-28-2005, 11:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Hi there, Michael!

So glad you're here! So much great experience, strength, and hope has already been shared to you, but I thought I'd step in real quick and let you know I'm an opiate addict, and I also read the book, "Dry" and I just loved it! I'm sure you will, too. (I think I even posted about it somewhere here.) That book, in addition to some AA workbooks and the other books that have been suggested for your recovery, will provide you excellent guidance in your quest for sobriety. Sounds like you're doing great so far, by discovering you're drinking too much, and reaching out for help. You're well on your way!

Please keep coming back and post your progress, k? Also, AA meetings are extremely valuable. Like others have said, look for the similarities (and oh boy, are they there) not so much the differences. Since going to NA meetings for seven months now, I have the most eclectic group of dear, dear friends ever! I'm blessed. You are, too.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Micheal,

Welcome to SR, lots of great advice and support here, hang on tight.

Kevin