Notices

So...this is me.

Old 12-20-2005, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Finding my way

So...this is me.

Hi all.

I'm new here, and felt I needed to make this post - mostly for my own sanity! I'm addicted to drugs. There. I said it. For the first time. I have a problem with both drugs and self-injury. In fact, they seem to somehow compliment each other quite well. I realise now, the danger that I put myself in evey day, and the effect all of this is having on me. I can go for a couple of days without drugs, but I always seem to come back to them. I don't know if this is because I'm making excuses, or just because I feel 'weak' when coping with withdrawals. I do need help, and I want it. It's just so damn difficult! I guess I'm just here looking for support in fighting these addictions so I can get my life back on track. I was hoping somebody could suggest a couple of ways to just 'get started' on giving up? So far, nothing seems to work. I am glad that I found this place - I was indeed beginning to think I was alone.

Love,
Arianwen
Old 12-20-2005, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

(((Arianwen)))

Welcome I am so glad you made here. Please keep posting. I am a recovering alcoholic,meth addict. I have been clean for 20 years. If I can do it so can you...
Old 12-20-2005, 12:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

So far, nothing seems to work.
Welcome!

What have you tried? A Higher Power, steps and meetings work for me.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 12-20-2005, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Arian,

Welcome and I'm glad you found us. You can get and stay sober and we're here to help offer support. Take a look around the boards and you'll find lots of inspiration.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Welcome!
We are here for you and you are not alone...keep reading and posting...I could really relate to your post..I am an alcoholic and by the time I found this site I had started to really scare myself with how I was endangering myself!
Keep reading and posting!
Cathy31
x
Old 12-20-2005, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. This Is A Great Place To Be. Best Of Luck To You. Sorry I Dont Have Any Good Suggestions On Quitting Im Still Trying To Figure Out The Correct Answers Daily
Old 12-20-2005, 03:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Arianwen, WELCOME!! I too had a problem w/drugs and self mutilation but it doesn't have to be that way! There is another way to live, something I didn't know for a long time. I just thought "this is how I made myself and now I gotta deal with it!" That being said , THERE IS SO MUCH HOPE! You have made a big step-ADMITTING to yourself and someone else you are an addict and you need help. You should be proud. Do you know anyone in recovery? Do you know where there are any meetings?(AA/NA) Going to a meeting would be a huge step in the right direction but I know it can be scary going alone...Is there anyone around to support you? What kind of drugs are u doing? Is a detox something you may need? If so, start making some calls for detoxes in your area! Which is where?maybe we can help u here..After a detox, I STRONGLY suggest going to a halfway house..5-7days is not going to fix ya. If you go to a program,you will be ble to build a foundation, and get so much more help, please think about it. I hope that this has given u some ideas! We are all here to support you in anyway we can. Don't lose hope, there is a better life waiting if your willing to do WHATEVER it takes to get it.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Finding my way

Thank you all very much for the kind welcome. I do hope to get to know all of you a little better. I'm afraid I'm a little backwards in coming forwards when it comes to accepting my problems - I know where they stem from, but just CANNOT talk about it. i don't know why, I've always been like that.

Sugah, I've tried rehab (3 times), counselling, talking to my GP etc. *shrugs* I can't pinpoint when or why it always seems to go wrong - but it does. I managed almost two weeks last year (which, for me, was an achievement), but that was the longest I've been without the drugs. To be honest, I think the reason for past relapses was probably because I didn't WANT the help. Now, that's not an issue - I NEED the help whether I want it or not. I've started to 'mix' drugs to try and sort myself out, but it's leaving me in a mess.

I find this incredibly difficult to talk about, but thank you for all your encouragement and support. It means so much - words cannot describe.

Love,
Arianwen
Old 12-20-2005, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Finding my way

Oh, and grateful2bsober - thank you! I only just caught this post. Just to read that, and know that I'm not alone with this is reassuring! You seem to have the right frame of mind and the determination to go wherever you want in life! I really don't feel proud though - I feel scared and ashamed.

I really don't think I can handle meetings right now, though. Thank you for the suggestion, but as I said in my earlier post - I just can't talk about all of this easily - especially face-to-face. I will think about it though hun.

You people are just wonderful.
Thank you all.

Love,
Arianwen
Old 12-20-2005, 04:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Arianwen
I just can't talk about all of this easily - especially face-to-face.
That can be a tough step but it is a very important step.

What you will find that helps in taking that step... Your not alone.
Others have come before you that have been through the same. The names are different but the issues are the same.

You are not the only one
You are not alone
People care and understand
There is help and support and people do get clean and sober... every day.
You can also.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey hun, I know it's scary and u might feel ashamed but THESE FEELINGS WILL PASS!! Whether you feel proud or not doesn't matter...just know I'm proud for you! And know that u have people that believe in you and will help you on your journey to get better. You are not alone. Everything takes time and when u are ready we will be here!! It does get easier and remember that no matter what is it that you may be feeling or going through, know that it will pass...no feeling or situation lasts forever....so if u just hold on w/ all your might....things do get better!!!
Old 12-20-2005, 04:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Arianwen,
I am glad that you found us here. You are among friends. I know how hard it is, especially at first. We can relate to this struggle that you are going through. I am also recovering from a drug addiction and it is hard at times but I am finally starting to feel better. Life does get better without drugs.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you !

You can do this!!!

Hugs,
Cheryl
Old 12-20-2005, 07:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is a very supportive community here. i have recently joined the forum and I have found so much information through the posts and the "sticky"s. From my experience here, my first suggestoin to you would be to check out the stickys and to checkout the AA and NA forums. they seem to have so much informatoin that I know I never really thought about before. Definately a good start and round the clock support. You might also look into some local meetings too.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

I can't help with the addiction part, but I am familiar with self-injury since I have done it since I was in the fifth grade. For me I am able to escape the painful emotions inside when I inflict physical pain on the outside. I'm typically hanging out in the mental health forum if you ever feel like talking or sharing over there.

Hugs,