Notices

What is rockbottom to you?

Old 12-18-2005, 11:41 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Phinneas
For me, getting into recovery was not about hitting my bottom. I hit bottom after bottom and kept digging. For me it was about hitting surrender. I gave up. I gave up trying to live and I gave up trying to die. That's when I got recovery.

That makes a lot of sense Phinny. It is when we are ready to surrender........
Old 12-18-2005, 11:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

I wanted to say that my bottom was when I couldn't decide whether to kill myself first and then kill her, or kill her first and then kill myself, but that isn't quite it.

My bottom, and the beginning of my recovery, was that moment when I said out loud to the woman who was my drug-of-choice, "I want my life back". She looked at my with ice-cold eyes and said, "I'll kill you..." I replied, "Good, because anything... is better... than living... with you".

That was my moment of clarity, and my springboard into recovery.

"When the pain is greater than the fear, that's when I change"--Earnie Larsen
Old 12-18-2005, 12:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Chy

Mine was emotional. I was sick, miserable, lonely, afraid, tired. I too wanted to be a better mom and wife, I wanted to be emotionally available and no longer run my life based on King Alcohol.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I've asked myself a few times lately what my breaking point was, exactly. I can't put my finger on it. The day I stopped drinking I had a horrific hangover. I'd drank about 12 beers the night before. I felt sick as usual. I just decided on June 19th 2005 that I had had enough.

I was tired of feeling sick all the time. Tired of being fat (I've since lost 25 lbs). Tired of planning my whole day around drinking time (5:00pm). Tired of the black-outs. Tired of alcohol running my life. SCARED to DEATH of people finding out what a mess I was. And even more scared of what my children were going to grow up to be like living with a miserable drunk of a mother.

You see, on the outside I was very much "together". But on the inside I was about as sad, lonely and sick as one can be. It took me a long time to get to the point of quitting (10 years) but I'm so glad I did it. Life has never been better than these past 6 months.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

My rock bottom was doing some criminal things to get high, and being sick and tired of being sick and tired, tried detoxing 18 times before i finnally got it right, and that was only within 10 months It felt like I was in detox everyweek, I didnt care I was only 22 years old and living on the streets, I thought I was having so much fun, Then it started to get cold, anyone from boston knows how bad the winter is, the on Oct 16 2005 I decided to hop on a plane and go to florida, been clean since, I havent been clean since I was 10, now only 22 I feel I lived a life time, doing the things i did and stuff I had been through, But i am here today and just had 60 days on Friday. Now I take it one day at a time.