Notices

First time here - where to start?

Old 12-14-2005, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time here - where to start?

I am a 31 year old married mom of one, and I've had issues with depression and anxiety pretty much since I hit puberty. Had those problems under relative control until I started to drink on a regular basis. Started out as on the weekend, the it was a couple nights a week, and then it was almost every night. Needless to say, in the past two years I have gained almost 40 lbs. and now seem to have gout in both of me ankles. Realizing that if I continued to drink I would probably wreck myself, I stopped about a week and a half ago. I think I am doing well, but to be honest I have no idea what to do next to one) make sure I keep sober and 2) repair some of the damage I have done to myself and my family.

Any pointers?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

First off welcome to SR and we are glad that you are here. I don't know if you have ever thought of going to AA but they kind of teach you how to do this what you are talking about. Here we take it one day at a time, and as far as repairing the damage, heck I am going to have to stay sober to do that. I have a lot of things that went sour but I can only attempt to clean it up by staying sober. Coming here on a regular basis helps, get a sponsor, go to meetings, work the steps, read the literature and don't drink..Hope that helped you if you have any more questions feel free to ask. Also I will send some good thoughts your way..

Love Vic
Old 12-14-2005, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bookchick
I think I am doing well, but to be honest I have no idea what to do next to one) make sure I keep sober and 2) repair some of the damage I have done to myself and my family.
Welcome, bookchick. You'll find lots of support and information here.

Yup, I am able to do both of those things by working an honest program of recovery in AA. Have you been to a meeting yet?
Old 12-14-2005, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, the problem is that I have kind of an aversion to AA. I have been to meetings in the past - not for myself but as support for people I was close to at the time. It just didn't sit right with me personally.

I'm not knocking it at all - I know quite a few people that it has helped immensely and I do think it's a great organization... it just wasn't for me.

But I will definitely look into the literature and do my darndest to stay sober!

Thanks for the support!
Old 12-14-2005, 04:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

They also have what is called a SMART thing I am not too sure how that works but I am sure someone like five or someone will be around to help you also with that..Good luck hope to see you around..

Love Vic
Old 12-14-2005, 04:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luckyv2
They also have what is called a SMART thing I am not too sure how that works but I am sure someone like five or someone will be around to help you also with that..Good luck hope to see you around..

Love Vic
Thank you! I am so glad I found this forum, because it's good to know I am not alone. Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

You know....it's funny....I didn't even mean to come into this forum and I typically only respond to depression/mental illness related posts and even though the title of your thread didn't hit that cord...I was still drawn to look at it. And low-and-behold....another depressed soul.

That's been happening to me a lot lately...hummm...hello HP...I'm listening

Check out these two threads...I believe you might find some helpful info.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...nce-79915.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...elp-79607.html

Then if you still feel up to it, you are always welcome to check out the Mental Health forum here at SR.

Welcome...and lotsa hugs,
Jenna
Old 12-14-2005, 05:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shutterbug
You know....it's funny....I didn't even mean to come into this forum and I typically only respond to depression/mental illness related posts and even though the title of your thread didn't hit that cord...I was still drawn to look at it. And low-and-behold....another depressed soul.

That's been happening to me a lot lately...hummm...hello HP...I'm listening

Check out these two threads...I believe you might find some helpful info.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...nce-79915.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...elp-79607.html

Then if you still feel up to it, you are always welcome to check out the Mental Health forum here at SR.

Welcome...and lotsa hugs,
Jenna
Thanks! I think this will help quite a bit, as I know that I felt so much stronger when I had the other issues under control.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bookchick...also...give the AA Forum here at SR a try. Might be sit better with you. Also, I'm sure you know this, but there are always different AA home groups to try. Different groups have different "feels" to them....kinda like a pair of shoes ...they all do the job just some feel much cozier.

But, if all else fails.....sit in on a few Alanon meetings and I think you will at least find those interesting and helpful in your life as well...since most alcholics are codies too.

And if still no luck???? Pick up the Alanon literature...you can even find some many of their books at garage sales and used book stores. I personally think Alanon should be used as a stepping stone to ease alcoholics into AA.

My dad shrieks at AA, but has been reading the Alanon book (I gave him for father's day) like it was the Bible. He loves it and he normally doesn't even read!
Old 12-14-2005, 05:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi bookchick, welcome to SR All the forums are worth checking out, plenty of support and info in them.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by me
Bookchick...also...give the AA Forum here at SR a try. Might be sit better with you.
I realize now how this sounds and I need to clarify that I was saying that an online AA forum might sit better with you than the "in-person" kind since you said you went to some, but felt uncomfortable.

I didn't mean that the MH forum wouldn't sit well....I love it...i consider it my "home" group.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
raerob

Welcome! You've already been given some good suggestions here. I, too, would recommend that you "shop around" for a meeting or two that "fit"...particularly now that you will be going for yourself instead of others. Try to identify with the feelings, even if the speakers were addicted to other substances. BTW...are you aware that alcohol is a depressant, so you were just adding to your depression?

I hope you and your doctor(s) are taking care of your physical needs, too.

Good luck...don't drink...make meetings, if you can...keep posting/reading at SR, which you definitely can!

Old 12-15-2005, 07:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I did know it was a depressant, and I would have mental battles with myself because I knew it was causing far more problems and yet I just couldn't say no. Well, I should say wouldn't say no. I am already feeling better after only a week, which just confirms what everyone is saying!

This is the first time that I have reached out and asked for support, and it is already making a difference in how I feel about my decision.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

keep us updated on how you are doing bookchick...
I hope things are well with you...