Notices

Scared Sober

Old 10-05-2006, 06:26 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Hiya Briobug! Welcome Aboard.
Originally Posted by briobug
I've never done any kind of...recovery or AA or anything before. So I'm not sure what I should be doing. For now I just don't drink. I guess that's good.
That's a good place to start! We're glad you're here.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:47 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.
Just wanted to say, what a great site! I've been reading for a while and decided to sign up and post on my first day of sobriety.

My own story: I was literally out of my mind. I think it must have been the quantity of beer and depression creeping up over time to develop symptoms, some real, some imagined that almost drew me to the point of psychosis - you know - that having a heart attack/panic attack/feeling you are going to die at any moment.
I hate doctors (probably phobic and also that I didn't want him to find out I am an alchy), but I made an appointment anyway.

Best decision I ever made though I was terrified. 38 hours and 46 minutes later I feel like a whole new poster(person).

Anyways, wish me luck. And good luck to all of you.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:55 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Here it is, Grizzled ... Good Luck!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 10-06-2006, 06:19 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Welcome Aboard, Grizzled. The panic/anxiety thing is pretty awful sometimes, but it goes away eventually. I still get it a little, but nowhere near as bad as it used to be.

Best of Luck! And may your Higher Power guide you.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:42 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Cheers fella. Went to my first AA meeting last night. What a relief to find so may like-minded and caring people. On day 2 now. Best I've felt in ages.

That feeling of joy after so long going without is priceless.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:58 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

That's Great, Grizzled! It gets even better.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:37 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Ready to quit...

I guess I should have posted here first, but I did put an intro post in the newbie area.

I've been drinking for far too long and realized this morining how self deceptive I can be about my drinking problem. I'm still having trouble even typing that I'm an alcoholic but I am, and I need to stop for my friends, my marriage and myself.

This site is great and has helped a great deal to harden my resolve; I'm sure it won't be easy but we can support each other through the process.

J
Old 10-08-2006, 11:21 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery, James009! If you put a post in the Newcomer forum, that's perfectly OK. You didn't have to stop by here 1st.

Sometimes it's not easy at first, but it gets better. Glad you're here!
Old 10-09-2006, 09:46 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

I have come to the realization that I have a drinking problem. My husband died last November 15 while we were on vacation of a massive heart attack. I have one daughter who is almost 17 and have been drowning my feelings in wine. It has been my crutch, evening comes and I pour myself some wine, one glass leads to another and another.
I want to stop but don't know how.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:34 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Thanks Midas for the vibe and information in your posts. I am new here and embarking on a new journey of Sobriety. I attended AA meetings last night and today, after a long absence from the program and a pretty awful relapse into alchohol use.

Its nice to be a couple of days sober, although I feel very edgy and anxious.

thanks for reading.

T.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:27 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Welcome standbyme & Terry56! Good to have you here. Making the decision to stop--either for the first time, or for the second time around--can be a difficult step.

The desire to stop, standbyme, is significant. Stick around and read the sticky notes and such & keep posting in the newcomer area for support.

Congrats, Terry56, on your sober time!
Old 10-10-2006, 08:09 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Thanks, Midas, for the welcome.

Today is a good day. I will attend 2 AA meetings today.

One is my old home group, which meets tonight. It will be good to be back in the fold.

I got good sleep last night for the first time in weeks. It really makes a difference in how I feel.

Anyway, Im glad to be here.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:41 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Glad to have you here, too. Keep coming back, it works when you work it.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:49 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Midas
One of my favorite sayings is, "The first two of anything can be difficult. The first two days...the first two weeks...the first two months...and not to mention the first two years!" You just have to hold on tightly.
Midas, i'm in the antiques/collectibles biz... we say ... one is one, two is two, and three is a collection... in recovery, we strive to have collections of three or more...
great thread...
xxoo Zip, in year three and more... ha!, its stil about more!.. in a good way. lol
Old 10-13-2006, 06:14 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Thx Rusty. I like collecting stuff too.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:36 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
Spiritual Progress,Not Perfect

Hi Midas, thanks for sharing your story! I'm new here, and I appreciated your story!
Old 10-16-2006, 05:53 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Thanks SoberSpirit. Welcome Aboard! I appreciate being appreciated.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:07 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

thanks midas :)

My thanks too Midas for your story and for the stories of eveyone else that comes here. I'm new here and on my 4th sober day. Aside from some sleepless nights and a bit of the sweats and headaches I'm doing ok (don't know why the headaches bother me, good grief I've had one long headache every morning in every hangover for years!) I'm really glad I found this site, after years of destruction it's so nice to come to a place that is positive and hopeful, can't tell you how much it means! I'm still trying to work out what I will need to do to keep staying sober but this is certainly a start, thanks again!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:48 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery, peely. The headaches will go away eventually. The sleeplessness, however, may linger. As in my case. I had to quit smoking & drinking coffee. But DANG, I sure sleep a lot better!

Trying to figure things out during the first couple weeks/months can be a challenge. Keep coming back!
Old 10-20-2006, 05:10 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

fallin off the wagon

Hi Midas,
Thanks for saying hi, I appreciate your welcome and advice. I drank yesterday. It just happened in a split second, I was really focussed about not drinking and I don't know what happened, suddenly was in the bottle shop and well you know the rest....same tired old story. I'd been so positive about staying sober and a lot of that had come from being in here and talking and listening and yet 'alcohol brain' was still working there in the background waiting to sabotage all my efforts. How do you switch that brain off? I'm sick of being sick and tired all the time yet the attraction for alcohol is still there. I'm a bit discouraged and cranky with myself but want to get back on the horse.....
thanks again for being here