Notices

Question

Old 12-01-2005, 07:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Question Question

I've got 2 weeks and 2 days free from Meth. Was a daily user by the end.
I did it for energy and to stay thin mostly.

I'm struggling a lot. But struggling is okay, eh. ;-)

It's getting easeir, Not right at the moment,
I've resorted to knawing on wire hangers. My fingernails are gone, and I go through the plastic hangers way to fast. ;-) Kidding.
I'm jonesing right now in a big way.

Two questions I guess. I have some things up my sleaves that I've been doing to not give in, but the hangers leave a bad after taste.

I am just wondering what everyone does, or what works for them to get past this.

I know it's going to go away soon, but right now, my hands were shaking now it's most of my body.

Taking walks helps, running helps, but it's freezing outside and about to rain.
I know meeting help also, I'm just wondering about the other things that have helped people....

Next question. I'm sure some of you have experienced the needing sensation of when you first wake up in the morning and needing your fix.

My mornings can be the worst, this is probably more so for anyone who used substances to wake them up.

I don't even know how to explain how hard it is to wake up, and then it takes a long time to wake up after I'm awake.

Anyone have the magic potion. ;-)
Kidding. Just don't know if there is something else I can try to get back to a civilized existence.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Done-With-It for me journaling helps, talking to my sponsor or a close friend, reading the Big Book, and lots of meetings. I am doing 90 in 90 days because everytime in the past I didn't and I would relapse (this time around). Meetings have been the best for me. It is hard describe the relief they bring when you go everyday. And then you meet others in recovery and meet people you can call and talk to even if they aren't a sponsor. In your case NA might be what you need but they do the 90 in 90 also. And a lot of people will go out for coffee or something after meetings which helps too.

Coming here and sharing is a good start. It keeps you occupied and gives you a chance to vent and make friends.

Let me know how you are doing. BTW do you drink coffee, thought that might help you to get going in the morning. Also the longer you are sober the easier it will become. Unfortunatley it takes time for your body to get back on track.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Thank You for that.
Everything helps right now.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

A nice long hot shower.

On those mornings when I feel like I need something to get me moving. The coffee pot seems so far away. Am grumpy to the point, I don't even want to use the energy to go get some coffee but I know I need to get up...
I muster up what energy I can and just take a nap in a nice long shower. If it is long enough, the cold water will finish the wake up *LOL* If it isn't that long... the shower in and of itself is real nice and refreshing.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Hey,

The shower thing is a really good idea. I have to use the shower when I get the physical cravings sometimes, and it works. I've gotten into a habit of taking a shower at night time more than the day. Guess that's cause I used to never sleep and I'd take a lot of showers everyday. ;-)

I'm going to force myself into the shower right when I first wake up tomorow.

Oh by the way, I HATE coffee, but I AM a diet pepsi freak!
Old 12-01-2005, 11:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Done-With-It
but I AM a diet pepsi freak!
One cup of coffee a week for me.
Diet coke freak 24 hours a day.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Hello Done-with-it--I have heard that an apple does more to get you going than a cup of coffee. It might be worth a try. Also, try to remember to take it easy on yourself. None of us got into the messes we were in overnight, and we won't get out of them that quickly either. Be good to yourself. Try to concertrate on the small improvments. If you continue to stay clean, they will get bigger and bigger until one day you realize--Hey! I woke up this morning and felt great! What a miracle!

Hugs--
Old 12-02-2005, 04:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
"The BAND" workshop ROCKS!

A little quiet meditation. I awake, get myself up and about- whether that an am shower or not is up to you. THen I try to sit quietly and empty all thoughts from my head. This is meditation. Many people have the wrong idea and try to meditate ON something. Think of meditation as the oposite of thinking, it's thinking about nothing really. This kind of centeres me and gives a blank slate to start the day. Then I slowly allow the day to unfold.

Create a to-do list if you're having trouble getting things accomplished. At first, it was just a couple housekeeping chores, then a walk, then some actual paying work. I'm still only good for like 4-6 hours a day, but it's better than I was.

Meetings are good ways to start the day. My fave is a nooner at a club near me, but it became apparent that I was sleeping until 11, going to nooner, then lunch and fellowship and I wasn't getting going until like 2:30. So I changed to a 7 am meeting with a walk afterwards. That REALLY got things going.

Remember, it's an action plan, not a thinking plan. Don't think alone.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Wow, some awesome ideas. Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like the meditation idea, but I have a huge ADD problem and not thinking or stopping my racing thoughts is harder right now than I think it ever has been. It did remind me of something that used to do wonders for me called the Morning Pages though. It's similiar to what you described but you just write 3 pages of whatever it in your mind to get it out of there. :-) Lulu ~ Thanks for the reminder and tips. I never see my improvements no matter how small. Too wrapped on being better than I am now. Ughh
Thanks again, these tips are all helping a lot.

:-)