Notices

Methadone Maintenance

Old 11-28-2005, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On a Wing and a Prayer

Methadone Maintenance

Hey, guys. I am new to SR and also to recovery so bear with me. I am a heroin addict and have been addicted to opiates for almost 10 years. I am doing my best to stay clean and sober, but the cravings are making me very weak. Does anyone have any experiences they can share with me about methadone or suboxone? I really think I need something to help me with this addiction, in addition to attending meetings. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2005, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, webhostgirl. Members of SR who have experience with both will be along soon, I'm sure. In the meantime, pull up a chair, take a read around and keep posting. We're glad you're here.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
In Paradise!

I completely forgot about Subutex but I hear it works well for withdrawl symptoms, no personal experience. I also hear its pricey...

Hope it helps
Old 11-29-2005, 10:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

suboxone vs. methadone

I too was a heroin addict and have experience with both drugs. i used the lethadone to lower my tolerance and just finished a detox schedule with a doctor on suboxone. i can tell you this much. the withdrawls, physically at least were much better comiong of the subutonex than meth or heroin. i have been without any opiotes for 10 days now and am on naltrexone, which if you are succesful in detoxing, may be a great fit for you. if you find you cant get far enough away from the opiates then you maywant to consider methadone or sub maintenance. but i am sure everone here would agree that the goal is to be truly grug free. please IM me or email me at salvitore******.com. i dont have the respect or value of some posters here who have been clean for much lomger but perhaps i can help you get thrpught the early stages as the experience is so fresh in my mind.

sal
Old 11-29-2005, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Originally Posted by salvitore
.... i dont have the respect or value of some posters here who have been clean for much lomger but perhaps i can help you get thrpught the early stages as the experience is so fresh in my mind.
Hey! You've got MY respect, friend! You've battled a horrific demon and won! I think you're awesome, Sal. Please keep posting, k? And that was wonderful advice, by the way.

Hi there, webhostgirl. I am a 10-year hydrocodone addict, and after trying taper after taper after taper and failing every time, only to up my dosage because of my disappointment with my failure, my life was spiraling downward quickly, I was killing myself, and my family was disgusted with me. I finally spent a few days calling doctors in a 50-mile radius to find an addictionologist who could treat me as soon as possible. I had to wait a few weeks (during which I worked on tapering ... which seemed easier, because I knew an end was finally in sight) and I also had to drive a pretty long distance, but it was a Godsend. I have been on Suboxone for six months, along with anti-depressants, and I am very active with NA, and I've never felt this good in all my life! I promise you there is a way out. There are many options, but I'm just sharing what worked for me. I work very closely with my doctor, who is working with me and my insurance company to help taper me off the Sub in a one-year period. My life is getting back on track. Life is great!

PM me if you'd like to know more about my Sub experience, k? I'm happy to talk about it. I also have an old post around here somewhere with my whole story of getting on the Sub.

Good luck! Stick around and please keep posting.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time4Change
Hey! You've got MY respect, friend! You've battled a horrific demon and won! I think you're awesome, Sal. Please keep posting, k? And that was wonderful advice, by the way.
Great post and let me tell you that you made MY day. I hope we can both(and all of us) help this webhostgirl get to where i am now, you are presently, and beyond!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
In Paradise!

This is the rehab I went to and there take on detox and Subutex

Hope if helps

http://www.drug-rehabilitation.com/detox.htm
Old 11-29-2005, 05:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
On a Wing and a Prayer

Smile

Thanks for all of the replies and encouragement. I am hanging on minute by minute. All I know is I don't want to use and I need all the help I can get.